RHCP Concert tonight = NOT GOOD

pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Went to the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert tonight in Milwaukee. I'll say I was not very impressed. First off for $70 I would expect more than an hour and 40 min. setlist. Very weak IMO. I guess we are spoiled with Pearl Jam who always plays well over 2 and even when they opened for Petty they played a tad over 1 1/2 hrs. The setlist also lacked many classics that they should have played (Suck My Kiss, My Freinds, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and many other older songs). Anthony's voice didn't sound all that well either. They went on at 9 and beer sales were cut off at 9:30 also pretty weak when you are playing the BREW city. Don't think I'll go see them again. Just my .02. I'm glad when I pay to see PJ I'm gettin' my money's worth.
Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Saw them in DC a few weeks ago.

Walked out of the arena saying "Thank God I Have Pearl Jam"
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • well a few points here

first, pj also cuts beer sales shortly after they hit the stage

and second, and not that you would have known, but the peppers haven't played much of their older stuff for a while now, easily since before john came back, seen them at least every tour since then and with few exceptions they have been touring behind post-californication material, i was excited to see breaking the girl back in 03, and soul to squeeze in 05

sooooo yes any pearl jam fan would be let down after a chili peppers show, it's hard to compare their live shows, the bands are just in different places
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i don't understand how people have bad experiences at RHCP concerts. the only complaint i could come up with is little to no variation in set lists each day but any time i saw them it was awesome.

they usually have AWESOME openers... Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Mars Volta are openers i have seen.. and back in the day, Pearl Jam opened for them!

John Frusciante and Flea are M A ZING to see. they are living legends IMO. i did miss some of the older songs at the last show i was at but they did a ROCK OUT version of Nobody Weird Like Me (definite highlight). Crowd energy tends to be fun.. only bad experience i have had is leaving a show into a torrential downpour and not being able to find where the car was parked.. but that was counterbalanced by me catching "Chad's Funkblaster"!

besides, having PJ as a "live band standard" will not be good to have=p they have one of the best live shows out there. thats like saying every basketball player should be as good as michael jordan!
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    i love the albums but live they dont cut it. other than the shitty setlists it seems like chad and flea and john are all trying to solo througouth the whole show. now i think tey are all three some of the most talented musicians of our time but it just flow live.
  • clayton12 wrote:
    i love the albums but live they dont cut it. other than the shitty setlists it seems like chad and flea and john are all trying to solo througouth the whole show. now i think tey are all three some of the most talented musicians of our time but it just flow live.

well the peppers play their songs live pretty straight forward... so the solos, especially from john and flea are obvious

take any peppers album and compare it to a pj album, or just listen to the arrangements by themselves, thats how the peppers are, they give equal attention to each band member, so naturally that comes out at their live shows too... pearl jam is more of an unselfish band, especially since vs, more cohesive and blended

i fucking love the chili peppers by the way, seeing john and flea play together live makes my jaw drop like no other, anybody who saw them at the borgata in 05 can back me up there... flea trumpet solo to start the second set, with john slowly coming in, and then chad...

***GOT EM***
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 335
    dont say the peppers play straigh forward. other that the opening and closing jams all of johns solo are imporivsed. though i love that about expanding the songs, it dosent fit. its sloppy.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    well a few points here

Not here in the Netherlands, we had beer before the show, during the show and after the show... :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • parel jam wrote:
    Not here in the Netherlands, we had beer before the show, during the show and after the show... :)

must be nice, ha ha... but i'm okay with the beer policy, i usually have lots of driving to do after the show so i need time to sober up

and clayton, my saying "straight forward" was in reference to their style... as in what you see on the albums are what you get during the shows, lots of free-flowing guitar solos and isolated bass lines, i was commenting on your post, that you love the studio albums but that live they don't cut it, with your reasoning that flea, john, and chad are "soloing" through the show, which doesn't make much sense to me considering how they write their music

that's all

***GOT EM***
  • yeah dude, all it takes is one look at their setlist and you realize "there is no way i would pay 50+ bucks let alone waste my freeness to see the most boring songs ever slightly off-key."

if they did a "pre-one hot minute" tour, i'd go.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    The seldom changing setlist and AK's voice are the only negative things i have to say about the Chili's live. They're awesome live.

Id like to hear them play 'My Friends' too, but i dont think they play any songs from OHM, since Dave Navarro was the axeman on that album.
    Ive never heard them play a song off it anyway.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    pureoc wrote:
    Went to the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert tonight in Milwaukee. I'll say I was not very impressed. First off for $70 I would expect more than an hour and 40 min. setlist. Very weak IMO. I guess we are spoiled with Pearl Jam who always plays well over 2 and even when they opened for Petty they played a tad over 1 1/2 hrs. The setlist also lacked many classics that they should have played (Suck My Kiss, My Freinds, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and many other older songs). Anthony's voice didn't sound all that well either. They went on at 9 and beer sales were cut off at 9:30 also pretty weak when you are playing the BREW city. Don't think I'll go see them again. Just my .02. I'm glad when I pay to see PJ I'm gettin' my money's worth.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Most bands don't like playing all of their back catalogue. It kinda means they are stale and even if the band is stale they usually don't want to admit it.

I saw the peppers and i knew what to expect going in so i guess that is why i enjoyed it. I think they play well.

Beer sales generally do cut off early at most shows i go to.

I wish everytime i saw pearl jam they play well over two hours. I've seen them 3 times and all three have been right around 2 hours or slightly under.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    pureoc wrote:
    9 and beer sales were cut off at 9:30 also pretty weak when you are playing the BREW city. .
    has nothing to do with the RHCP
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Well I'm goin' to see the Peppers in Champaign this weekend, so I'm hoping they play a lot of my favs. off Stadium Arcadium. But I heard they've been throwing in some BSSM songs in there more lately...this will only be my 2nd concert, PJ being my first and PJ FUCKING ROCKS!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    well a few points here

and second, and not that you would have known, but the peppers haven't played much of their older stuff for a while now, easily since before john came back, seen them at least every tour since then and with few exceptions they have been touring behind post-californication material, i was excited to see breaking the girl back in 03, and soul to squeeze in 05

sooooo yes any pearl jam fan would be let down after a chili peppers show, it's hard to compare their live shows, the bands are just in different places

This is Milwaukee you don't cut off beer sales. :D
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I used to be a pretty big fan, but after seeing them live I practically stopped listening to them altogether. The only album I ever play, and without much regularity, is One Hot Minute.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.