Options

My best friend try to commit suicide (pj related)

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited May 2009 in The Porch
The other night i found my best friend trying to kill himself by strangulation with a phone wire in a public telephone box. He's been suffereing from depression for a while and the other night was basically rock bottom. I sat with him in A@E (accident and emergency) at the hospital all evening as he spoke to counsellors and thankfully things look like they're going to be on the mend soon. He's an amazing person with a good heart and a very good guitar player and I'm just so happy that counselling has been arranged and things are moving forward positively

By chance I listened to Riot Act today for the first time in 2 years and found the lyrics to 'Save You' so moving, found myself full of tears. I guess in a weird way I just want to say thank you to Pearl Jam, the band who have always been there for me now for nearly 10 years.

'You helped me when I was down...I'll help you when you're down
Why are you hitting yourself come on and hit me instead'

Thank you.
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    wow. that sucks. hopefully they realize how short and sweet life is on its own and that compared to someone else in the world, they are lucky in some way. you are a good friend. good luck, stay strong for them and pray!
    g$
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    pray for him dude... thats all you can do.

good luck man.
    http://www.myspace.com/cravingstrangemusic <- my band
    MSG - NYC - 9-10-1998
    MSG - NYC - 9-11-1998 (BEST FKING SHOW!)
    Jones Beach - 8-25-2000
    Nassau Coliseum - 4-30-2003
    Irving Plaza - 5-5-06 (another great show)
    New Jersey - 6-1-06
    MSG - NYC - 6.24.08
  • Options
    JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    I've always found Save You an incredibly moving song. It embodies the compassion, frustration, desparation, love, and struggle that comes from standing by someone's side through an immense life event. It speaks to the reality that there are so many souls affected by the actions of one - more victims than the actual victim.

Love to you and your friend and may you take care of yourself through this too.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear about your friend, and hope things turn around in his life.

I also want to caution you that it sounds like your friend's attempt was not a very high probability attempt, meaning there is a chance that he was reaching out for help more than trying to end his life. As people with severe depression begin to lift out of their depression, there is a higher likelihood that they will make a serious attempt to end their life, especially when anti-depressants are in the mix. This is largely because in the throws of severe, acute depression, many people don't have the energy or motivation to make a real attempt, but as the depression starts to lift they have more energy and drive, and that is when a lot of suicides occus.

I say this to caution you to be there and be cognizant of his behaviors. If you would like to PM me, I can share with you some things to watch for... but I don't want to hijack this thread and go into group therapy on this board.

I hope this is helpful.

PEACE!!!
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    He is lucky to have you as a friend. Hang in there, and he'll relize it in time. Hopefully your support and the music will seep through and clear things up.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    that's a really good story. he's lucky to have a friend like you.

my sister took her life in June and I still am haunted by it everday..some people just get so down and caught up in there sadness they lose themselves from reality.

i'm sure i'm telling you something you already know, but just be there for a friend
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    The other night i found my best friend trying to kill himself by strangulation with a phone wire in a public telephone box. He's been suffereing from depression for a while and the other night was basically rock bottom. I sat with him in A@E (accident and emergency) at the hospital all evening as he spoke to counsellors and thankfully things look like they're going to be on the mend soon. He's an amazing person with a good heart and a very good guitar player and I'm just so happy that counselling has been arranged and things are moving forward positively

By chance I listened to Riot Act today for the first time in 2 years and found the lyrics to 'Save You' so moving, found myself full of tears. I guess in a weird way I just want to say thank you to Pearl Jam, the band who have always been there for me now for nearly 10 years.

Thank you.

It really is such an amazing powerful song... why don't you play it to him?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Stay in your positive space. Keep yourself safe!

To dcfaithfull: I too lost a sibling. My brother hanged himself in July 2006.I am still haunted. It gets easier, but it will take time. If you ever wanna pm me, please do. It helps to share with others, who have felt such tragic loss.

As stated earlier, "they" leave more victims in their path.
    Life Wasted is also a song I played alot. Music is therapy.
    "The world awaits ,just up the stairs
    Leave the pain for someone else.
    Nothing back there for you to find,..
    Or was it you, you left behind?"

Peace
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's Soul remains Unawakened.
    Anatole France
  • Options
    It is always amazing how much this band's music can touch people and in such different ways. Beautiful.

I hope your friend can get some help and gets sorted out. Depression is so terrilble and so many people don't take it seriously because you cant' "see it".. but I think you can if you are looking. Your friend is very lucky to have you. Take care.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    he is very lucky to have a friend like you to stand by his side - wish you both the best :)
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    best wishes to you my pj friend

if he hasnt experienced PJ, introduce it to him and maybe, just maybe, he can find some positive from it and use it in his own life to help heal

hang in there....

life is too precious
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,311
    your a good friend to be there for this person god knows he will need you again to be there ,i agree with you about SAVE YOU how can people not like this song is beyond me ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Save You is such an amazing song. But it really hit me after I read your post and related it to your friend's situation. I hear that song in a whole new way now. It is so much more inspirational to me now. It would be an amazing thing to think that somehow Pearl Jam's music could bring some light and love into your friend's life and give him hope for the future. Much love to you and your friend.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam music is very healing and liberating.
    Save You is a great example for you and your friends situations, but
    there are more songs you can relate to, Im sure. But this one is prefect.

I personally find their music very liberating and just listen to it when I'm down to take all my feelings out, crying and just getting it all out, figuring things out.
    I feel a lot better after. Hope you both will work this out, with and/or without music helping, but it sure isnt a distraction.
    Hang in there and play Save You for them when the right time comes :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Save You is one of my top 10 fav PJ songs. It's so powerful.

I'm glad it moved you, I'm sad that it hit you this way.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
    Joanne wrote:
    ..It speaks to the reality that there are so many souls affected by the actions of one - more victims than the actual victim..

I want to say that this is absolutely dead on.

Cropduster84, good luck.
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 650
    sorry to sound like a dick and make light of your friend's situation, because it is a serious problem, but when i read the title to this thread, my first thought was, "he only TRIED to commit suicide, it was just a call for help."

i just had to laugh when i read that he "called for help" in a telephone booth.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    go pre: You sound more APATHETIC & IGNORANT!!
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's Soul remains Unawakened.
    Anatole France
  • Options
    Sorry for your friend Cropduster84. I hope everything turns out well for the both of you.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    geez, sad story, hope all is well, and all becomes well. Just talk to him, and look at thye positives of life,. All the best, Save you is a wicked track
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    i can remember the night my sister tried to kill herself... i sat in my car in my garage and just blasted ten... that CDs never sounded better

im sorry to hear about your friend and im glad PJ has been able to help you the same way theyve helped so many of us over the years
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 650
    Obsidian22 wrote:
    go pre: You sound more APATHETIC & IGNORANT!!
    yes, maybe so, but you can't deny my point. this guy has problems, but he really did not want to kill himself. if he was serious about it, he would have found a better way than using a phone wire in a phone booth. it's a good thing he has caring people around to answer his call for help before he does something more drastic.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    go pre wrote:
    yes, maybe so, but you can't deny my point. this guy has problems, but he really did not want to kill himself. if he was serious about it, he would have found a better way than using a phone wire in a phone booth. it's a good thing he has caring people around to answer his call for help before he does something more drastic.

I appraciate your opinion, but you're wrong, sorry.

But thanks to everyones support, we are sorting out the right counselling for him.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142

Thank you.
    spooky... 'save you' was playing on my computer as i read the post...
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I agree about the healing and liberating post earlier.
    Their music has often given me a reason to live, to feel alive.

Hope your friend gets well, stay strong.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    i hope he gets better, and glad you drew strength from pj, all the best cropduster..
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    I am very happy you were able to stop your friend.. he is really lucky that you were there.... as terrible as depression is, it can be overcome. Thank you for being there for your friend!!

Sadly, I/we were not so lucky with a friend here in the midwest... it's been a year, but we our lost friend to suicide... I wrote a song to help me cope, and her other friends as well... it's in the Poetry Prose and Art section tool...

untitled

there's something out there in the growing distance
    you can feel it but you cannot see the light
    and moreover there's a dismal subtext
    everyone declaring that they thought you might

somewhere out there in the ever after
    is a feeling you were chasing all your life
    all the pieces that were never fitting
    and the judgements handed down that just weren't right

where have you gone
    where have you gone?
    i'm holding on
    holding on
    i'm coming back for you

we'll always question if we could've saved you
    and all the signs that we just didn't want to see
    when all your critics once again forsake you
    just forget them... honey, you are finally free

somewhere out there in the growing distance
    there's a reason and a purpose all your own
    i know you're out there somewhere ever waiting
    i know you're out there trying to find your way back home

where have you gone
    where have you gone?
    i'm holding on
    holding on
    i'm coming back for you
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Very cool, wish I could write something that good.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014