The Experience Backing

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited May 2008 in Other Music
While Hendrix was no doubt a guitar God I have to say that I love Mitch Mitchells and Noel REading playing with him. They put out some great arrangements but seem to be totally overshadowed by Jimi's ability.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Mitch and Noel definitely deserve more credit than they get. Mitch Mitchell is one of my all time favorite drummers. His Elvin Jones influence was a perfect compliment for Hendrix's live improvisations. For me, Fire is more a drum song than a guitar song. The drums really drive that one. Noel was also great for melodic, jazzy basslines, but I actually prefer Billy Cox. He was just funkier. My favorite Hendrix lineup is the Mitch Mitchell/Billy Cox version of the Experience.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    The drumming on Fire is breathtaking alright
  • Noel's live sound could be a bit thin at times, even given the evidence of soundboard recordings. He used a plectrum, and lacked a certain pulse. He had a good, growling funk on tracks such as Burning of the Midnight Lamp, but from Axis: Bold as Love onwards, Jimi found the need to play a lot of the bass parts, himself. For example, the bass part of All Along The Watchtower, on Side Four of Electric Ladyland, was played by Hendrix. Jack Cassidy plays bass on the long blues Voodoo Chile, on Side One.

Sometime in about April 1969, while touring with the Experience, Jimi formed an embryonic version of the Band of Gypsies, with Buddy Miles and Billy Rich (not Billy Cox) on bass. Cox was recruited a month or two later, subtly until Noel finally quit after the Denver Pop Festival gig on June 29th, 1969. Cox was perfect for the new, funky sound Jimi was developing. Cox and Mitchell played together with Jimi, Larry Lee, Juma Sultan and Jerry Valez in Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, then Jimi formed the Band of Gypsies with Cox and Miles.

My favourite version of the Experience is the Cox/Mitchell combo of 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCIcyTsT1bw&feature