No more!!!! No More!!!!! NO MORE!!!!!!!! NO MORE PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!

pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Phil Collins is reportedly retiring after 30 years of ruining the music industry. He recently completed a reunion tour with Genesis and announced on Friday, April 25, 2008 that he will not be releasing any more garbage or do any further tours. Collins wants to enjoy a relaxing life, but may continue to write the most annoying songs this planet will ever see. He hopes to use his time to indulge in his favorite hobby which is collecting memorabilia from the Battle of the Alamo, and making people deaf. He said:

"It's not that unusual for a man of my age who grew up reading (books about American hero) Davy Crockett."

Well, good for him, he doesn't need the money and he should be enjoying his life after annoying the hell out of people with the sense of hearing for over 30 years. It's rude/evil that he gave fans an opportunity to see Genesis on their recent reunion tour.

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Best day of my life!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    pjtaper wrote:
    Phil Collins is reportedly retiring after 30 years

good....he sucks
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    hmmm, kina torn on this one. Had many middle school make out sessions in Jr. High because of that guy.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    hmmm, kina torn on this one. Had many middle school make out sessions in Jr. High because of that guy.

Phil Collins as a wingman? now I've heard it all
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Phil Collins as a wingman? now I've heard it all

girls in the 80's were all about that shit.
  • good
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    He will sadly still be alive through radio.
    GOD DAMN tho! That is some good news! :)
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'll agree that Phil's output really went to shit, but his first solo album (Face Value) is a pretty good disc, as are the Genesis self titled and Abacab.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Having said all that, listen to his drumming on John Martyn's "Lookin' On". It's masterful, and sensitive.

http://www.last.fm/music/John+Martyn/_/Lookin%27+On
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Having said all that, listen to his drumming on John Martyn's "Lookin' On". It's masterful, and sensitive.

http://www.last.fm/music/John+Martyn/_/Lookin%27+On

yeah but you're john martyn biased. we're wise to you mister. ;):p:D

anyhoo all together now... sing it with me jammers... none of you are too cool for this...

there's a girl thats been on my mind...all the time... ssssudio....
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    yeah but you're john martyn biased. we're wise to you mister. ;):p:D

anyhoo all together now... sing it with me jammers... none of you are too cool for this...

there's a girl thats been on my mind...all the time... ssssudio....

One of my fave songs is by Phil Collins.. "In the Air Tonight" reminds me of some bad days with my father when I was a child. We can leave it at that. I also was a fan of "Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas for the same reasons. I could relate to things that were said with the feelings that we churning inside of me.. and ironically I was recently told that EVERYONE hates Kansas, everyone except me, I suppose.

Peace
    Just me
    Zanne wrote:
    One of my fave songs is by Phil Collins.. "In the Air Tonight" reminds me of some bad days with my father when I was a child. We can leave it at that. I also was a fan of "Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas for the same reasons. I could relate to things that were said with the feelings that we churning inside of me.. and ironically I was recently told that EVERYONE hates Kansas, everyone except me, I suppose.

Peace

hates kansas? i am such a fan of the wizard of oz. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    hates kansas? i am such a fan of the wizard of oz. :p:D

funny funny. =)

That's my favorite book/movie btw lol
    Just me
    Zanne wrote:
    funny funny. =)

That's my favorite book/movie btw lol

yeah but... when you watch the movie, do you dance along with the tinwoodsman? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    (Where's Bateman? No Genesis/Collins thread is complete without him.)

I grew up listening to Genesis and some solo Phil, so I don't hate him as much as others do. Jesus He Knows me is not a bad song at all. Really. It's not.
    No, really.
    REALLY!
    I like the Brit-Dry humour.
    Really.
    yeah but... when you watch the movie, do you dance along with the tinwoodsman? :)

No, I sing and dance with the Lollipop Guild!
    Just me
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    merkinball wrote:
    I'll agree that Phil's output really went to shit, but his first solo album (Face Value) is a pretty good disc, as are the Genesis self titled and Abacab.
    agreed. Face Value and his second solo record Hello, I Must Be Going are both quite awesome. the self titled Genesis record is amazing too. not a fan of ABACAB but i do like Duke.

one of my favorite Phil songs is "Like China". love his snotty British vocal delivery. "Easy Lover" was always one of my favorite songs as a child, love the drums on that one. "I Don't Care Anymore" is just as stellar as "In The Air Tonight". "The Roof Must Be Leaking" is another great song from Face Value.

love the chapter in American Psycho dedicated to Genesis too.... great scene in the movie too.
  • in all seriousness though, everyone DOES hate Kansas.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    one of my favorite Phil songs is "Like China". love his snotty British vocal delivery.

Bad (psycho high school girlfriend) memories of that one! But yeah, Hello, I Must Be Going is a pretty good album too.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Seriously retiring? Heh.. Mom's gonna be torn up when she hears about this..
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • does this mean no more Miami Vice cameos?

god i'm old.
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    wow...there's a lot of hate out there for the man...

I'll put my cards on the table:

I love 90% of the Genesis catalogue

I enjoy Phil's first two solo albums and parts of the third one

Phil was a masterful drummer (listen to his drumming with Brand X, for example) and he had a great voice and a terrific sense of melody

I like Kansas - Icarus/Wings of Steel is an awesome song
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    One of my favorite bands in the 80's, along with Phil's solo records. One of my favorites has to be *Three Sides Live* Missed this recent tour but I did get their LIVE disc which was good not as good as TSL.

For some reason one of my favorite songs has to be *Lonely Man On The Corner*

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    There's some on this board that confess to liking Justin Timberlake for frig's sake!
    He also drummed on Brian Eno's Another Green World album and John Cale's Helen Of Troy.

Face Value and ....But Seriously are fine, easy listening albums.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    I'm a big fan of his first 2 cds and his drumming

Absolutely loved the solo tour he did with the horns(tower of power?) back in the early 1980's.

Maybe all of this info is so that they can get their ducks in a row and wait for Peter to finally say "Ok let's tour". Fingers crossed.
  • I now believe in God.

Thanks the Goddess that the man is calling it quits...he should have done it years ago.
    Nothing you can ever do
    Still every night I burn
    Every night I scream your name
    Every night I burn
    Every night the dream's the same
    Every night I burn
    Waiting for my only friend
    Every night I burn
    Waiting for the world to end...
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    He's extremely talented as a writer, singer, pianist, drummer, etc. Just not your thing I guess. In addition to the Genesis, and solo career stuff, and everything else others mentioned, I thought he did a great job drumming on Robert Plant's 1st couple of solo albums.

Such venom in the original post should be unleashed on bands like "No Doubt" where her voice sounds like a duck, or people like Axl Rose who sounds like a circular saw cutting through a sheet of plywood.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river