Rod Stewart

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I'll have to admit that I never really liked his material all that much. This could be due to the fact that when I saw and heard " do you think I'm sexy" it was a total turn off. I liked " sailing" but knew very little else of his material.
Over the last few years I have heard bits " A nod is a good a wink" ( FACES album) and " Come on over" ( song with PP Arnold). I just heard some of his material with the Jeff Beck group. What a voice! and what would people recommend as of that album purchase and other?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,272
    mandolin's in the wind ...try this song to me it's hi's best effort ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Maggie May from his solo work and much of the stuff he did with the Faces are friggin' great. If you haven't listened to The Faces you definintely should should check it out. He actually did a lot of good solo stuff in the 70s, pre-"Do ya think I'm sexy" of course!

One of my favorite lines in a song came from the Faces:
    "I was glad to come and I was so sad to go
    But while I was had me a real good time."

I want that on my tombstone!!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    maggie may is a classic song, but i dont care for any of his other solo stuff. his work with the faces is incredible though. i have their 2 disc best of and every song is a knockout. fav lyrics:

"so in the morning, please don't say you love me
    'cause you know I'll only kick you out the door"

he was hardcore before snoop dogg was even born :)
  • "so in the morning, please don't say you love me
    'cause you know I'll only kick you out the door"

)

Definitely one of my favorite lines ever.Stay with me, that whole song is just bad ass
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    some of my favorite Rod Stewart songs:

Maggie Mae
    Reason to believe
    cut across shorty
    stay with me (the unplugged version was phenomenal)
    You're in my heart (The final Acclaim)
    Hot Legs

I really liked his cover of "Day after day" by Badfinger but the rest of that covers album is horrible.

If your going to get an album, get the album called "GOLD" it's a greatest hits sort of thing, but does a pretty good job spanning Rod's career musically for people wanting to get familiar with his music.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    red mos wrote:
    some of my favorite Rod Stewart songs:

Maggie Mae
    Reason to believe
    cut across shorty
    stay with me (the unplugged version was phenomenal)
    You're in my heart (The final Acclaim)
    Hot Legs

I really liked his cover of "Day after day" by Badfinger but the rest of that covers album is horrible.

If your going to get an album, get the album called "GOLD" it's a greatest hits sort of thing, but does a pretty good job spanning Rod's career musically for people wanting to get familiar with his music.
    Some great songs in that list.....the man has a great voice.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I can't get enough of the song "Gasoline Alley."
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    tybird wrote:
    Some great songs in that list.....the man has a great voice.

Oh how could I have forgotten to add "you wear it well and "every picture tells a story" two other great classics that I love to listen to on repeat.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • The Faces era stuff is overrated, chummy, chuggalong shite. And after that it just gets worse.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    The Faces era stuff is overrated, chummy, chuggalong shite. And after that it just gets worse.

you say that like it's a bad thing. i bet you don't like oasis either ;)