Ben Harper 'Burns Down' The House

Baba O'BrileyBaba O'Briley Posts: 73
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I don't know why there aren't more Ben Harper posts in this section, I know Audioslave is the hot topic right now but Ben's on tour! and I know a lot of people on this board probably saw him in concert this summer. So to all the jammers out there, show Ben Harper some love. I just say Ben Harper live in concert last Saturday at the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto. So I posted up a concert review on my MSN Live Space, here's the link to it check it out(abbreviated version below), and I encourage all those who saw Ben and The Innocent Criminals on tour this summer to post about their experiences at shows.

http://brileys.spaces.live.com/

....It was cool to hear the new songs live, they sound much better live then on the CD. They played a lot of the songs that I was hoping to hear including my favourite BH song Forgiven, Ben rocked the crap outa the solo on that tune. One of the things that I like to see when I go to a show is an extended jam on a tune, and we were treated to a bunch of those at this show. Most notably was a four minute Bass solo by Juan Nelson (I think it was on 'Black Rain'), and there was also a show stopping bongo solo by Leon Mogley during 'Burn One Down', that solo was...dope.

I took a bunch of pictures at the show (I'll upload 'em one of these days, so check back here for those), and attempted to take some videos as well but damn it all to hell my camera cut off the recording part way through the songs I tried to record (I think that I probably need to format the memory card, hopefully that will solve the problem for future recordings).

SETLIST [RATING BELOW]
09.02.2006 - Molson Amphitheatre - Toronto, Canada

Set I:
• Faded
• Both Sides Of The Gun
• Steal My Kisses
• Diamonds On The Inside
• Get It Like You Like It
• Waiting For You
• Morning Yearning
• Forgiven
• Please Don't Talk About Murder While I'm Eating
• Ground On Down
• Black Rain
• Get Up, Stand Up'[featuring Damien Marley]

Encore I:
• Another Lonely Day
• Walk Away
• There Will Be A Light
• Lifeline
• Glory & Consequence

Encore II:
• Amen Omen
• Suzie Blue
• Sexual Healing
• Burn One Down
• Better Way

Overall I give this show four-out-of-five McCready heads, the setlist was great they played a lot of the songs that I was hoping to hear, the new songs sounded great and we also lucked out and got a few rarities mixed in. Ben's voice was strong as always, and The Innocent Criminals really showed off their instrumental forte.
05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
Keep On Rockin In The Free World
http://spaces.msn.com/brileys
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• agreed - ben harper is the man.

i'm really jealous of you for getting such a nice, long set.. saw him in montreal sunday, and he was really great - but because it was a festival, only played for an hour and a half..

would love to have heard there will be a light, get up stand up with marley, sexual healing, another lonely day and amen omen..

one cool song that we did get that apparently you didn't was neil young's heart of gold - which was really fantastic.

come back to montreal again, ben! and play a real set!
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I've seen him 3 times live, but it's been awhile since I've seen him. But his live show is oneof the best out there. Out of the many concerts I've been to, his concerts seem to be the most spiritual.....almost a religious experience.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Ben Harper is on tonights Conan show- brand new episode. Just about 35 minutes until air-time.

enjoy .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    that sounds amazing. I may have to look into seeing him now
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • I'm going to see him tomorrow night, Sept 9th and can't wait. I've seen him before and it is absolutely first rate. I might be biased though, I'm more than your avegerage Ben Harper fan, I recently got some lyrics from Forgiven tattooed from shoulder to shoulder if that gives you any idea. But if are even remotely interested and get the change to see him, check it out and you WILL NOT be disappointed.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • Char. Zero, let us know how the show is, I'd live to see your review of it! Also do you have a pic of your tattoo that you can post up, I'd love to see it. Forgiven is my fav BH tune, great lyrics and the solo in it is my favourite solo of all time, I find it theraputic to listen to Forgiven especially when I'm feeling guilty.
    05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World
    http://spaces.msn.com/brileys