Bono and Mary J Blige

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
edited July 2006 in Other Music
So I was just in my car, flipping thru the radio stations. I click on 98.5, as Aerosmith's Crazy was on. It takes me back to high school. Some good memories there. Deejay comes on says "Bono and Mary J Blige". I'm intrigued. The familiar chords of One start to play, but a bit funkier. Bono starts singing with a more impassioned voice than usual. You hear Mary humming along. Bono introduces her and then... Heaven opens up and proclaims its Glory. All is right with Humanity and the Universe. Then she stops singing. I pull onto my road, listen to two minutes of talk radio, without really hearing whatever they are talking about. I remain, at this moment, buzzing with good feelings. Tomorrow morning, I will wake up, get on the train, read the newspaper, and hate the world all over again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• beautiful song with mary singing it. i saw the live performance...might have been the grammy's?...still get chills thinking about it. beautiful thing.
  • Her performance with them at the Grammys was very inspiring. I can't listen to U2 much these days, but that is a great version of that song.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Her performance with them at the Grammys was very inspiring. I can't listen to U2 much these days, but that is a great version of that song.

beautiful song with mary singing it. i saw the live performance...might have been the grammy's?...still get chills thinking about it. beautiful thing.

funniest thread I've seen all day, the fact that they ruined the last great U2 song so easily demands props. But the satirical edge you bring is awesome, well played
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • original U2 version is great obviously, but i like mary j. blige...put them together and i think it sounds fantastic.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I think the U2/Blige version is brilliant.

#1...the song is timeless in itself. The music, the message, the emotion...probably their best song. Ever.

#2...no shame in putting a new and quality spin on things. Soulful and passionate and perfect for today's world and musical climate.

Good stuff. And the lady can sing.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • its a classic song but this version is even better.....it becomes such a soulful song.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    finally...

a couple of months ago someone posted a thread here about how they disliked it.

i really enjoy this version.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    satirical edge
    He plays guitar on the song.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Im a huge U2 fan, love all the albums and such but.....dont dig this version of one of my favorite songs...no siree
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.