A big question for a big group!! (this thread is sponsored by Alfonso Gagliano)

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited July 2007 in Other Music
The Beatles.

I was listening to them some hours ago and that idea came into my mind. It was that song, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. So almost everybody here knows the trick with the name of that song. The others, google it, it'll take 1 minute! Great riffs, weird lyrics à la pre-Pink Floyd (mostly by Syd (R.I.P. dude!)) and, of course, a kind of:

"-We are fucking rich and we play weird music for them...they like it man
-serious, sweet life you got
-Let's smoke a joint!"

... style for their time.

Knowing the story of Pink Floyd (thanks Nick for that book!) better than before, I've read Nick's bible. The Pink Floyd are very very very good musicians. I mean, they don't have the greatest bassist and guitarist in the world but we can say they are beasts in music. (wasn't Careful with that Axe Eugene a wierd song! Do you think Eugene died? :P ) And yeah, they created that big Pink Floyd Inc company and made a shit load of money (yeah, like said in that song :P..) I am not against that or whatever, that is not the point anyways.

I think the Beatles, even if I don't really know them. I've been listening to Abbey Road for a month or two.. really great album by the way. I bought "number 1" years ago. And I know some other great songs through the albums.

6 or 7 years ago, I had read in one of the thousands Mccartney's biographies, how they created Apple and also made big money too.

But I also want to say that I took Pink Floyd only because I know them more than any other groups ( excepted for that band from Seattle.. The Pearl what again? :P )

My question now, how big was the machine BEHIND them. Did the Beatles become too much big for what they were? I'm, of course, not questioning if they were good or not, so don't start any stupid fights over here !

thanks
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    touring became a drag fast for the beatles. they couldn't hear themselves play. they got tired of fighting the big guns, starting growing apart to their own separate ways in the late sixties. i keep telling everyone, watch the beatles dvd anthology set to really understand.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    no comment at all?
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Whatever internal probems the Beatles were having all the psychadelic drugs they were taking probaly didn't make things any easier. As far as talent and musical vision there is no way John Lennon could have evolved if he had remained with the other three.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.