Finally bought AIC Unplugged!

lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I don't know where my mind goes sometimes but I finally bought the DVD & the CD...

Great Tracklist..

Tremoundous showcase of an amazingly talented band.

Certainly peers with Pearl Jam for sure..

I don't know why Nirvana unplugged gets so much press?

AIC's songs are so much more complex,

and Layne's performance in this concert is much more haunting, almost like he knew his days were numbered...

and yes, very sad to watch how frail and stoned out he is..

But his vocals are so unique and iconic ....

RIP Layne.
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    yeah, it's a pretty good show considering how Layne was completely blitzed on heroin and who knows what else. I really thought their songs sounded great accoustic.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    listening to the CD is so much different than watching the DVD. on CD, it's a GREAT performance. on DVD, you can literally see how out of it that Layne was at the time. it looked at times like he could barely hold himself up.

I thought the tracklisting was good, but should have included "Don't Follow" and at least 1 or 2 songs from Facelift....."Man in the Box" or "Sunshine" would be great acoustic songs.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    MLC2006 wrote:
    listening to the CD is so much different than watching the DVD. on CD, it's a GREAT performance. on DVD, you can literally see how out of it that Layne was at the time. it looked at times like he could barely hold himself up..

He keeps his eyes closed through most of his vocals... and the few times he opens them, his eyes are glassy and his eyelids swollen...

just sad..

but his vocals are spot-on for the most part..

He and Jerry harminized so well...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • re-releasing this in both cd and dvd in mid September, with bonus tracks!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    MLC2006 wrote:
    listening to the CD is so much different than watching the DVD. on CD, it's a GREAT performance. on DVD, you can literally see how out of it that Layne was at the time. it looked at times like he could barely hold himself up.

I thought the tracklisting was good, but should have included "Don't Follow" and at least 1 or 2 songs from Facelift....."Man in the Box" or "Sunshine" would be great acoustic songs.
    Sunshine would have been the best thing ever unplugged.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    This is one of my all-time favorites. Such an amazing show! =)
    My lips are shaking.......
  • I've had no real urge to watch that since Layne died. I just can't do it, I've tried, but watching him there is too much knowing he died alone and was left forgotten.

I can listen to unplugged, but down in a hole gets skipped.
  • Good purchase, this has always been one of my favorite dvds. I agree with you when you say you don't know how Nirvana's got a lot more attention than this, I'll never understand it.
  • CornishManCornishMan Posts: 447
    Love that album... can't believe it's taken you so long to buy it ;)
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022, Manchester 2024.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    brilliant DVD

I love how they all walk on 1 by 1 on Nutshell and during Slude Factory where Layne just shouts out FUCK.
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    I think this unplugged happened at least 2 years too late...no one could claim that AIC was at their peak when this was recorded.

I find it difficult to listen too, they just werent' the same band anymore. The Nutshell intro was kick ass though!
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Taft wrote:
    I think this unplugged happened at least 2 years too late...no one could claim that AIC was at their peak when this was recorded.

I find it difficult to listen too, they just werent' the same band anymore. The Nutshell intro was kick ass though!

Layne was an addict from before Dirt and during Jar of Flies and after the final full studio album. the period that the final album (the 3 legged dog album) was recorded was really about the only stint that Layne was clean. so there really was no "peak" with them that he wasn't high, except before Dirt and the brief period that the final album was made.
    I BrisK I wrote:
    brilliant DVD

I love how they all walk on 1 by 1 on Nutshell and during Slude Factory where Layne just shouts out FUCK.

yes!!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    i love how unedited it is...and they have converstations etc
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Good purchase, this has always been one of my favorite dvds. I agree with you when you say you don't know how Nirvana's got a lot more attention than this, I'll never understand it.

Nirvanas got so much attention from MTV media and fans and people in general because in MTV'S eyes they were always the media darlings of all the grunge bands. I liked Nirvana unplugged, but they did WAY too many covers for an unplugged show. I realize they may have hated playing "smells like teen spirit all the time", but some more tracks from "bleach" and "Incesticide" and would have been nice to replace about 4 of the cover songs even though they were done well.
    AIC and pearl jam had the best unplugged shows out of the seattle groups. Pearl jam's was just too short and though it was phenominal should have been longer than 8 songs.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    MLC2006 wrote:
    Layne was an addict from before Dirt and during Jar of Flies and after the final full studio album. the period that the final album (the 3 legged dog album) was recorded was really about the only stint that Layne was clean. so there really was no "peak" with them that he wasn't high, except before Dirt and the brief period that the final album was made.

By peak I don't mean sober.

If you timeline the band, it had been 2 and a half years since they had last played a full length concert before Unplugged!

Unplugged was more a "reunion" than anything, AIC had ceased to be a true band long before.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    MLC2006 wrote:

i read an interview w/ Cantrell back in the day and he said they were gonna try "We Die Young" for the unplugged but decided not to do it or rehersed it and it just didn't work-can't remember which.
  • locked wrote:
    I don't know where my mind goes sometimes but I finally bought the DVD & the CD...

Great Tracklist..

Tremoundous showcase of an amazingly talented band.

Certainly peers with Pearl Jam for sure..

I don't know why Nirvana unplugged gets so much press?

AIC's songs are so much more complex,

and Layne's performance in this concert is much more haunting, almost like he knew his days were numbered...

and yes, very sad to watch how frail and stoned out he is..

But his vocals are so unique and iconic ....

RIP Layne.

Better later than never! enjoy
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
    OK..
    i AM LITERALLY ADDICTED TO THIS PERFORMANCE..
    I CAN'T STOP PLAYING IT...

THIS BAND WAS AN AMAZING COLLABORATION OF ARTISTS...

I LOVE LAYNE'S ADLIB JOKE AFTER HIS SCREW UP ON SLUDGE.. "WHAT'S MY MOTIVATION HERE???"
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Greatest "Nutshell" ever. I get chills everytime.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    agreed..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
    i heard there is an uncut version of this DVD floating around that captures more of the in between song banter.. anybody seen it, know what it shows??

I read a post here in the pit sometime ago that that the crowd was chanting "wake up Layne" but I think that's just a made up story..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Yeah it sounds made up, but you never know.