The Who: you'd better...

lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
edited December 2006 in Other Music
check out their latest tour!

OMG!
Fan review:

I never had the opportunity to attend a Who concert until the Boston 12/2/06 show. I must admit The Who broke ever pre-conceived notion I had about how two rock legends would come to deliver in concert.

Roger, Pete and company went right for the audience's jugular from the start with searing versions of "Can't Explain" "The Seeker" and a breathless "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere".

It seemed it was 1976 all over again with Daltrey *(looking very fit in a black t-shirt and jeans) twirling and spinning his microphone cord up , down and sideways like a wild west rodeo. Townsend's sixty plus years were virtually absent amid his swooping windmills and two-footed aerial stomps.

With re-worked versions of "Who are You" and "Eminence Front" the band stripped any aspect of pop sound out of these songs kept the raw power-cord theme of the Townsend's searing guitar the focus.

The rare gem of "Cry If You Want" from "Its Hard" is an obvious response to nay-sayers who accuse the band of playing only a "hit parade" of songs. It's performance was particularly mesmerizing with Townsend's chiming guitar thrusts and the dual vocal layering with Daltrey.

It was obvious to everyone in attendance that the influx of new songs has breathed renewed life and enthusiasm into these rock veterans.

Songs like "Fragments, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door, and Mike Post Theme" seemed to invigorate Daltrey and Townsend's passion for the performance. There was noting but grins and wide smiles from the two, interacting with diehard fans and each other alike.

The crowd was treated to another rare departure from the standard setlist with the inclusion of "Black Widow's Eyes" which Daltrey dubbed his "favorite" new song. He underscored his appreciation for Townsend's song writing talents with his unsolicited comment from the stage that it was "an honor to be in service of a musical genius". This genuinely caught Townsend by surprise but it would not be the last emotional moment of the night.

The backing band, and particularly Zak Starkey formed a cohesive rhythm section, with Zak a virtual dead-on for Moon's disjointed and thunderous drum style . This proved a crucial support for many of the standards such as BABA and WGFA but seemed to gel even more with the "Tommy" encore numbers.

Townsends dramatic opening guitar chords of "Pinball wizard' amid white strobe lights initiated on onslaught of 60's type jamming with "Amazing Journey" and "Sparks" in particular.

In a very unscripted moment, Townsend reached out to embrace Daltrey in a momentary hug at the end of the show which seemed to block out the entire crowd at the Boston Garden, if only for a moment.

As these two rock and roll survivors strolled off the stage, they gracefully acknowledged the onslaught of cheers from the grateful Boston crowd. It was if the new material allowed Daltrey and Townsend to be at last comfortable with their own place in rock's rich history, for the first time in a long journey, they were not playing for yesterday's glory..
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    doors open in just over four hours. i can't believe that i'm seeing the fucking WHO tonight. if it's even half as good as i've heard who shows are, i'll be able to die a happy man. i'm listening to endless wire one last time right now before the show. cannot wait.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'll agree with that. The new songs sounded better live than on record too.

Such a great show.

Seeing just Daltrey and Townsend end it on Tea and Theatre was pretty cool too.

But honestly, for me the scream from Won't get Fooled Again was worth the price of admission. That, and seeing the raw power that is Townsends guitar playing.

Entwistles shoes can't really be filled. Zac Starkey does a fantastic job, but they are really lacking the punch that Entwistle provided. Yes Pino did an admirable job, he's just not the force that Entwistle was.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • WonderMikeWonderMike Salem, Mass. Posts: 22
    I just saw them in Boston myself, and I have a review up on the site I run: http://www.staticandfeedback.com/Music/0212whob.html.

And, yeah, they always impress. The energy and power those two still have is really incredible. "Tea & Theatre" left me shaking.
    My name's actually Nick. Some PJ writing.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I saw the who in Dallas on November 17 2006 and this is hands down the BEST live show, I have ever fucking seen! Pearl jam will always be my favorite band, but their idols the who gets my honor for top spot in concerts. The setlist is just spectacular. I was almost in tears during Behind Blue eyes- it was that beautiful and moving. The Dallas crowd was an amazing bunch! They were on their feet the whole time for all 25 songs and sang along with all the classics and new songs as well. Zach Starkey is a phenominal drummer (and he had some BIG shoes to fill) but he is truly amazing, fun to watch and was just rockin the whole time.
    Pete was having a fucking blast. His guitar playing and signature windmill stage moves blew me away- I mean he was just all over the place and showing us even in his 60s what the world of ROCK is all about.
    Roger's voice was absolutley Amazing and he was dead on all night long. He is truly one of the most influential vocalist around and I am so glad, that I got to see the who (even with a few new touring members) in action. Yes, it was the most expensive concert ticket I have ever bought, but it was worth every penny. My friends that with with me, are a bit older than me, and have had the privilage of seeing the who several times. It was an honor to be hanging out with them and witnessing this greatness. I encourage anyone thing of going to see the who to do so, it is one of the best tours going right now. If you are seeing the who, well you will see what I mean. To make matters even better- my friend (one of the die hard who fans that took me to the show with him) got me one of the limited edition Dallas promo dallas whp prints for the tour, it was so awesome. I can't wait to get this cd/ dvd in the mail. The show is great- and 99% of the reviews on this tour have backed this up- long live rock.
    The opening band the Pretenders were pretty good. I didn't know a whole lot about their material, but they palyed the songs I recognized including: Brass in pocket, I'll stand by you, the Adultress, Back on the chain gang, and 2000 miles, and my city was burning. They may have played day after day but can't remember (and I not been able to find the setlist), but the riff sounded familiar while I was listening to their pirate radio album.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    just saw the show tonight and i'm speechless. i'm not even gonna attempt to phrase how great i feel about that concert yet. amazing.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    WonderMike wrote:
    I just saw them in Boston myself, and I have a review up on the site I run: http://www.staticandfeedback.com/Music/0212whob.html.

And, yeah, they always impress. The energy and power those two still have is really incredible. "Tea & Theatre" left me shaking.

great review Nick...

I guess it just wasn't me ..!

can't wait for the boot package either!

Long Live Rock!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • WonderMikeWonderMike Salem, Mass. Posts: 22
    I can't wait either. I have to hear them do "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Tea & Theatre" again, and soon.

There's an outside shot I might be able to catch them again in Phoenix in February. I can't even begin to think of how cool that'd be.
    My name's actually Nick. Some PJ writing.
    Just got the 2 cd / 1 DVD set from my Boston 12/2/06 show.

Ever go to a concert and wonder later if it was really that amazing?

Holy GOD! what a performance the Who put on in Boston!

Absloutley electrcifying Hard core rock..

I defy any modern band to out rock the Who's performance of
    "Anyway,Anyhow, Anywhere"
    and
    "My Generation / Cry if you want"

Balls to the wall rock & roll!..

BTW.. an earlier poster complained about the limited shots of the rest of the band in their DVD..
    The boston show DVD includes tons of footage of the rest of the band besides Pete and Roger..

amazing!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    My friend and I were supposed to go get our copies of the Dallas show from another friend today but do to the roads be iced over, it's unsafe to go up there to get the cd/dvds... fuck cold weather and ice. :(
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    one more thing...

neither the tracklist for the CD or the DVD recognize that "Cry If you want" is tagged onto the end of "My generation" but sure enough its there (as I rememberred from the concert)...

Incredible combination of two great tunes...

towards the end OF "CRY", Daltrey's singing all funky:

"Don't you get embarrassed when you think about the way you were
    Yesterday the day before when you were young with much to learn
    Aren't you glad it's your last term
    No more acting lowly worm
    You can make the suckers squirm
    When you tell them how much you earn"

then Townsend steps up to the microphone:

"That's what they told us..
    Let your tears flow...
    They said you can cry if you want to...
    Cry if you want.............................
    FUCK 'EM!"

(INSERT SCREAMING GUITAR SOLO HERE)

(Doesn't get any better IMO)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    uninnocent wrote:
    just saw the show tonight and i'm speechless. i'm not even gonna attempt to phrase how great i feel about that concert yet. amazing.

word!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    locked wrote:
    one more thing...

neither the tracklist for the CD or the DVD recognize that "Cry If you want" is tagged onto the end of "My generation" but sure enough its there (as I rememberred from the concert)...

Incredible combination of two great tunes...

towards the end OF "CRY", Daltrey's singing all funky:

"Don't you get embarrassed when you think about the way you were
    Yesterday the day before when you were young with much to learn
    Aren't you glad it's your last term
    No more acting lowly worm
    You can make the suckers squirm
    When you tell them how much you earn"

then Townsend steps up to the microphone:

"That's what they told us..
    Let your tears flow...
    They said you can cry if you want to...
    Cry if you want.............................
    FUCK 'EM!"

(INSERT SCREAMING GUITAR SOLO HERE)

(Doesn't get any better IMO)

no it doesn't! they are awesome. i saw the who in december and hopefully will again in feb!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~