Best 1990's rock vocal performance?

2»

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Richard Ashcroft on The Verve - Urban Hymns
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Chris Cornell in every album he ever released in the 90's.

Jeff Buckley- Grace

Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell- Jar of Flies

Ed Vedder- VS

Bruce Dickinson- Fear of the Dark

Mikael Akerfeldt- Still Life

Jon Oliva (Savatage)- Gutter Ballet and Streets

Axl Rose- Use Your Illusion I

Sebastian Bach- Slave to the Grind

Maynard James Keenan- Undertow and Aenima

Chuck Schuldiner- Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance
    I'll cut you in.
  • pirlo21 wrote:
    Anything by Cornell & Mark Lanegan. Quick mention also to James Dean Bradfield. Great singer, underrated guitarist.

Totally agree on JDB, he has a fantastic voice, reminds me a lot of Freddy Mercury.
  • i agree with chris cornell on totd, especially say hello 2 heaven and reach down...
    and unplugged in nyc...lake of fire and where did you sleep last night? are incredible
    and everything eddie did...

nowadays such passion is hard to find...maybe this is the reason why modern rock music is so boring in most cases...
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    after two days of solid listening, I have never heard a vocal performance like Say Hello 2 Heaven. it was high on my list before but it hit me today. so much emotion in that song, and the whole album. cornell's greatest moment without a doubt. the ending of that song blows my mind, when he hits the highest note... its just incredible.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Totally agree on JDB, he has a fantastic voice, reminds me a lot of Freddy Mercury.
    I think Cornell and Buckley, Thom Yorke, Vedder, and even Stanley could be put on the list of 'best voices in rock music history'. Put HIGH on the list.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I don't think Thom Yorke can sing for shit. He has a really bad voice. Neil Young and Bob Dylan have demonstrated less than conventional singing voices and, become part of their sound. Yorke just sounds terrible. On High And Dry and Street Spirit he puts it to good use, but Idioteque? :eek: Airbag :eek: No Surprises? :eek: I think you'd have to be insane to call him a good singer.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I don't think Thom Yorke can sing for shit. He has a really bad voice. Neil Young and Bob Dylan have demonstrated less than conventional singing voices and, become part of their sound. Yorke just sounds terrible. On High And Dry and Street Spirit he puts it to good use, but Idioteque? :eek: Airbag :eek: No Surprises? :eek: I think you'd have to be insane to call him a good singer.
    Oh my god, I can understand why you might not like his voice but for christ sake, you named three of the songs that best display his voice. Airbag is brilliant.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • i love pearl jam and eddie vedder just as much as the next guy but to put him in the same breath as chris cornell is not right imo. Chris Cornell has the greatest voice in rock history (of course my opinion). As mentioned before, totd is unbelievable. some of the notes he reaches are simply stunning, his range is unbelievable, and i get goosebumps listening to the last part of say hello 2 heaven. i also like to point to never the machine forever as a song that only chris cornell could sing.
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    after two days of solid listening, I have never heard a vocal performance like Say Hello 2 Heaven. it was high on my list before but it hit me today. so much emotion in that song, and the whole album. cornell's greatest moment without a doubt. the ending of that song blows my mind, when he hits the highest note... its just incredible.

Yep, that's why it kind of makes me laugh when you get people saying, oh he aint as good as people like Robert Plant or Freddy Mercury. As much as I like both those artists, neither would have touched Say hello 2 heaven with such clarity and emotion. Particularly Plant who's upper register, whilst mighty impressive, could sound quite thin. Cornell's voice on the other hand, still sounded really rich and strong, which probably has to do with the fact he's a baritone hitting high notes, and not a tenor.
  • im gonna join in

cornell
    lanegan
    mjkeenan-was apc stuff 90s?
    staley
    vedder
    greg dulli
    brandon boyd
    skin
    courtney love (lol joke)
  • im gonna join in

cornell
    lanegan
    mjkeenan-was apc stuff 90s?
    staley
    vedder
    greg dulli
    brandon boyd
    skin
    courtney love (lol joke)

Big up for Greg Dulli!!! Oh and I have a Courtney Love performance that could quite possibly change a few minds......
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Off the top of my head:

Axl Rose - You Could Be Mine
    Chris Cornell - Limo Wreck
    Mike Patton - Digging The Grave
    Layne Staley - Them Bones