Eric Clapton

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Coming to Cork this Friday. Really looking forward to it.
I have disreali gears and cream greatest hits( I have heard the others)
Blind faith, John Mayall and the bluesbreakers, Derek and Dominoes and two solo great hits.

Has anyone here ever seen him live?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    I've seen him many many times over the years. Some good, some bad, some middling, some trancendent. I hear he is in fine form on this tour, so you should be in for a treat. Enjoy!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I definitley think his playing is ONLY getting better!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    What times (years ) did you see him and has his abstinence helped him over time?
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Oh gosh,,, I guess the first time was in the late 70s, 461 Ocean Blvd tour I think. Solo performances through the 80s/90s to date.
    He was great at MSG recently with Steve Winwood. I also like the return to roots stuff he did a few years ago. I passed on the Cream reunion--I personally have had my fill of White Room, Sunshine, etc. IMO those tunes don't hold it for me anymore.
    I think his vocal phrasing has improved tons over the years. His guitar playing has been constant in that he is true to the blues form, and I do think sobriety fits him well.
    Really looks well for a guy in his sixties considering what he put his body through. I always thought over the last few years when he got rid of the Mtv unplugged hair he had this right cool look about him
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Just saw him a few weeks ago and he was just great...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    would have loved to see him this tour (esp. the garden shows with Steve Winwood) I saw him back in 98.Good show.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    fada wrote:
    Coming to Cork this Friday. Really looking forward to it.
    I have disreali gears and cream greatest hits( I have heard the others)
    Blind faith, John Mayall and the bluesbreakers, Derek and Dominoes and two solo great hits.

Has anyone here ever seen him live?

I saw Clapton back in 2007 in Dallas Tx and it was an amazing show. He played alot of stuff from rhe Dereck and the Donimos era of his career, plus an awesome mimi acoustic bit. He was playing with Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks so the band was incredible. "wonderful tonight" "Layla", "tell the truth" "Little wing (Hendeix), "Running on faith" and cross roads with Robert Cray were definite highlights for me. I hope to see Clapton again in the near future.
    Not sure what Clapton is playing now setlist wise, but he is amazing. Have a great time.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    Great gig by Eric last night in Cork. He didn't play alot of his classic ( no After Midnight, Crossroads,I shot the sheriff , lay down sally, tears in heaven).
    the band was really tight. Brillant guitar player with him and he had Paul McCartney's drummer.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    fada wrote:
    Great gig by Eric last night in Cork. He didn't play alot of his classic ( no After Midnight, Crossroads,I shot the sheriff , lay down sally, tears in heaven).
    the band was really tight. Brillant guitar player with him and he had Paul McCartney's drummer.

that was Doyle Bramhall II on the guitar with Clapton. He has been opening and now playing with Eric since 2001

A Texas native whose dad was Stevie Ray Vaughan's songwriting partner and was also in a band in the 90s called the Arc Angels with Charlie Sexton. A funny thing about Doyle, he plays guitar left-handed but his guitars are strung as if to be played by a right handed player. In other words, the low E string is at the bottom of his guitar, and the high string at the top.
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Saw him in Malahide last night. The ads said show time was 8.30, got there at 8.00 and he had already been on for a while. Then towards the end of the main set, at the solo in Layla no less, there was a power cut. The emergency generators only covered the on-stage amps. He played on regardless and into the next song before power returned and the same thing happened during the two song encore. Overall a good night though.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
    Would you have the setlist?
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    No sorry, I'm not a huge fan really so I wouldn't have known everything. We even missed the start of the show. But I've found this site which looks good for setlists and reviews. Cork setlist is coming soon, surely Malahide will follow. http://www.whereseric.com/news/2008/06/eric-clapton-cork-20-june-2008.html
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı