So Called Classic Albums

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited August 2007 in Other Music
We often get these top 100 list of the greatest albums of all time but I am often wonder about some of the choices.

Mask Trout REplica -Captain Beefheart.
I bought this album having seen it on one the lists and I have to say that it is pretty rubbish avant grade stuff. No real actual songs structures on it.

The STooges - The Stooges.
Some songs are alright but I don't think there is much energy in the band. They were coming from this Doors LA scene but they didn't stand the test in comparsion to Morrison and co.
Songs are often Mundane and repedative and offer little.
Chantings don't amount to singing in my book

Nico Velvet undergound. okish album but I never thought that it was anything special and it is sometimes regarded as the greatest debut of all time is way off the mark. Maybe the light show were more spectular than the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Couldn't disagree more on all three.

Trout Mask Replica - the genius of this album is in it's dismissal of rigid song structures. The music sounds so free and really challenges the listener. It took me a while to get into Beefheart's vocals, but I loved the music from first listen.

The Stooges - lacks energy? Really?? That's the last thing I would have expected anyone to say about this album. To me, it's full of raw, primal, sexual, violent energy. The album just sounds dangerous. Sure, the song structures are simple, but the repetitive riffs serve the vibe of the music well in my opinion.

Velvet Underground and Nico - just a great chronicle of the darker side of the late 60's. No peace and love here. I wouldn't say it's the greatest debut of all time (for me, that would be Are You Experienced or Led Zeppelin I), but I would say it's a great album.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    fada wrote:

Nico Velvet undergound. okish album but I never thought that it was anything special and it is sometimes regarded as the greatest debut of all time is way off the mark. Maybe the light show were more spectular than the music

i'm not familiar enough with the Captain Beefheart and the Stooges, but i am very familiar with the velvet underground & nico, and i think it might as well be the greatest debut album of all time. different horses for different courses i believe ;)
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    glasshouse wrote:
    different horses for different courses i believe ;)
    This is what you could boil this whole debate about "classic albums" down to....not everybody likes everything. I call it "classic", you call it "whatever" or you call it "classic", and I say "ho-hum." The nature of us beasties.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Yeah, but it can still be fun to discuss WHY you like or dislike an album.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I was really disappointed when I heard the stooges debut wasn't impressed with "Iggy Stooge"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i really like The Velvet Underground and Nico. "Venus in Furs" is amazing.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Yeah, but it can still be fun to discuss WHY you like or dislike an album.
    True......very true.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    glasshouse wrote:
    i'm not familiar enough with the Captain Beefheart and the Stooges, but i am very familiar with the velvet underground & nico, and i think it might as well be the greatest debut album of all time. different horses for different courses i believe ;)

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I don't know anything of Captain beefheart and I've only listened to the stooges a limited amount of times. However, The Velvet Underground and Nico is one of my favourite albums of all time. The album is superb from start to finish, and to think that this was their debut album is amazing. Heroin gives me shivers every time i hear it.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • fada wrote:
    Mask Trout REplica -Captain Beefheart.
    I bought this album having seen it on one the lists and I have to say that it is pretty rubbish avant grade stuff. No real actual songs structures on it.

Bullshit. Every song on that album is structured. You just can't hear it.
    JWBusher wrote:
    Bullshit. Every song on that album is structured. You just can't hear it.

hahaha :p

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    news flash.......all three of those records suck.
    brain of c wrote:
    news flash.......all three of those records suck.

nah

if you can look me straight in the eyes and tell me that

venus in furs
    run run run
    all tomorrow's parties
    heroin
    the black angel's death song

suck, i'll take you for your hearing aids - onthe spot

• The songs on Trout Mask Replica are minutely structured. They avoid the generic conventions of popular music, and never provide comfort food.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I can't understand the hype of Abbey Road. The only Beatles albums I have are that one, the White Album, and Sgt. Pepper... I love the other two, but Abbey Road just blows except for a couple songs.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    DOSW wrote:
    I can't understand the hype of Abbey Road. The only Beatles albums I have are that one, the White Album, and Sgt. Pepper... I love the other two, but Abbey Road just blows except for a couple songs.

Well I hardly think that Abbey Road blows but it's surely not as good as Pepper's, the White Album or Revolver. or the Mystery Tour for that matter. if anything it's cool because it's probably the most guitar driven Beatles album there is.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Couldn't disagree more on all three.

Trout Mask Replica - the genius of this album is in it's dismissal of rigid song structures. The music sounds so free and really challenges the listener. It took me a while to get into Beefheart's vocals, but I loved the music from first listen.

The Stooges - lacks energy? Really?? That's the last thing I would have expected anyone to say about this album. To me, it's full of raw, primal, sexual, violent energy. The album just sounds dangerous. Sure, the song structures are simple, but the repetitive riffs serve the vibe of the music well in my opinion.

Velvet Underground and Nico - just a great chronicle of the darker side of the late 60's. No peace and love here. I wouldn't say it's the greatest debut of all time (for me, that would be Are You Experienced or Led Zeppelin I), but I would say it's a great album.

I agree. The Stooges - no energy? Give me a break!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    fada wrote:
    I was really disappointed when I heard the stooges debut wasn't impressed with "Iggy Stooge"

Check out the second Stooges album - Fun House. It'll blow you into the ether.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Check out the second Stooges album - Fun House. It'll blow you into the ether.

+1

Agreed. The song 'Dirt' by itself justifies the Stooges.
    DOSW wrote:

i've got Abbey Road, and it doesn't inspire repeated listens. i don't think it's bad, but surely not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination

I dig the first Stooges album, but I agree Fun House is better. I love Raw Power, too.

Abbey Road has some incredible songs on it (Something, The End), and some really fun ones (She Came In Through The Bathroom Window), but it is not the Beatles best album. I'd probably have to give that to Revolver. I also think Let It Be is massively under-rated. I see alot of critics describing it as a let down, but I love just about every song on it.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Abbey Road rocks.
    Here Come The Sun-George's Best Song

I Want You(She's So Heavy), they invented the trippy groove with that, and who doesn't love the trippy groove?

Add in one of the coolest basslines ever(Come Together), a masterpiece of a ballad(Something), a cool Ringo tune(Octopus's Garden), and the 3 guitar onslaught, and possessor of maybe the greatest line ever written(The End) and you can't deny that Abbey Road is one of the best albums ever.