video of Dinosaur Jr playing "Just Like Heaven" in Boston 11/24/07

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
edited November 2007 in Other Music
enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-rqVjbK5Og

what a great show. my ears just stopped ringing within the last 12 hours.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Oh i can't wait to see this when i get home :)

I love J Mascis. The Master Face Melter :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I saw them play here last year. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in their setlist. They played almost nothing from "Where You Been" and later, which is when I started getting into them. Plus, you could barely hear his vocals, and I do believe my ears were bleeding after the show. Still, I love me some Dinosaur Jr. and would love to see them again.

Has anyone heard J play "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" by the Smiths? He played it acoustic on the Martin & Me cd. Great cover.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    gabers wrote:
    I saw them play here last year. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in their setlist. They played almost nothing from "Where You Been" and later, which is when I started getting into them. Plus, you could barely hear his vocals, and I do believe my ears were bleeding after the show. Still, I love me some Dinosaur Jr. and would love to see them again.

Has anyone heard J play "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" by the Smiths? He played it acoustic on the Martin & Me cd. Great cover.

I think mascis refuses to play those songs-because they are poppy
    they were only playing stuff from the first few records on that tour

the cure cover was definitely a highlight
  • I love Where You Been? and that song Feel The Pain. Haven't really listened to J's other stuff. I really want to but haven't bought anything else from them.
  • gabers wrote:

The original concept of the tour/reunion was because the first 3 records were being re-released and they wanted to celebrate that with the original lineup playing the songs, so they only played the first three records. But they have started playing some other stuff lately, I know they play "out there," "feel the pain," and "the wagon." Maybe one or two others. But I would really love to hear some other stuff too, and Where you been is my favorite Dino record. I would love to hear "Get Me."
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    gabers wrote:

Well, because they now have all of the original members from the first three albums, I think that's why they gravitate towards that material. and they play those old songs SO MUCH better now, especially J with his solos. However, I have to admit Where You Been is probably my favorite album, so it kinda sucked that they only played "Out There" from that. i was hoping for Start Choppin and Get Me. and I don't think they played anything from Green Mind either. But the new album is killer and I was very happy to see them jam out with the new material. the only song from that album that I wanted to hear but they didn't play was We're Not Alone.

i don't have their first album (only one I don't have by them) but the two songs they played from that album, Gargoyle and Mountain Man, I loved immediately. Lou Barlow asked the crowd if they wanted to hear Tarpit or Mountain Man, and I could only cheer for the one I knew, but I'm glad the crowd cheered louder for the other one - actually it was hard to tell which got the louder response, but whatever.
    The original concept of the tour/reunion was because the first 3 records were being re-released and they wanted to celebrate that with the original lineup playing the songs, so they only played the first three records. But they have started playing some other stuff lately, I know they play "out there," "feel the pain," and "the wagon." Maybe one or two others. But I would really love to hear some other stuff too, and Where you been is my favorite Dino record. I would love to hear "Get Me."

weird... i just read this post now... and you said pretty much exactly what i just said.
    here's a better video of the same song from a different show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opGVdOIeuUQ

and better crowd too
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-rqVjbK5Og

what a great show. my ears just stopped ringing within the last 12 hours.

Thank you for sharing. I'd never really heard them. That being said, I'm afraid I didn't like it all. I love The Cure, and this just sounded mangled to me, but the world's big enough for many tastes.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Since when did J Mascis go from a dark haired slacker rock god to a Munster that plays guitar? I hardly recognized him at the show.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    ya saw this on reading 2007 website. Wish i was there!
    gabers wrote:
    Since when did J Mascis go from a dark haired slacker rock god to a Munster that plays guitar? I hardly recognized him at the show.
    J has had grey hair for years and years.

As mentioned they did not play much from where ya been, hand it over, etc because the orginal members were not in the band at that point.

I was on the front row for a J Mascis solo show and the guy next to me yelled to J that he could not hear the vocals and J should turn them up. In his true slacker fashion he said don't worry i can't hear them either. Smiled and just started ripping into the next song.

J has played with low vocals for a long time.

The cover of the boy with the thorn in his side is VERY cool and Martin & me is areally good disc :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    gabers wrote:
    J has had grey hair for years and years.

As mentioned they did not play much from where ya been, hand it over, etc because the orginal members were not in the band at that point.

I was on the front row for a J Mascis solo show and the guy next to me yelled to J that he could not hear the vocals and J should turn them up. In his true slacker fashion he said don't worry i can't hear them either. Smiled and just started ripping into the next song.

J has played with low vocals for a long time.

The cover of the boy with the thorn in his side is VERY cool and Martin & me is areally good disc :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    here's a better video of the same song from a different show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opGVdOIeuUQ

and better crowd too
    This is from their DVD. If you a a dino fan and don't own this shame on you it is fucking awesome go get it :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The live DVD kicks crazy amounts of ass. I just got it a couple of weeks ago and I was blown away. I saw Dino on the Hand it Over tour, but I had never seen or even heard much of the original lineup live. They rock so damn hard. Murph kills on the drums. And of course, J is a total guitar god throughout the DVD.