Paul McCartney's Solo Output

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited May 2007 in Other Music
An often ridiculed subject in the media but I for one think that he has put out some fine solo work. I am basing these off the material (solo) I have heard of his.
McCartney is a good album alot of mixed stuff without outtakes of some unused beatles material.

Ram is a quality album and probable his finest solo work.

Band on the run is a good album also.

Flaming pie, I got this on its release and think that it is a fine piece of work

Run devil run was an ok album but worth the purchase along for the brillant "another baby".

Driving rain was a weak album that was a bit of dour experience

Chaos and Creation in the backyard: A return to form. At the mercy is the best song he has done in years.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    Flaming Pie is, imo, the best of his solo work
    Calico Skies is among the most beautiful pieces of music ever written
    i'm anxiously awaiting memory almost full
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    ehhh, his solo stuff has always been a little to "poppy" for me.
  • I often like to compare John and Paul's solo output during the seventies:

John: John Lennon Plastic Ono Band ***** His finest work. Stark, raw, uncompromising. Only Look at Me is a Beatles-era song; the rest is Lennon at his creative peak.

Paul: McCartney ** Apart from Maybe I'm Amazed, one of his finest works, this sounds like what it is, a lot of home demos of songs stretching back to the Esher sessions for the White Album.

John: Imagine **** His most successful solo effort, but already the well was running dry. Lennon only wrote three new songs in the first half of 1971, for this album. Jealous Guy is a rewrite of The Beatles' then-unreleased Child of Nature. Gimme Some Truth had been in development since the Get Back sessions of January 1969. How Do You Sleep? overreaches itself at times, and I Don't Want To Be A Soldier Mama could have done with being at least two minutes shorter.

Paul: Ram ****: Paul's still in whimsical mode here, but this album is criminally underrated. Yes, Paul's in lighthearted mode in contrast with John's heaviness, but this album knows how to entertain without being dumb. Haaaaaaands across the waaaaaater.... great chorus!

Wild Life **: It's dispensible. It's a stinker, even, but it doesn't stink as badly as the album directly below.

John with Yoko: Sometime in New York City (no stars) This sucks, big time. It proves that right-on politics can't stop a song from sucking. "Angela... they gave you coffee ... they gave you tea ... they gave you everything but ... equality." I mean, for fook's sake.

John: Mind Games ** Apart from the title track, and maybe Meat City, this is stoned filler.

Paul: Red Rose Speedway ****. Big Barn Bed is a fun track, and Wings are starting to gel as a band. It's good, light, solid Paul.

Band on the Run ***** Paul's solo high point, so far. It's a great album, all the way through.

John: Walls and Bridges **** A lot of people think this album's total crap, but I think it's a near-return to form for John, helped largely because he didn't feel compelled, in his so-called lost weekend days, to write every song about bloody Yoko. Steel and Glass, written about Allen Klein, sounds like John once again relying on the "diss" formula he used in How Do You Sleep?, and again it doesn't work. But there are some cracking tracks on here, Whatever Gets You Thru The Night being the obvious one. Sometimes the production exemplifies the very worst of LA coke-and-booze-fuelled studio session crapola (Scared, with its dreadful overdubbed strings and horns, being a case and point), but overall, I think there's enough quality on here to give Lennon the benefit of the doubt.

John: Rock and Roll *** It's a covers album that took forever to record (as is well documented). Sometimes John's voice is so raw from coke that no amount of added reverb can hide it.

Paul: Venus and Mars *** Apart from the Crossroads TV Theme Tune at the end, this isn't a bad album, but songs such as Rock Show sound a bit too forced at times (where Helter Skelter had been effortless).

1976- 1979

We'll skip these years. John was baking bread, writing in his journal about his wirepulling and watching videos of Monty Python all day long, whilst under enforced vows of silence one of Yoko's astrologer art dealer flunky types had recommended.

John with Yoko: Double Fantasy **.5 Well, half the album's listenable.

Paul: McCartney II **** This is a fine experimental album, the dodgy Waterfalls notwithstanding. The mellotron - made famous on Strawberry Fields Forever - got a new lease of life here. One of These Days is one of Paul's most beautiful ballads. It's deceptively simple, lyrically and chordally.

So, Paul's 1970s work is clearly more consistent than John's.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I think that Imagine is far superior to Plastic ono band. Of all the beatle solo work I would rate "All things must pass " as the best solo beatles project.

You said that " McCartney" is a great album but you only give it two stars?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i thought his last album sounded great... i loved the songs and it felt like a Beatles album.. and thats probably due to the production and the forcing of Paul to play all the instruments jsut as he did for his 1st solo album "McCartney "
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Paul has nearly always played all instruments on his solo work of late
    fada wrote:
    Paul has nearly always played all instruments on his solo work of late

sorry, but thats not true :o
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • fada wrote:
    I think that Imagine is far superior to Plastic ono band. Of all the beatle solo work I would rate "All things must pass " as the best solo beatles project.

You said that " McCartney" is a great album but you only give it two stars?

No, I said McCartney II is a great album. McCartney and McCartney II were released ten years apart.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I hate Paul McCartney with a passion bordering on being irrational, considering his work with the beatles. however, even if I concede he wrote some classic songs, the vast majority of his solo work is hideously twee and self-indulgent.

ebony and ivory - worst song ever written.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    Apples & Oranges. I prefer Paul because he writes better melodies and doesn't take himself as seriously. A bad John Lennon album is just as bad as a bad McCartney album. And the good ones are just as good. So who gives a shit? It's trendy to say OH MY GAWDZX PAUL IS SO GAY - JOHN IS SO MUCH COOLER AND STUFFZ. I'd like to know what makes Lennon so much cooler. Was it the heroin? How about when he abandoned his son? Or how about when he married that dragon witch?
    JWBusher wrote:
    I'd like to know what makes Lennon so much cooler. Was it the heroin? How about when he abandoned his son? Or how about when he married that dragon witch?

:D:D

Paul is hugely underestimated... it was Paul who pioneered the Beatles use of tape loops and early electronica,

as for doing soft melody all the time... Helter Skelter and Oh Darling are two of the Beatles most hard rocking tunes!
  • but i'm with jeremy on this one.

i firmly feel that they shot the wrong beatle.

mull of kintyrre?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuw!
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    but i'm with jeremy on this one.

i firmly feel that they shot the wrong beatle.

mull of kintyrre?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuw!

Mull Of Kintyre is better than anything on Mind Games or Sometime In NYC.
  • JWBusher wrote:

I agree, even if its melody does sound somewhat lifted from John Martyn's superlative arrangement of Eibhli Ghail Chiuin Ni Chearbhail (1973):

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=50:jifqxxedldfe~T
    ye cannae beat a song wi' fuckin bagpipes in it :):)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    ebony and ivory - worst song ever written.

the video for that song is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gay
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    JWBusher wrote:

great song.

and london town is an overlooked work of genius.