yes

dreamncolordreamncolor Posts: 380
edited January 2006 in Other Music
really reaching now....but i do wonder if there are any yes fans...besides buru and signal to noise...out here on the pj board? probably one of my first loves as a young teen....right along with early genesis and the rolling stones. the music of my youth to be sure, and i never tire of em.

one of my all-time fave albums, ever....close to the edge.

Close to the Edge

I. The Solid Time Of Change
(Anderson/Howe)

A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace,
And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar,
Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour.
And assessing points to nowhere, leading ev'ry single one.
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun,
And take away the plain in which we move,
And choose the course you're running.

Down at the edge, round by the corner,
Not right away, not right away.
Close to the edge, down by a river,
Not right away, not right away.

Crossed the line around the changes of the summer,
Reaching out to call the color of the sky.
Passed around a moment clothed in mornings faster than we see.
Getting over all the time I had to worry,
Leaving all the changes far from far behind.
We relieve the tension only to find out the master's name.

Down at the end, round by the corner.
Close to the edge, just by a river.
Seasons will pass you by.
I get up, I get down.
Now that it's all over and done,
Now that you find, now that you're whole.

II. Total Mass Retain
(Anderson/Squire)

My eyes convinced, eclipsed with the younger moon attained with love.
It changed as almost strained amidst clear manna from above.
I crucified my hate and held the word within my hand.
There's you, the time, the logic, or the reasons we don't understand.

Sad courage claimed the victims standing still for all to see,
As armoured movers took approached to overlook the sea.
There since the cord, the license, or the reasons we understood will be.

Down at the edge, close by a river.
Close to the edge, round by the corner.
Close to the end, down by the corner.
Down at the edge, round by the river.

Sudden problems shouldn't take away the startled memory.
All in all, the journey takes you all the way.
As apart from any reality that you've ever seen and known.
Guessing problems only to deceive the mention,
Passing paths that climb halfway into the void.
As we cross from side to side, we hear the total mass retain.

Down at the edge, round by the corner.
Close to the end, down by a river.
Seasons will pass you by.
I get up, I get down.

III. I Get Up, I Get Down
(Anderson/Howe)

In her white lace, you could clearly see the lady sadly looking.
Saying that she'd take the blame
For the crucifixion of her own domain. I get up,
I get down,
I get up,
I get down.

Two million people barely satisfy.
Two hundred women watch one woman cry, too late.
The eyes of honesty can achieve.
How many millions do we deceive each day?
I get up, I get down.
I get up, I get down.

In charge of who is there in charge of me.
Do I look on blindly and say I see the way?
The truth is written all along the page.
How old will I be before I come of age for you?
I get up, I get down.
I get up, I get down.
I get up, I get down.

IV. Seasons Of Man
(Anderson/Howe)

The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.
A constant vogue of triumphs dislocate man, it seems.
And space between the focus shape ascend knowledge of love.
As song and chance develop time, lost social temp'rance rules above.
Ah, ah.

Then according to the man who showed his outstretched arm to space,
He turned around and pointed, revealing all the human race.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper, knowing all about the place.
On the hill we viewed the silence of the valley,
Called to witness cycles only of the past.
And we reach all this with movements in between the said remark.

Close to the edge, down by the river.
Down at the end, round by the corner.
Seasons will pass you by,
Now that it's all over and done,
Called to the seed, right to the sun.
Now that you find, now that you're whole.
Seasons will pass you by,
I get up, I get down.
I get up, I get down.
I get up, I get down.
I get up.
i'll ride the wave where it takes me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Big prog rock fan.....ELP.....Genesis (w/ Peter Gabriel or most of the stuff prior to Invisible Touch)......King Crimson.......and Yes.

"Starship Trooper," "Siberian Khatru," "Don't Kill The Whale"....all great songs and some of my faves.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • To be honest Yes were okay, but they were no where near as good as NO!
    NO Rocks!

No>Yes
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    one of the few bands i can't stand.

years of pointless noodleing.....
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    One night after a hearty jam, we sittin around drinkin and smokin a few and the question was asked, favorite band of all time?

I say Zeppelin, but Floyd had just played Live 8 and that inspired a binge, and PJ got an honorable mention b/c when they are touring it gets ridiculous. If I wake up in the middle of the night I will check for new setlists, if I crashed too early to get it before bedtime.

Other guitar player-Zeppelin, no ifs ands or buts

Singer-I wanna say he said Jimmy Eat World

Drummer-Pink Floyd with knod to Tool

Bass-I couldnt believe it when he said Yes. He proceed to jam out on his bass, by himself mind you, and attempted to teach me in their ways. All I could say at the end was sing over and over was "Owner of a Lonely Heart".
  • Yes is good stuff, I am a fan and would to see them in concert!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I was quite the little Yes fan just prior to "90215" being released. Everyone made fun of me, but then when that album was released...well, I became smug! My husband & I saw "Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe" in Vancouver in 1991? 1990? They were not very good at all. We had to leave during my fave song ("Starship Trooper")...and I've never walked out of concert before or since. It's a shame they were so bad, because we had 2nd row centre...However, they were not YES, but rather a combination of Yes members that just couldn't get along...

So yeah, I've got a whole pile of (now) rare Yes crap in my basement. Yes, Asia, ELP, Moody Blues, the list goes on...
    be philanthropic
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    tybird wrote:
    Big prog rock fan.....ELP.....Genesis (w/ Peter Gabriel or most of the stuff prior to Invisible Touch)......King Crimson.......and Yes.

"Starship Trooper," "Siberian Khatru," "Don't Kill The Whale"....all great songs and some of my faves.

how'd i know you'd show up here. ;)

yikes...invisible touch? *shudders*. my cutoff is abacab. :p hahaha. however, definitely favor genesis with peter gabriel. looking forward to that reunion tour. :p

i am amazed at how much i still love yes. fragile was probably my very first album, given to me by my middle sister. great, great music imho.

nice to see a few still around who appreciate them. i only saw yes in concert once, when they put out that 90125 album. i was too young for anything else before then. they put on an excellent show when i saw them. glad i got to see them at least once. anything past that album, not classic yes to me.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    how'd i know you'd show up here. ;)

yikes...invisible touch? *shudders*. my cutoff is abacab. :p hahaha. however, definitely favor genesis with peter gabriel. looking forward to that reunion tour. :p
    I love "Abacab" and "Three Sides Live." The self-titled album has a number of good songs on it ("Land of Cofusion", "Home By The Sea"). "Invisible Touch" is probably one of the biggest sell-out albums of all time. BAH!!!!!! After that it was beer commercials and more MTV friendly videos.........:mad:

I never got to see Yes live....:(....by the time that I discovered them, they stopped visiting my general area.

I don't think Genesis ever came through either???? If the reunion tour happens in the U.S., I'm sure I will have to travel a fair piece to catch it.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    Yes - have 2 older brothers who are huge Yes fans - went to see them twice in Philly with them - great shows - kick ass musicians. I mostly knew the hits and didnt' really play more than a few of them, but still thought the shows kicked ass. This was back in probably 2002 or so. Really appreciated their talent after seeing them live - glad I got to see them.

also like Genesis a bit and hope the rumors of a reunion tour with Peter Gabriel are true - never saw them (hated that mid-80s Genesis Inivisible Touch crap) live but would dig seeing them with Gabriel. Older Genesis kicks ass - Trick of the Tail is really good stuff. Enjoy 3 Sides Live also.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    tybird wrote:
    I love "Abacab" and "Three Sides Live." The self-titled album has a number of good songs on it ("Land of Cofusion", "Home By The Sea"). "Invisible Touch" is probably one of the biggest sell-out albums of all time. BAH!!!!!! After that it was beer commercials and more MTV friendly videos.........:mad:

I never got to see Yes live....:(....by the time that I discovered them, they stopped visiting my general area.

I don't think Genesis ever came through either???? If the reunion tour happens in the U.S., I'm sure I will have to travel a fair piece to catch it.

mr. dream adored three sides live. the self-titled album was the last genesis album i ever bought, and turned me off from there. however, i much prefer gabriel era genesis....the lamb lies down on broadway to me, being the pinnacle of their brilliance.

i AM very happy i got to see yes live once, they were such a love of mine. it is amazing how some music, no matter what, you NEVER tire of. i think i will be 90 and STILL loving close to the edge in particular. beautiful music. :)

btw - if genesis reunites...come on up to NY with daystar! what a blast! :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow