any Smithereens Fan here?

lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
edited January 2007 in Other Music
A GREAT BAND with tons of great Rockers:

Blood and Roses
Behind the wall of sleep
Only a Memory
The World we know (** Best song they ever did!)
Drown in My own Tears
A Girl Like you
Blues before and After
Everything I have is Blue

they seem to have drifted off the radar screen.

I hung out with Pat Dinizio one night in the early 90's and he told me what a huge Black Sabbath / Jethro Tull fan he was ..

He also told me that "A Girl like you" was suppose to be the title song for the "Say Anything" movie soundtrack... (Listen to the lyrics, it fits nicely with the plot of the movie...and the Chorus "I'll say anything.. almost anything except goodbye"..)

Well apprarently Cameron Crowe thought the song gave away too much of the story and asked Pat to re-write it at the last minute...
Pat thought about it and then told him "No way"...

So Cameron stuck in Peter Gabriels's "In your Eyes"...instead!

Bastard!
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    bueller?

Bueller?...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • no idea what happened to em, never bought any of their albums...but liked quite a few of their tunes. that said, don't EVER diss mr. peter gabriel my friend...even in your eyes. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I loved "Especially For You" when it first came out. The Smithereens where really good in the late eighties.
    bump!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    Cool, Cool
    I rather have hung out with Pat than "Little Feat", so you got me beat!!
    "Say Anything"...
    I remember seeing that in the theater...loved it:)
    Both songs do fit into the movie, but must admit "In Your Eyes" does make the scene:o
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Wow... I love Peter Gabriel but "A girl like you" would've been a way better choice. Interesting story! I saw the Smithereens like 5 years ago at a festival in Pensacola, FL. They disappointed me a lot as they didn't play "A Girl Like You". But they actually did an ok show, just wanted to hear that song really badly.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• ecd1973ecd1973 Posts: 30
    The band I was in at the time opened for Pat (solo) at a small club in Jersey about 3 years ago. He was a very cool guy, very down to earth. He even hung out and listened to our set (which he didn't have to do, I thought that was cool of him). He hung out after our set and gave us some good feedback too.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Love the Smithereens-

saw them ( and met them ) at this 9-11 benefit in Red bank NJs Count Basie Theatre.

Only A Memory
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    they just played at BB Kings in NY the other night - same night that the PJ cover band TEN was there. At least I think it was them.....yeah they were good!
    ecd1973 wrote:
    The band I was in at the time opened for Pat (solo) at a small club in Jersey about 3 years ago. He was a very cool guy, very down to earth. He even hung out and listened to our set (which he didn't have to do, I thought that was cool of him). He hung out after our set and gave us some good feedback too.

sounds like something he'd do...
    one of the most approachable / genuine guys you will ever meet IMO..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life