Starlight Ballroom in Philly - What's it Like??

gang green diseasegang green disease Posts: 16
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Hello

I'm headed to the Starlight Ballroom in Philadelphia for the 7/31 Sleater-Kinney show. It seems like a hole in the wall from what I can tell, but I was wondering what the neighborhood was like, is it easy to get to, etc since I'm coming in from out of state (CT).

Basically if you know anything about the joint and don't mind sharing I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks!
"I hit like Mickey Mantle," Vedder said. "Hung over."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,207
    I've heard it is tiny. But I don't live in Philly so I'm not sure either.

I'm excited for the show!
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • I m going Too!!!!!!! i cant wait for Monday to Come~~~~

i am familiar with the area, its a cool area , alot of bars and clubs, the area ofthe city is called Northern Liberties, however i have never been to the Starlight Ball room so i cant offer any info on what its like inside !
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • I saw Lightning Bolt and Sonic Youth there, its a little cramped but its nice. Water is usually $2, The line to get it usually starts about an hour and a half before the time on your ticket. They usually let you in 15-25 minutes AFTER the time on your ticket. I've never driven down there myself (had someone else drive) but it seemed fairly easy to get to with mapquest. During the concerts (as you might have guessed) it gets really really hot and you sweat like crazy. Sorry I can't think of any more information.

See ya there!
    "I sometimes wonder why there isn't a Tee-Pees R Us."

-Ed
  • I m going Too!!!!!!! i cant wait for Monday to Come~~~~

i am familiar with the area, its a cool area , alot of bars and clubs, the area ofthe city is called Northern Liberties, however i have never been to the Starlight Ball room so i cant offer any info on what its like inside !

Appreciate the info, especially about the bars/clubs in the area since I'll probably be getting there early and it's nice to know I can catch a buzz first. Anyone know if they sell beer at the venue? Will parking be a problem if I get there in the afternoon? Bar/restaurant recommendations in the area??

Sorry for all the questions but appreciate the help. I'm stoked for the show...never seen 'em live.
  • the venue itself is pretty cool. sound is good because it's pretty small. i saw Stars there.

northern liberties - where all the bars are - is actually a little east of the starlite ballroom. definitely walking distance though.

this is not meant to scare, but rather to warn - the starlite ballroom is not in the best area. it's fine-enough right where it is, but do not travel west or north.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • the venue itself is pretty cool. sound is good because it's pretty small. i saw Stars there.

northern liberties - where all the bars are - is actually a little east of the starlite ballroom. definitely walking distance though.

this is not meant to scare, but rather to warn - the starlite ballroom is not in the best area. it's fine-enough right where it is, but do not travel west or north.

Good stuff - I'm not afraid of a big bad city (I've spent a lot of my life in THE City as well as Boston) but always like to know which direction to avoid. Thanks for the heads up.
  • If you are looking for a really cool spot to hang out at before the show , go to Whiskey Dix Saloon. its on 7th between callowhill and Spring garden just two block s away from the starlight ballroom is on 9th between callowhill and spring garden

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

• If you are looking for a really cool spot to hang out at before the show , go to Whiskey Dix Saloon. its on 7th between callowhill and Spring garden just two block s away from the starlight ballroom is on 9th between callowhill and spring garden

i checked their website out and unless i'm reading it wrong i think they're closed mondays...bummer.
  • becks519becks519 Posts: 13
    thanks for all the info. i'm heading down from nyc for this show and i didn't know anything about the venue.

i'm taking the train in, does anyone know how far it is from 30th st station?
  • becks519 wrote:
    thanks for all the info. i'm heading down from nyc for this show and i didn't know anything about the venue.

i'm taking the train in, does anyone know how far it is from 30th st station?
    around 27 blocks