My Morning Jacket

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I haven't seen a thread on this in awhile (I've been around in awhile either...) so let's talk about how good they are. :D

To begin, Jim James. The dude sings, and his voice is very intense and yet totally cool at the same time. Furthermore, according to Wikipedia, he "cites the Muppet Show as one of his biggest musical influences."

I think with any band, the singer is the most important element, unless maybe it's a guitar driven band. But if you sing, you gotta have that passion, and know how to meld it with music. You can hear Jim James' influences (Neil Young, John Lennon...) but it's still his own soul... and I'm sure his soul gravitated towards those musicians, as did mine.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and I gotta buy Bonnaroo tickets...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    GOT THEM! (and now we do the dance of joy)
  • Probably my second favourite band, right next to PJ.:D No matter what kind of sour mood I'm on, listening to The Way That He Sings on Okonokos can put a smile on my face. And then the masterpiece that is Steam Engine...

I'm jealous that you're getting see them at Bonnaroo... They'd better hit Ireland on this Evil Urges tour.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • MMJ are fantastic.

I am not a huge fan of their first album...The Tennessee Fire, but everything after that is pretty phenomenal.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • been listening to 'a quick one' all morning.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    yeah MMJ rocks.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • i hope they come to vancouver soon. i would love to see them headlining a show of their own
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Awesome man...I'd be seeing you there if I hadn't gone to Lolla last year :P

I gotta give MMJ another chance I guess. I saw them at Lolla as well, and I wasn't feeling it...but many people here said that was not a good night for them.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Probably my second favourite band, right next to PJ.:D No matter what kind of sour mood I'm on, listening to The Way That He Sings on Okonokos can put a smile on my face. And then the masterpiece that is Steam Engine...

I'm jealous that you're getting see them at Bonnaroo... They'd better hit Ireland on this Evil Urges tour.:p

holy shit, i totally agree, that song warms my heart everytime.

pearl jam
    my morning jacket
    the who

three greatest bands ever.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • absolutely one of the coolest bands in the world!
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I haven't seen a thread on this in awhile (I've been around in awhile either...) so let's talk about how good they are. :D

To begin, Jim James. The dude sings, and his voice is very intense and yet totally cool at the same time. Furthermore, according to Wikipedia, he "cites the Muppet Show as one of his biggest musical influences."

I think with any band, the singer is the most important element, unless maybe it's a guitar driven band. But if you sing, you gotta have that passion, and know how to meld it with music. You can hear Jim James' influences (Neil Young, John Lennon...) but it's still his own soul... and I'm sure his soul gravitated towards those musicians, as did mine.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and I gotta buy Bonnaroo tickets...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    Can't wait for the Radio City album release show!
  • No matter what kind of sour mood I'm on, listening to The Way That He Sings on Okonokos can put a smile on my face.
    Me too!!! I LOVE that song.
  • Absolutely amazing band. I was blown away when I saw them two years ago, hopefully I'll be able to see them again some day. Okonokos is probably the best music DVD I've ever seen as well.
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
  • I cannot wait for Bonnaroo now... they're soo ooooo good!
    If I could, think I would give in.