Anyone seen Interpol live?

SigEpCougarSigEpCougar Posts: 96
edited July 2007 in Other Music
If so, how are they?
http://www.myspace.com/sigepnader

History is the polemics of the victor...

LETS GO CARDINALS!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    I'm also interested in how are live. Also which album would be the best to start out with, I want to listen to their stuff since they will be at V-fest next month.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    several times, great musicians, very tight ... you'll hear a lot of comments "they sound just like the record." which some people like, and some people don't.

But, don't expect a lot of energy ... they have the whole "show gaze" thing going on ...

Actually, when I saw them at Coachella in April, they were a bit more energetic ... perhaps they are finding their stage presence ....
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    I'm also interested in how are live. Also which album would be the best to start out with, I want to listen to their stuff since they will be at V-fest next month.

Both of the first two are great, I'm partial to Turn on the Bright Lights.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    they're very faithful to the albums, which isn't a bad thing since they're able to transpond the atmoshpere/vibe of their albums to the stage, which a lot of bands have trouble doing.

I saw them at a club show and also at sasquatch. The club show was great but unfortunatley the sasquatch performance was right before the Beastie Boys and they were booed inbetween every song by dickweed beastie boy hardcores which caused for a short set and killed the energy of their sound.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    jimed14 wrote:
    several times, great musicians, very tight ... you'll hear a lot of comments "they sound just like the record." which some people like, and some people don't.

But, don't expect a lot of energy ... they have the whole "show gaze" thing going on ...

Actually, when I saw them at Coachella in April, they were a bit more energetic ... perhaps they are finding their stage presence ....

show gaze or shoe gaze?

btw i've seen them live on the cure festival tour a few years back... really good stuff.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I saw them 3 times in the span of 9 months at one point.

They are solid. Again they don't stretch things out. They don't get you going like Rage, but that is not to be expected from them. I would not go as far as saying they are shoe gazers but you don't see them getting wild on stage either.

a solid band but you won't see anyone tagging them with best live band slogan anytime soon.

If you enjoy their music i would go see them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    saw them at the forum when they toured antics. they had bloc party supporting them and that was one hell of a gig. they are a great live band. just don't expect lots of moshing or a circle pit!
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Since we thought there was a curfew at 11pm and there'd alreaddy been another opener in Dusseldorf...just couldn't wait for them to get the fuck out of the stage!!!

can't say that I found what I could find the patience to hear very interesting, seemed really 1-song band repeated over and over..but as I explained, not the best circumstances.

PJ should really either dispense with opening bands or make sure they play really early so we don't have to worry about them eating on PJ playing time and so can relax and try to enjoy them (might still not but at least could give it a try rather than resenting them). they're doing th eopeners a disservice the way they did it this year.
  • r2g2r2g2 Posts: 66
    Check them out..they are on Letterman tonite.

oh and my favorite album of theirs: ANTICS
    I said Yeaaaaaaah!
    show gaze or shoe gaze?

btw i've seen them live on the cure festival tour a few years back... really good stuff.

typo ... shoud be shoe ... obviously

Pegasus wrote:
    Since we thought there was a curfew at 11pm and there'd alreaddy been another opener in Dusseldorf...just couldn't wait for them to get the fuck out of the stage!!!

can't say that I found what I could find the patience to hear very interesting, seemed really 1-song band repeated over and over..but as I explained, not the best circumstances.

PJ should really either dispense with opening bands or make sure they play really early so we don't have to worry about them eating on PJ playing time and so can relax and try to enjoy them (might still not but at least could give it a try rather than resenting them). they're doing th eopeners a disservice the way they did it this year.

whoa ... now, if there *was* a curfew, I could understand you being a little worried ... but if there wasn't ... man, Interpol and (I think) The Futureheads? c'mon, open the mind a little ... that's an amazing 3 some, getting better and better with each set ...

I love the Futureheads and was psyched to find out they were opening in Munich, what a flippin bonus that was ... you were treated even more to get Interpol ...

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    If so, how are they?
    Tight.

Solid.

Particular.

Best dressed.

Daniel dances with his guitar. Sam keeps the beat. Paul stands there and sings. Carlos...well, I'm not sure how to describe what he does with his bass.

Tight and solid.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Saw them opening for Pj in Dusseldorf this year and was surprised in a positive way. They put on a nice little set despite the shitty sound. Made me want to see them again.
    Schoki wrote:
    Saw them opening for Pj in Dusseldorf this year and was surprised in a positive way. They put on a nice little set despite the shitty sound. Made me want to see them again.
    Glad to hear that.

I'm not surprised that people are pleasantly surprised when they see them live. with their personal and musical styles it really is a 50/50 shot as to whether they would be great live or if it's simply best to admire them in recorded form, only.

Fortunately for them they can pull it of in studio and on stage.

FaceSpace
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i saw them. i thought they were great. the problem i have with them is some of their songs sound the same..
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    jimed14 wrote:
    whoa ... now, if there *was* a curfew, I could understand you being a little worried ... but if there wasn't ... man, Interpol and (I think) The Futureheads? c'mon, open the mind a little ... that's an amazing 3 some, getting better and better with each set ...

I love the Futureheads and was psyched to find out they were opening in Munich, what a flippin bonus that was ... you were treated even more to get Interpol ...
    we didn't know there wasn't, we were told there was.

but Futureheads in Munich did not impress me. and Interpol did even less.. really all sounded the same to me.

Black Keys last year in Berlin on the other hand I liked ans went back to see them in London. and KOL I warmed to this year.

there's other bands I like but so far, as PJ openers, the balance is rather negative.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    just go see them, atleast if it's a smaller, more mid-size clubbish show. screw the haters and find out for yourself. it's worth it just to hear their drummer, he's a bad man to say the least.
  • Already been said, but so true, SOLID! More enjoyable in a smaller, indoor venue. Once i saw them at the weenie roast at an open-air show in the middle of the afternoon and it seemed off. Not their sound, it's just their vibe is dark and it didn't transfer well in that setting. I'm not digging their new cd as well as the first two. Not enough bass in my opinion, but still better then 99% of what's out there right now.
    OBAMA BABY
    Already been said, but so true, SOLID! More enjoyable in a smaller, indoor venue. Once i saw them at the weenie roast at an open-air show in the middle of the afternoon and it seemed off. Not their sound, it's just their vibe is dark and it didn't transfer well in that setting. I'm not digging their new cd as well as the first two. Not enough bass in my opinion, but still better then 99% of what's out there right now.
    I've always been of the mind that if Intepol is seen in the light of day that they'd burst into flames.

A mood, the cover of dark and blue stage lights and that band simply shines.

FaceSpace
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    barring Carlos they kinda stand there I felt. They sound decent enough but not a lot going on mobility wise.
    toddiet123 wrote:
    barring Carlos they kinda stand there I felt. They sound decent enough but not a lot going on mobility wise.
    Daniel's not terribly stationary.

FaceSpace