4-20-07 Chris Cornell at the Avalon in Boston

TremormanTremorman Posts: 385
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I went with three other friends to see Chris Cornell last night at the Avalon in Boston. I wasn't entirly sure what to expect because I had heard some of his live performances over the last few years with Audioslave and he was inconsistent. Sometimes his voice sounded great other times it was just tired sounding. But Holy mother of God! Last night more than put that notion to rest, it completely destroyed it. His voice was in top form, the setlist had just about every song you'd want to hear from him and his backing band was right with him playing every song note for note, just like you remember them. My personal favorite was Rusty Cage, the first set closer, the crowd was going nuts and Chris was just wailing, his voice completely filling the room. My other favorite was the unexpected Seasons from the singles soundtrack. I haven't heard the song in years and when I heard the slide guitar intro I couldn't believe it. It was a beautiful version with the crowd singing loud and proud with Chris. I don't have a complete setlist or the exact order, but I'll list the songs I remember:

Spoonman
Outshined
Original Fire
Like A Stone
Hungerstrike
Pretty Noose
Burden in my Hand
Redemption Song- Someone threw a Marley shirt to Chris, he thanked the guy and asked "How did you get it sweaty?" later he played this song for the guy

Seasons!!!
Can't Change Me
Doesn't Remind Me
Cochise
Rusty Cage
Say Hello to Heaven!!!
Safe and Sound- solo album song I think, which Chris touchingly dedicated to Virgina Tech

You Know My Name- James Bond soundtrack song
Ghost- solo album song, he said it was the first time being played live, great song

Black Hole Sun
Slaves and Bulldozers

I know I am missing a few, there were at least two other solo album songs but I don't know the titles. Anyway it truly was anhour and forty minutes of rock and roll bliss. The crowd was way into it, the venue was very intimate, and the music was mindblowing. Defintely in my top three or four concerts Ive ever seen.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Tremorman wrote:
    I went with three other friends to see Chris Cornell last night at the Avalon in Boston. I wasn't entirly sure what to expect because I had heard some of his live performances over the last few years with Audioslave and he was inconsistent. Sometimes his voice sounded great other times it was just tired sounding. But Holy mother of God! Last night more than put that notion to rest, it completely destroyed it. His voice was in top form, the setlist had just about every song you'd want to hear from him and his backing band was right with him playing every song note for note, just like you remember them. My personal favorite was Rusty Cage, the first set closer, the crowd was going nuts and Chris was just wailing, his voice completely filling the room. My other favorite was the unexpected Seasons from the singles soundtrack. I haven't heard the song in years and when I heard the slide guitar intro I couldn't believe it. It was a beautiful version with the crowd singing loud and proud with Chris. I don't have a complete setlist or the exact order, but I'll list the songs I remember:

Spoonman
    Outshined
    Original Fire
    Like A Stone
    Hungerstrike
    Pretty Noose
    Burden in my Hand
    Redemption Song- Someone threw a Marley shirt to Chris, he thanked the guy and asked "How did you get it sweaty?" later he played this song for the guy

Seasons!!!
    Can't Change Me
    Doesn't Remind Me
    Cochise
    Rusty Cage
    Say Hello to Heaven!!!
    Safe and Sound- solo album song I think, which Chris touchingly dedicated to Virgina Tech

You Know My Name- James Bond soundtrack song
    Ghost- solo album song, he said it was the first time being played live, great song

Black Hole Sun
    Slaves and Bulldozers

I know I am missing a few, there were at least two other solo album songs but I don't know the titles. Anyway it truly was anhour and forty minutes of rock and roll bliss. The crowd was way into it, the venue was very intimate, and the music was mindblowing. Defintely in my top three or four concerts Ive ever seen.

Great show - last night - think Hungerstrike was 3rd - missing No Such Thing -foggy about the details myself - great great show.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• rmnsf936rmnsf936 Posts: 58
    It was cochise then Safe and Sound, then Rusty Cage, and Say Hello to Heaven started off the first encore. Black Hole Sun ended the first encore, Slaves was the only song in the second encore.
  • NitroNitro Posts: 265
    I cannot agree more at how sick this show was.

I also didn't know what to expect, but he brought it last night. Total kick ass show. I can't even put it into words...
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    That is pretty much the PERFECT set list, in my opinion. Wish I was there. Zero Chance would have been a nice addition, but I'll take S&B over that any day. Can't wait until Sunday!
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • rmnsf936rmnsf936 Posts: 58
    I love what the new band did at the ending of Black Hole Sun. I hope someone posts a bootleg or video of it.
  • Wow. Just wow. Slaves & Bulldozers. How was his voice on that?
  • bobbyd3bobbyd3 Posts: 89
    Anyone got any info on where I can track down a bootleg of last nights show, It was incredible.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Wow. Just wow. Slaves & Bulldozers. How was his voice on that?

yeah

spill the beans
  • thossythossy Posts: 59
    Wow. Just wow. Slaves & Bulldozers. How was his voice on that?

It was so good that it's been stuck in my head all day.

although the from the encores on it was such a blur

if anyone knows of a boot pass it along!!!!
    98 MSG I
    04 Boston I
    06 Hartford, Boston I+II
    08 Hartford, Mansfield I+II
    08 EV Solo Boston I+II
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yeah

spill the beans

He stayed away from the super high notes all night, but sounded great otherwise.