The stones song is very similar to.....

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited December 2006 in Other Music
anyone else thing that the stones borrowed heavily for "the singer not the song" from "not a second time" from the beatles.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think it was John, who said, something like, Name me a Stones record in those days that we didn't do six months earlier.

Let's compare, even with albums:

http://paulisdead.adastra23.com/images/sgt_pepper_cover.jpg

http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/images/SatMaj_Promo.jpg

(I have an original copy of both ... The Stones cover was holographic, so different from pepper in one way ... but, like the music, the concept was really quite derivative.)
  • http://adale.org/GIFs/wereonlyinit.gif

Note that the Mothers, Captain Beefheart, and Jimi are real, in this spoof shot!
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I think it was John, who said, something like, Name me a Stones record in those days that we didn't do six months earlier.

Let's compare, even with albums:

http://paulisdead.adastra23.com/images/sgt_pepper_cover.jpg

http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/images/SatMaj_Promo.jpg

(I have an original copy of both ... The Stones cover was holographic, so different from pepper in one way ... but, like the music, the concept was really quite derivative.)

I have both and peppers is streets again music wise.
  • Easily! I think it's often said of "Their Satanic Majesties Request" that it was an album "done under the influence of bail", after Mick and Keef got busted for drugs.

I think "Beggars Banquet" was the first album, where The Rolling Stones finally broke out from The Beatles, and did their own thing. And I wonder why. Something to do with Brian Jones playing less of a role in the band, by that time? Keef learning slide? The Stones moving more towards a Hendrixian/Cream-type rock feel?
  • Easily! I think it's often said of "Their Satanic Majesties Request" that it was an album "done under the influence of bail", after Mick and Keef got busted for drugs.

I think "Beggars Banquet" was the first album, where The Rolling Stones finally broke out from The Beatles, and did their own thing. And I wonder why. Something to do with Brian Jones playing less of a role in the band, by that time? Keef learning slide? The Stones moving more towards a Hendrixian/Cream-type rock feel?

Haha, this question I can answer because I was coming of age and this was when I was REALLY getting into music.

1967 was when LSD, the Viet Nam war and the passion of the times all converged into Psychedelia. A lot of bands collaborated at that time and just jammed, as it was before SO may corporate lawyers emerged. There was such an amazing explosion of music that I think everybody was influenced by everybody. Those were great years to be buying albums!

I never thought of the Stones as imitating the Beatles. Actually I thought of them as the counter Beatles at the time. The Beatles were hoppy and happy and poppy, and the Stones hit the scene with a sneer. They were more the counter culture band before '67. There were so many bands at the time, like the Dave Clark Five, that were definite imitators of the Beatles
    I think the Stones came into their own in '67, too. They got their artistic freedom from record companies, and you're right, when Brian Jones was out of the picture, Keef took over. I think the best Stones music was when they were between Jones and Mick Taylor, because they had people sitting in and playing, like Gram Parsons and Ry Cooder, who taught Keith "The Tuning". That first lick on Street Fighting Man made a HUGE impact at the time.
    Mick Taylor was great live, though.

Actually when Sargeant Pepper came out, Paul McCartney said "It's our Freak Out" which was the first Zappa album(s) and one of the first albums I ever bought, so I think Zappa can be credited with one of the first "concept albums".

Freak Out was one of the first Psychedelic covers, as well as the first Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane albums.
    "We're only in it for the Money" was Zappa's blast at the Beatles for cashing in on the psychedelic movement which started with Frisco bands like Airplane and Moby Grape and a whole lot that I have on vinyl records that look like salad bowls by now! :D

I think there was friendly competition between the Beatles and Stones, too, If you look at the 3-d Satanic Majesty's cover the right way,,,,, you'll see all the Beatles in it, too, as they helped on the record.

haha,,, well, it WAS the 60's so I may be wrong! :D

And to get to the subject of the thread,,, they do sound similar, and actually I think the "not a second time" song sounds a lot like a Smokey Robinson song, that I can't remember the name, but I'll have to see if I can find it.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Amazing run of music!

And of course, one of the greatest live albums ever: Get Your Ya Ya's Out!

"I think I busted a button on me trousers, you don't want my trousers to fall down now, do ya." :D
    Be kind, man

1967 was when LSD, the Viet Nam war and the passion of the times all converged into Psychedelia. A lot of bands collaborated at that time and just jammed, as it was before SO may corporate lawyers emerged. There was such an amazing explosion of music that I think everybody was influenced by everybody. Those were great years to be buying albums!

I never thought of the Stones as imitating the Beatles. Actually I thought of them as the counter Beatles at the time. The Beatles were hoppy and happy and poppy, and the Stones hit the scene with a sneer. They were more the counter culture band before '67. There were so many bands at the time, like the Dave Clark Five, that were definite imitators of the Beatles
    I think the Stones came into their own in '67, too. They got their artistic freedom from record companies, and you're right, when Brian Jones was out of the picture, Keef took over. I think the best Stones music was when they were between Jones and Mick Taylor, because they had people sitting in and playing, like Gram Parsons and Ry Cooder, who taught Keith "The Tuning". That first lick on Street Fighting Man made a HUGE impact at the time.
    Mick Taylor was great live, though.

Actually when Sargeant Pepper came out, Paul McCartney said "It's our Freak Out" which was the first Zappa album(s) and one of the first albums I ever bought, so I think Zappa can be credited with one of the first "concept albums".

Freak Out was one of the first Psychedelic covers, as well as the first Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane albums.
    "We're only in it for the Money" was Zappa's blast at the Beatles for cashing in on the psychedelic movement which started with Frisco bands like Airplane and Moby Grape and a whole lot that I have on vinyl records that look like salad bowls by now! :D

I think there was friendly competition between the Beatles and Stones, too, If you look at the 3-d Satanic Majesty's cover the right way,,,,, you'll see all the Beatles in it, too, as they helped on the record.

haha,,, well, it WAS the 60's so I may be wrong! :D

And to get to the subject of the thread,,, they do sound similar, and actually I think the "not a second time" song sounds a lot like a Smokey Robinson song, that I can't remember the name, but I'll have to see if I can find it.

Marvellous answer, Bob! Thanks!

Do you have that boot of the Surrey rehearsal sessions, from early '68? If not, I can send it to you. There are early tryouts of Jumping Jack Flash, and chord sequences that sound similar to what ended up on Performance ... Yes, in fact, as you know, I'm a Hendrix completist, and there is a Jimi/Jagger jam knocking around, but not from the November 1969 pre-Altamont days (when Jimi and Devon were on the scene with the band), but much earlier ... around January 1968, when Brian Jones and Jimi jammed at Olympic in London. This would make sense, timewise!!!
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I am after starting my stones collection this year. I had exile on main street but the main reason why I got them was because they went down to €12 from 25 . I love the song monkey man but I still don't think that they are close to the beatles in album quality.
  • fada wrote:
    I am after starting my stones collection this year. I had exile on main street but the main reason why I got them was because they went down to €12 from 25 . I love the song monkey man but I still don't think that they are close to the beatles in album quality.

I never thought of them as better or worse. Just different.

At the time, The Beatles had become a studio band. There were no live Beatles after 1966. They were making use of multitracking and newfound studio techniques, precisely adding tracks and orchestrating the music into finely crafted albums from Sgt Peppers on.

Meanwhile, the Stones were in their studio, spilling Jack Daniels all over the amps and ripping out rock and roll. :D
    They had moved to being an electrifying live band, and Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Exiles were all a reflection of that.

I love'm both! :)
    Be kind, man