I am blown so far away by Cat Power I don't know how to get back

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
edited August 2006 in Other Music
http://www.myspace.com/catpower

Someone told me to listen to her 21 months ago. Yeah, I'm a bit slow on following thru on recommendations. Anyway, I was told she sings with Ed so I was of course very interested, but I was simply preoccupied with listening to my favorite 25 albums over and over again. But a few weeks ago I found her on MySpace and so I dove in for the experience. The only thing I can say is she is sooooooo (no word to describe). I still have to find the song she sang with Ed. That'll come sooner than 21 months. Much sooner.

Well that's my story. Now here's my recommendation. When you are ready for it, experience Cat Power.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I only have her latest...aptly titled "The Greatest"....but she certainly is something special.

I have no idea if she's ever sung anything with Ed, I just know that her voice is like molasses...

Except for the fact that it doesn't make me want to hurl. I don't like molasses, but I like Cat Power.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i like cat power... i don't listen enough but i have you are free.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    dharma69 wrote:
    I only have her latest...aptly titled "The Greatest"....but she certainly is something special.

I have no idea if she's ever sung anything with Ed, I just know that her voice is like molasses...

Except for the fact that it doesn't make me want to hurl. I don't like molasses, but I like Cat Power.

Get her previous album 'You are free'. Ed signs with her on Good Woman. Both are great albums.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    That is awesome, Kenny. That is what music should do to people. I have yet to really get into Cat Power. I will give her a better listen now. I like what I've heard, but she deserves more attention :)
  • *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    pearlwax wrote:
    Get her previous album 'You are free'. Ed signs with her on Good Woman. Both are great albums.

as well as Evolution.
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    You Are Free is an amazing album, but not as good as her Moon Pix album. I've also got The Greastest, The Covers Record (awesome versions of "Can't Get No Satisfaction" and "Moonshiner") and Myra Lee. Cat Power is pretty mesmerizing. I too fell into a trance the first time I heard her.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I've been a huge fan of Chan's for a few years now and had the wonderful privilage of seeing her play with the Memphis Rhythm Band at the Showbox here in Seattle a couple months ago.
    Completely mindblowing!!
    She did all of the songs off from The Greatest and a couple of solo tunes on piano. Theres all these rumours that she is deathly afraid of performing live, but she seemed totally relaxed and like she was having a lot of fun. The band is incredible and is such a compliment to her voice and style... Gah, her voice... is just unbelievable. So raw and passionate. I'd give anything to have her voice :o
    She's an amazing songwriter and would love to see The Greatest acknowledged at the Grammy's. She's one of those overlooked musicians, like Jeff Buckley was, that is far and beyond better than the mediocre mainstream artists out there.
    Forget Britney Spears... Chan Marshall should be every tween's idol. :D
  • Meine liebeMeine liebe Posts: 203
    one of the songs on You Are Free that ed appears on .....i dont know how to say it exactly but ...just from listening to it you get the feeling that Ed and her are about to enter the heavy petting stage any second. I mean the song is just that sexy.

i saw her live and solo with my gf (who is a big fan) at a small club here in memphis. not bad, good voice, good songs, but you have to be in the mood to listen to her music to enjoy it. otherwise you will get bored. at least her solo shows that is, im sure its very different when she has a full band.
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
  • romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    I'm listening to "you are free" right now... A friend told me i'd probably like it, so I just went to soulseek and found this album, wich I must say, is great, except for the song "free", don't like that one at all..... anyway, I was listening to "Good Woman" and I thought , that backup voice sounds familiar.... Googled Cat Power + Eddie Vedder and was shocked to see it was actually him...
    Still have to listen to "Evolution", I'm not there yet.

So, I guess I'll be buying that cd anytime soon, it's really good.

EDIT: Holy Crap I'm listening to Evolution.... wow.
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • HoonHoon Posts: 175
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    http://www.myspace.com/catpower

Someone told me to listen to her 21 months ago. Yeah, I'm a bit slow on following thru on recommendations. Anyway, I was told she sings with Ed so I was of course very interested, but I was simply preoccupied with listening to my favorite 25 albums over and over again. But a few weeks ago I found her on MySpace and so I dove in for the experience. The only thing I can say is she is sooooooo (no word to describe). I still have to find the song she sang with Ed. That'll come sooner than 21 months. Much sooner.

Well that's my story. Now here's my recommendation. When you are ready for it, experience Cat Power.

Whew heww!

Just got back from seeing Cat Power at Neumos. Tonight she is playing two shows solo. Guitar and Piano. I saw the first show.

Her performance was full of good tension as she tuned her guitar While playing her songs in the beginning. She played "Good Woman" from her album "You Are Free".....one of the songs Ed quietly backs on vocals. Also her cover of the Stones "satisfaction" ....found on " The Covers Record" and she ended with one of my favs "Names" .............very emotional!

At the beginning she asked if we would all like to sit down and be more comfortable, and we did. Told little jokes, kept complementing a 15y old girls music CD that she recieved that was in the audience. Also said she was excited about Bob Dylans new album.

She was rushed to wrap things up by the time limit on the all ages show #1 (9pm?). As she signed a few things for some fellas she freestyled soulfully into the mic and ended it by making a heart with her hands that was beating love.

It was a Very loose performance, like a friend in your living room. Perfect!

I just wish she played my fav song "Evolution".....

Evolution

Better call the ships
    They've been caught sailing
    Better call the captain
    He's been caught stealing
    Better call the porter man
    He's been caught leaving
    Better call all the guys on the deck
    They've been caught with no feeling
    Better call the fisherman
    'Cause they're coming on land
    Better call the head nurse
    Wrap us up, to throw us in the dark
    Better call with some resistance
    Better way to feel no shame
    Better call with some persistence
    That way you feel nothing at all
    Better call on evolution
    Better way to make a revolution
    Better make your mind up quick
    Better make your mind up quick

http://www.matadorrecords.com/cat_power/

thanx 8O)
    If you keep yourself as the final arbiter you will be less susceptible to infection from cultural illusion.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Hoon wrote:
    Whew heww!

Just got back from seeing Cat Power at Neumos. Tonight she is playing two shows solo. Guitar and Piano. I saw the first show.

TOUR:

SEPTEMBER

I think you posted the tour dates for Brightblack Morning Light (who are listed on the page above Cat Power). Cat Powers dates are here:

AUGUST
    All solo unless otherwise noted
    monday 28
    Seattle, WA
    Neumos (early show) (solo)

monday 28
    Seattle, WA
    Neumos (late show) (solo)

tuesday 29
    San Francisco, CA
    Great American Music Hall (early show) (solo)

tuesday 29
    San Francisco, CA
    Great American Music Hall (early show) (solo)

thurday 31
    San Diego, CA
    Brick By Brick (early show) (solo)

thurday 31
    San Diego, CA
    Brick By Brick (late show) (solo)

SEPTEMBER

All with Memphis Rhythm Band unless otherwise noted
    friday 1
    Boulder, CO
    Boulder Theater (solo)

saturday 2
    Minneapolis, MN
    Varsity Theater (early show) (solo)

saturday 2
    Minneapolis, MN
    Varsity Theater (late show) (solo)

monday 4
    Toronto, ON
    Lee's Palace (early show) (solo)

monday 4
    Toronto, ON
    Lee's Palace (late show) (solo)

tuesday 5
    Boston, MA
    Museum of Fine Arts Boston (early show) (solo)

tuesday 5
    Boston, MA
    Museum of Fine Arts Boston (late show) (solo)

sunday 10
    New York, NY
    Irving Plaza (early show) (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

sunday 10
    New York, NY
    Irving Plaza (late show) (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

tuesday 12
    Atlanta, GA
    Variety Playhouse (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

wednesday 13
    Chicago, IL
    Vic Theatre (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

friday 15
    Austin, TX
    Austin City Limits Festival (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

saturday 16
    Dallas, TX
    Gypsy Ballroom (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

sunday 17
    Austin, TX
    Stubb's BBQ (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

wednesday 20
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Venustiano Carranza 25 (solo)

NOVEMBER

All with Memphis Rhythm Band unless otherwise noted
    wednesday 1
    London, UK
    Roundhouse (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

friday 3
    Amsterdam, NL
    Paradiso (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

saturday 4
    Brussels, BE
    Ancienne Belgique (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

sunday 5
    Paris, FR
    Grand Rex (with Memphis Rhythm Band)

thursday 9
    New York, NY
    Avery Fisher Hall (solo)
    Bob Dylan Tribute with Patti Smith, and Phillip Glass
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,207
    Her voice is so beautiful. And it sounds like the live shows are getting better? God I hope so. A few years ago my friend saw her and Chan told them to sit down on the ground in this GA venue, with cigarette butts everywhere and spilled beer. Gross. For lack of a better term she also 'freaked out' a lot on stage that night. I swore never to waste my money on seeing her, but maybe if she's getting better . . .
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • HoonHoon Posts: 175
    VictoryGin wrote:
    Her voice is so beautiful. And it sounds like the live shows are getting better? God I hope so. A few years ago my friend saw her and Chan told them to sit down on the ground in this GA venue, with cigarette butts everywhere and spilled beer. Gross. For lack of a better term she also 'freaked out' a lot on stage that night. I swore never to waste my money on seeing her, but maybe if she's getting better . . .

It was a very loose show as I said, I could see how many could be either lovin' it or dissapointed. What she played is not what is on the albums. If you hear the way she covers peoples songs on her cover album, thats also how she "covers" her own songs. I'm into what she is doin'.

The floor was pretty clean for us, the drinking was upstairs and we have an indoor public smokin' ban. If she likes a sitting type atmosphere she should put in some GA seating in the front to "cool off that area" I guess.

Her DVD sounds interesting. Speak for Trees. Some of it is on youtube for anyone interested in a preview.

Newest site: http://www.catpowerthegreatest.com/
    If you keep yourself as the final arbiter you will be less susceptible to infection from cultural illusion.
  • you are free is easily her best
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • I love her, "The Greatest" is such an amazing record I love it so much!!! she have one of the mos beautiful voices I've ever heard, listen to the greatest, the song, is so beautiful and living proof of the same record is amazing!!

Thanks!! I have to download those songs with eddie, they most be awesome!!

wednesday 20
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Venustiano Carranza 25 (solo)

She is coming to Mexico in September 20!!!!! I can't believe it, my cousin bought me some WWE tickets for September 20!!! No!!!!! What should I do!!! I like wrestling lol. but I love Cat Power, nooooooooooooooo!!! it sucks!!! :(
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    she's amazing...i just love her!!! such a great voice. but something that i definitely have to be in the mood to listen to. lovely though :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.