Metallica

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I am not a fan of band and don't know very much of their music but having watching the documentary on the making of ST. Anger I have a few questions on the band.

How was the album perceived?

Is Lars that big of a dick?

How has the new bass player settled?

Would Metallica be the biggest concert draw in the STates?

Is James still of the booze?

The old bassist was it that he was spending more time in his other band that was the real reason that he left the band or are there other issues?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keyser_sozekeyser_soze Posts: 205
    fada wrote:
    I am not a fan of band and don't know very much of their music but having watching the documentary on the making of ST. Anger I have a few questions on the band.

The old bassist was it that he was spending more time in his other band that was the real reason that he left the band or are there other issues?

amongst me and my friends who are metallica fans the album is viewed as a major piece of shit.

we also reckon lars is probably the biggest dick to hold a stick. awesome drummer though.

bassisst seems to have fit in well.

dunno if james is still off the booze. officially he is off it.

metallica would probably be one of the biggest concert draws in the world.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    fada wrote:

Very well at first, probably just hype because it was the first studio in nearly 7 years.
    fada wrote:
    Yes.
    fada wrote:
    Seems to be fitting in, but I hear they only chose him 'cause he could play like Cliff (original bass player).
    fada wrote:
    Big, yeah.....biggest.....no way.
    fada wrote:
    Probably.
    fada wrote:
    He left the band because he was treated like shit. He had a side project that he wanted to pursue and was allowed to be more creative with them.

I strongly recommend early Metallica. The first four albums are amazing, lyrically, musically, everything.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Why was he treated with such content when from what I gathered he played bass in the band for over 15 years?

I'll check out their earlier material on youtube at a later date.

The song writing process. I would have thought that they would have tried writing some songs at home than just doing them there and then.

does hatfield sing in a caricature of himself( growl and so forth) in much the same way that Liam Gallagher does now in Oasis( espically live).

I'm not sure if the treatment was that good what the band and sounded a bit shit to me.

Kirk Hammett seems a quiet decent fella.
    fada wrote:
    Why was he treated with such content when from what I gathered he played bass in the band for over 15 years?
    Wasn't quite that long, and was worse in the beginning, but he was very used still.
    fada wrote:
    I'll check out their earlier material on youtube at a later date.
    Preferably something from Master of Puppets ;)
    fada wrote:
    The song writing process. I would have thought that they would have tried writing some songs at home than just doing them there and then.
    It was an experiment. They wanted to write the record together, without any outside inspiration blah, blah.
    fada wrote:
    does hatfield sing in a caricature of himself( growl and so forth) in much the same way that Liam Gallagher does now in Oasis( espically live).
    Sorry don't know.
    fada wrote:
    I'm not sure if the treatment was that good what the band and sounded a bit shit to me.
    Yes the album is crap, they tried to be something they aren't. This "crap sound" doesn't apply to any of their other records except maybe ReLoad (which I consider more of a B-Side album to Load anyway).
    fada wrote:
    Kirk Hammett seems a quiet decent fella.
    Yeah he's cool.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i'm not a big metallica fan but i LOVED some kind of monster, great great music doco. some of it was just hilarious! lars is one funny motherfucker! i recommend a watch to any music fan
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Metallica are like little cry babies in that movie. all 3 of them. I'd be embarrassed if Pearl Jam ever portrayed themselves in that light.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I lost alot of respect for MEtallica after seeing that movie, what little respect I had left for them after the whole Napster ordeal, I loved everything up till Reload, then St. Anger was possibly the biggest let down I've ever had when I bought an album, I waited 6 or 7 years for this? And yes, if I could pick one member of the band to meet it would be Kirk, he seems the most down to earth guy in that band, I heard when Ed goes to Hawaii that he, Kirk and Jack Johnson jam together
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    My lifestyle determines my deathstyle. tick tock tick tock.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    danny72688 wrote:
    Wasn't quite that long, and was worse in the beginning, but he was very used still.

Preferably something from Master of Puppets ;)

It was an experiment. They wanted to write the record together, without any outside inspiration blah, blah.

Sorry don't know.

Yes the album is crap, they tried to be something they aren't. This "crap sound" doesn't apply to any of their other records except maybe ReLoad (which I consider more of a B-Side album to Load anyway).

Yeah he's cool.

If I had a nickel for every wise man who pontificates on how bad the Loads are, I'd have a lot more than 30 bucks.

The Loads are excellent albums, GArage Inc is superb, and S&M is a major triumph.
    If you doubt that, read a bio on Michael Kamen, then ask yourself why a man of his standing would choose to do that project with them.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Load was a great album, Reload sucked!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    If I had a nickel for every wise man who pontificates on how bad the Loads are, I'd have a lot more than 30 bucks.

This is how I feel:
    TheGossman wrote:
    Load was a great album, Reload sucked!
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    i'd like to add one more question:

can someone please tell lars to spit the big fucking wad of gum out of his mouth when he's talking? christ.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
    danny72688 wrote:
    This is how I feel:

Ka-ching !!!!

2 more nickels !!

The Unforgiven 2
    Memory Remains
    Devils DAnce
    Low MAn's Lyric
    Fuel

all good songs !!
  • I loved the film "Some Kind of Monster"... just fascinating stuff.

St. Anger, on the other hand.... the less said, the better.
    If you're headed to the grave,
    you don't blame the hearse.

07/09/03, 05/05/06, 06/01/06, 06/03/06
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    I loved the film "Some Kind of Monster"... just fascinating stuff.

St. Anger, on the other hand.... the less said, the better.

some kind of monster really opened my eyes as to how.............stupid they all are.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I see it as mixed, I think some songs are great, other shit. I think it was kind of a "yeah ok, next, you guys are like 50 and doing a thrash album" album.

Yeah, he is always a dick

couldn't tell you.

used to be, but no way anymore

hope so

The old bassist was it that he was spending more time in his other band that was the real reason that he left the band or are there other issues?[/quote]
    James is a control freak and couldn;t stand he wanted to be in another band if he had Metallica. Funny as that is why he wanted to play stuff on the seid since James and Lars pretty much seem to make all the decisions. Jason was a bad ass, I hope he finds happiness somewhere.
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    I see it as mixed, I think some songs are great, other shit. I think it was kind of a "yeah ok, next, you guys are like 50 and doing a thrash album" album.

And yet, they probbly did this because so many fans were always like, "yeah we want MOP episode 23".

The TBA/Loads were the music they were maturing into, but not good enough for the hard core wankers.

I'm hoping they do their own thing next time. Making music to try to please fans is not a good idea.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Yeah, Metallica. Those guys were a big part of my teenage years, I think I saw them around 10 or 11 times between '86 and '95. Master of Puppets is their best work by a country fuckin mile, 8 songs, 50 odd minutes of pure classic heavy metal-I've described it to friends whilst drunk in pubs as "a fuckin symphony of heavy metal". Don't anyone tell me they've done anything better, cos simply they haven't. St Anger to be fair was a poor record, but also they were primed and ready targets for the press to unload on them-ye, it's not great, but niether is say 'houses of the holy' by Led Zep. Bands can hit a high,it's almost impossible to stay up there. There were issues with Jason (old bass player), they seem to have realised their mistakes too late. You have to realise that he was handed the biggest gig in metal back in '86,from obscurity to the biggest new metal band around. The guys seem to realise now that they kind of held it against him in some way, remember their best pal was killed in a terrible tragedy when they were on the brink of breaking the world. A combination of their ambition and management pressure meant that Cliff was replaced far too quickly, and to them Jason was only ever looked upon (rightly or wrongly) as this lucky mo' fo' who stepped in to an already great band at the expense of their pal. Jason seems like a genuine individual, great musician, he was just on a hiding to nothing the whole time it seems. Lars has always got stick for being a 'rockstar', he was the one who courted journalists, and hung out with other cool new bands-he new the importance of keeping up a bands profile, so dick or not-it's how you percieve his actions. Don't know 'bout James, but you could see a marked difference in him on the movie after the rehab treatment. Big in America? well I don't know, but at one time they were for sure-remember that tour with Guns n roses? They've sold out Wembley stadium here in the UK next month, which is a lot of fuckin tickets-probably about 60,000 or more I guess. They're not what they were, but who is? Our beloved Pearl Jam are percieved as 'past it' in a London newspaper review of the Wembley gig only this week! I was there and they were fuckin steaming. But they kinda dropped out of the main stream game whilst still at the top, if you know what I mean-and that's part of why they kept so much integrity within the music press. They don't play the game, cut themselves loose years ago from it-sure they sell less records now, but everyone who buys them buys them for the right reasons-not because it's been shoved down their throats with a magazine campaign! Respect Metallica, they've made great records and maybe will again one day.Love to all, JUK.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....