What's the problem with you guys

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Why don't you just try to appreciate a song or a band for what they are and not by judging the musicians of a band for a stupid reason as "they play commercial songs". Why are you limiting yourself like that! My god...

Coldplay is commercial but Pearl Jam aren't.. what the fuck..

PEARL JAM ARE FUCKING COMMERCIAL !!!

my 2 cents..

P.-S.: I'm really not as angry as I seem !!!
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Every band bar and large are in it to be commerical. If they don't they won't survive. Rory Gallagher never released singles and was quoted as saying that he didn't want to be a top of the pops man. He toured enlessly to make his money(not much mind). If he had released a few singles he needn't have toured so much.
  • Many people are just in denial about their favorite bands being commercial. Even the members of Pearl Jam were in denial about it for a while.

However, I think by "too commercial" people mean the music sounds manufactured so it will be marketable to a large, diverse audience. Coldplay sounds like that to me sometimes, as well as Linkin Park, Nickelback, Audioslave, etc. That's why bands like these become so successful. They could be sold to a huge audience, whereas Pearl Jam's new single probably won't grab as many people. They still have a large fanbase, but that's a totally different thing than record sales.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    fada wrote:
    Every band bar and large are in it to be commerical. If they don't they won't survive. Rory Gallagher never released singles and was quoted as saying that he didn't want to be a top of the pops man. He toured enlessly to make his money(not much mind). If he had released a few singles he needn't have toured so much.

If he would have released singles it probably wouldn't have mattered a whole lot. Bands do not make much money off of albums and singles unless they sell millions of copies. Rory Gallagher was not the type of artist who could put out a single that would sell 3-4 million copies. Bands need to tour and/or do promotional gigs to make money, period.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,232
    nothing what's wrong with you ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    He had a song off "Against the Grain" which had the same type of vibe as "Freebird" . It could have been huge but he didn't want it released. I don't think that he wanted the success. I think that it was done to the fact that the old blues players never had it and he felt that to play the blues you had to be kind of non commerical.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    McCready00 wrote:
    Why don't you just try to appreciate a song or a band for what they are and not by judging the musicians of a band for a stupid reason as "they play commercial songs". Why are you limiting yourself like that! My god...

my 2 cents..

you probably couldn't do the same with Justin Timberlake and just appreciate his songs without judging him first and that's too bad.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Ritalin anyone?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • You know what I can't stand? Is when people complain about a band allowing their song to be played in a commercial. Who the fuck cares. Really.

I don't judge a band on how 'commercial' they are. If I like the music... it's all that matters.
    Cock Fight.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    You know my problem is with manufactured music and bands not commercial music, to me it feels hollow, like sure they can sing or whatever but when there is no feeling there it makes it seem worthless, empty and shallow like Spice Girls, Pussycat Dolls, and other bands who basically just perform the music for a record company excec. to get rich.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    McCready00 wrote:

my 2 cents..

my reason for disliking coldplay isn't because their songs are commercial, my reason is that, in my opinion, their songs are crap :) I like music based on quality, not coolness or by how underground it is.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    McCready00 wrote:

my 2 cents..

chill out
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • paddypaddy Posts: 104
    I don't judge music. I just think 99% of it sucks.
    Hello, is there anybody in there?
  • paddy wrote:
    I don't judge music. I just think 99% of it sucks.
    Lol.
    99% is a little much though..... gotta go with 83%.
    It just feels right.
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • paddypaddy Posts: 104
    Lol.
    99% is a little much though..... gotta go with 83%.
    It just feels right.
    Too low, man. Think about it. There are millions of shite songs out there, millions I tell ye.
    Hello, is there anybody in there?
  • i don't care about Coldplay being commercial or not.

they're still a boring-ass band who write incredibly boring, bland songs.
  • coldplay isn't bad at all. It's the bands like Nickelback, Godsmack, Puddle of Mud, those types of bands that I just can't stand, they are like cookie cutter bands. I am not a huge fan of current pop music but you know what, I have seen Justin Timberlake perform live and honestly, he's a pretty good performer. He's no Stevie Wonder but he was enjoyable. I try to listen to something new everyday. Whether it be jazz, pop, rock, whatever. I am forever looking for something new.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • i'd rather listen to Godsmack than Coldplay.

atleast they're rockin'.
  • i'd rather listen to Godsmack than Coldplay.

atleast they're rockin'.

Different stroke for different folks.

I am the other way around.
    Cock Fight.
  • McCready00 wrote:

my 2 cents..

ok good I thought I was the only one who realized how insanely elitist some Pearl Jam fans are...it really is rediculous.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ok good I thought I was the only one who realized how insanely elitist some Pearl Jam fans are...it really is rediculous.

nah, you hang around here long enough and you come to realize most of them are self-righteous twats.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    You know what I can't stand? Is when people complain about a band allowing their song to be played in a commercial. Who the fuck cares. Really.

I don't judge a band on how 'commercial' they are. If I like the music... it's all that matters.

Couldn't agree more.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Here's how I look at it. Think about your favorite foods. Are they not commercial?

Will you stop eating a type of food because you feel the maker has "sold out"?

Most people would say no.

So just think about it that way.

Fuck all of the baggage behind it and just listen to whatever it is that you enjoy hbecause is that not what music is made for?
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    McCready00 wrote:

my 2 cents..

Stupid argument. We can all go back and forth on what we think is good and what we think blows monkey tail but at the end of the day, look at your record collection... If you have a record that has sold over 1 million records chances are it's commercial.

If a band tells you they don't care about selling records, stand up point at them and scream at the top of your lungs, "LIAR!"

Show me a musician that doesn't want to connect with people through the music that they make and I'll show you a LIAR!
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • BUENA wrote:
    Stupid argument. We can all go back and forth on what we think is good and what we think blows monkey tail but at the end of the day, look at your record collection... If you have a record that has sold over 1 million records chances are it's commercial.

If a band tells you they don't care about selling records, stand up point at them and scream at the top of your lungs, "LIAR!"

Show me a musician that doesn't want to connect with people through the music that they make and I'll show you a LIAR!

I do agree with yo man.. but what if you want to do money and you also want to connect with the people who are your fans ??? My point is not about getting rich with the albums you sale.. but making good music enough to connect with some people.. It's why i was using the Simple Plan exemple. I know you probably don't like them or whatever, I simply do not care at all. But actually they connect with thousands of young people. I would prefer by far to see my daughter listening to a song like Crazy if this last song makes her happy ( I mean, the lyrics are not too bad for someone of this age who think about all the problems the lyrics are about ) ... Than seeing her listening to great musicians doing negative songs.. The talent here is not about doing great guitar riffs or if the vocal is good enought to reach the note he has to, but to be able to make some people happy around you..

If you don't like a band, just don't listen to it..

Did you know that Pink Floyd were only doing music to become rich and famous. They also knew they were doing music for junkies.. Of course, you will add, they were great musicians.... but were they really connecting with the people in the place???
  • also, by the way, can you explain me why the Ramones are sooo popular??

Their great talent ??? yea yea...

Please, don't write that famous line "the Ramones created the template of the rock 'n' roll revolution..." or whatever else..
    It doesn't make them "good"....

"Now I wanna sniff some glue
    Now I wanna have somethin' to do
    All the kids wanna sniff some glue
    All the kids want somethin' to do"

hmmmm ok yea I got it now !!! |:
  • McCready00 wrote:
    also, by the way, can you explain me why the Ramones are sooo popular??

Their great talent ??? yea yea...

Please, don't write that famous line "the Ramones created the template of the rock 'n' roll revolution..." or whatever else..
    It doesn't make them "good"....

"Now I wanna sniff some glue
    Now I wanna have somethin' to do
    All the kids wanna sniff some glue
    All the kids want somethin' to do"

hmmmm ok yea I got it now !!! |:

Meh, they're fun and their songs are often humorous, same reason a lot of things are popular....novelty.

As far as their talent goes....Johnny Ramone is actually a half way decent guitar player.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I don't care if a band has "sold out" or not. I don't care if Metallica is using turn tables in their songs or doing fewer guitar solos. I don't care if Chris Cornell is doing a James Bond theme. I don't care if Pearl Jam finally (god forbid!) release a music video and do some interviews. The fact remains that I still thoroughly enjoy their music, large audience or none.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Metallica hasn't made a good album since ... And Justice For All.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední