Eric Clapton

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I got tickets recently to see him next June or so.

I have Disreali Gears and Cream greatest hits and too solo Clapton greatest hits. I also have John Mayall and the bluesbreakers album he played on.

What do people think of his back catologue? I thought that while Cream had some great songs they had a bit of filler on each of the albums they recorded.

Really like the sound he pioneered with John Mayall?

Did record with Bonnie and Delaney and is it worth getting. What is the album "layla" like and is it worth getting?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Go out and buy Derek and the Dominoes' Layla and other Love Songs immediately. In my opinion, it's the best thing Clapton has ever played on. It also features Duane Allman on guitar. It's just awesome. Clapton has never reached the that level of songwriting combined with great playing since.

As for the sound, it's a little mor earthy than Cream, but it still rocks, and is very bluesy.
  • My favourite Clapton album is "From the Cradle"

fantastic album.

Hoping to go see him in dublin this summer, i hear he puts on a great show..
    How to be happy and true is the quest we're taking on together.

Take it on, on, on, on, on.
    Take it on, on, on, on, on.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Don't forget the Blind Faith album....Clapton, Baker and Stevie Winwood!!! Don't bother with the regular edition, spring for the deluxe edition....the electric version of "Can't Find My Way Home" is to die for....seriously.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Go out and buy Derek and the Dominoes' Layla and other Love Songs immediately. In my opinion, it's the best thing Clapton has ever played on. It also features Duane Allman on guitar. It's just awesome. Clapton has never reached the that level of songwriting combined with great playing since.

As for the sound, it's a little mor earthy than Cream, but it still rocks, and is very bluesy.

I was thinking of getting Layla soon
  • fada wrote:
    I got tickets recently to see him next June or so.

I have Disreali Gears and Cream greatest hits and too solo Clapton greatest hits. I also have John Mayall and the bluesbreakers album he played on.

What do people think of his back catologue? I thought that while Cream had some great songs they had a bit of filler on each of the albums they recorded.

Really like the sound he pioneered with John Mayall?

Did record with Bonnie and Delaney and is it worth getting. What is the album "layla" like and is it worth getting?

Clapton is my favorite classic rock artist by far. First, Cream did have some crap mixed in with their genius in my opinion, but still one hell of a band overall.
    Second, Layla is just about my favorite album of all time...definitely way up there.
    Third, his time with John Mayall came at a time when he was just coming into his own as a guitarist and Mayall really is the one who gave him clout. I have that album and appreciate it more for what it set in motion than for the music.
    Fourth, I love the Bonnie and Delaney album....definitely worth a listen
    Fifth, his solo records, especially in the '70s are freakin' fantastic, but I've never warmed too much to the '80s stuff for its production, but there are some absolutley fantastic songs from that period.
    Sixth, you definitely have to go get the Blind Faith disc, a one and done band also featuring Steve Winwood. From that album came Presense of the lord and Can't Find My Home, two of my favorite songs.
    Also, check out his work with the Yardbirds and the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions cd, which features clapton and an all-star band backing the most bad ass blues dude I've ever heard.
    One more...if you have never listened to his unplugged cd you can't be a clapton fan without having it. That's the one that turned this head banging lad into a full-fledged Clapton freak.

Oh, and if you really want to hear some good shit, pick up the Crossroads II boxset, all live stuff from the '70s with a few never before released tracks on there.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I have the Blind Faith album forgot about it.
    Does he sing a few songs on the Bonnie and Delaney album and what is it called?

He seemed to loose interest alot in short time in the projects he was involved in.
    Was the 70's his drug fuelled faze. I never really warmed to " I shot the sheriff" and "Cocaine".
  • i saw him last year and it was very derek and the dominoes heavy. so you must get that. you are in for a great show, my god it was wicked to see him. robert cray came out at the end and did crossroads with him. clapton can absolutely wail... honestly only like two cream songs tho.

wonderful tonight and i shot the sheriff were my highlights. my dream song would be to see Willie and the Hand Jive live.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    fada wrote:
    I have the Blind Faith album forgot about it.
    Does he sing a few songs on the Bonnie and Delaney album and what is it called?

He seemed to loose interest alot in short time in the projects he was involved in.
    Was the 70's his drug fuelled faze. I never really warmed to " I shot the sheriff" and "Cocaine".
    I believe that he sings the song "Comin' Home" on the D&B album.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    I believe that he sings the song "Comin' Home" on the D&B album.

I think you are right about that and that is the only one...been a while since I listened though.

"He seemed to loose interest alot in short time in the projects he was involved in.
    Was the 70's his drug fuelled faze. I never really warmed to " I shot the sheriff" and "Cocaine"."

Big time drugger in the 70s, but a lot went into the demise of Derek and the Dominoes. WIth Cream and Blind Faith it was basically the differences in personalities and not being able to move forward musically as he would have liked, according to his new autobiography...a very good read by the way
    He quit the Yardbirds because they recorded "for your love" which was pure pop cheese....he wanted nothing but the blues at that point.
    As far the 70s material, even if you don't like Cocaine and I shot the sheriff there is a lot of laid-back great stuff from that period. Get Slowhand for sure
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    I think you are right about that and that is the only one...been a while since I listened though.
    I remember it because it's included on the "Crossroads" box set....and The Vault on Sirius played it a couple of nights ago.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Go out and buy Derek and the Dominoes' Layla and other Love Songs immediately. In my opinion, it's the best thing Clapton has ever played on. It also features Duane Allman on guitar. It's just awesome. Clapton has never reached the that level of songwriting combined with great playing since.

Glad you brought up that Layla and other love songs album. It's really good and actually when I saw Clapton last year, he played alot of Derek and the Dominos material that is on that album. Clapton is an amazing live act. I enjoyed it so much. Watching Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks play guitar with him just made the entire night. Excellent guitar playing from everyone. Clapton did play an accoustic segment of about 4 or 5 songs. Judging from crowd reactions "Little wing" (Hendrix cover) "Wonderful tonight" "Cocaine" (JJ Cale), and "Crossroads" with Robert Cray was amazing. Everyone was just in awe at all of those.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12