I Want You(she's so heavy)

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited June 2007 in Other Music
A very good song on an amazing album but what I question such the outro have been cut by one minute? It seems a bit overdrawn for me and ponders on at the end a bit
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i've thought that in the past... but then i remember i cant write songs and its Lennon/McCartney.. so i guess if they were ok with then so should I ;)

i have thought that it goes on a wee bit too long though.. still, i comfort myself by using the fast-forward thingy on the thingamijig
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Like I said I think that it is a brillant song but just about one minute long to much of an outro
  • "The sudden end of the song was intentional and orchestrated by Lennon. In the spirit of the band, it was pushing the boundaries of what was 'allowed' on a record; full volume slashes were certainly not the norm."
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I thought It should have ended in the same manner as Dear Prudence does or in the loud bit at the end of the chorus
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    it might go on a bit long but its siiiiiiick
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    I actually love the ending. I think the transition from such a dark and gloomy ending into Here Comes the Sun is one of the most perfect transitions on any rock album. It makes Here Comes the Sun so much more cheerful when it follows that ending.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Some songs work really well when the same line is repeated to make the song longer (Hey Jude).............this is not one of them, the length and repetition of the song really ruin it for me
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Some songs work really well when the same line is repeated to make the song longer (Hey Jude).............this is not one of them, the length and repetition of the song really ruin it for me

Actually, I think that I Want You and Hey Jude would be better off if cut by a min and half or so too. Hey Jude more than I Want You great outros: the riff of I Want You is wonderful and I like the na na na stuff on Hey Jude. it's not that they're too long. it's just they're repetitive. I Want You needs a guitar solo over the outro or maybe they should have gone heavier with the organ. whatever, they're both still great songs.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • What you have to remember is that this song ends side one of the vinyl album. The sudden ending was a shock, an in-joke, a play against the big orgasmic ending on side two of Sgt Pepper (and its inner groove ending).

Also, vinyl technology was changing. The recommended length of a side was such-and-such (I forget, something like 23 minutes), without losing audio quality. Here you had a beautiful-sounding album and a seemingly endless track. (There was no track length time listed on the original vinyl release.) People could only guess the length of the piece by keeping their eyes on the stylus going around the disc. Most people would chill out with their eyes shut, thinking, ah, I'll hear the ending. Lennon kept 'em on their toes. ;)
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Chances are... in 1969, when you were listening to 'Abbey Road'... you were stoned. So, it sounded just right.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    What you have to remember is that this song ends side one of the vinyl album. The sudden ending was a shock, an in-joke, a play against the big orgasmic ending on side two of Sgt Pepper (and its inner groove ending).

Also, vinyl technology was changing. The recommended length of a side was such-and-such (I forget, something like 23 minutes), without losing audio quality. Here you had a beautiful-sounding album and a seemingly endless track. (There was no track length time listed on the original vinyl release.) People could only guess the length of the piece by keeping their eyes on the stylus going around the disc. Most people would chill out with their eyes shut, thinking, ah, I'll hear the ending. Lennon kept 'em on their toes. ;)

reading that makes we wish i was around in those days and experiencing shit like that at the time... rather than knowing more about the Beatles before I had heard them.. i wish i was around for when albums were released.

I'm actually thinking about buying a record player just to have that whole early teen feeling back... and buying vinyl compared to CD made me feel like i was getting more for my money... bigger covers, bigger inlays, photos, etc... i'm not looking forward to hunting for great albums on vinyl again though!!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.