new Rush song dissapointing

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
edited March 2007 in Other Music
EDIT 03/25/07: The song has grown on me more than I thought it would... read my new post on Page 2.

It was just released yesterday at http://www.rush.com

I was hoping for something more original, and also for Alex Lifeson to let loose, but basically it's a continuation of Test For Echo and Vapor Trails, which I doubt any Rush fan would consider the zenith of their career (that zenith seems to have passed in the late 70s/early 80s). I did grow to enjoy those last two albums, particularly Vapor Trails, but I was hearing things like 'a return to Hemispheres' and such, and this ain't even worthy of Grace Under Pressure.

OK... there's many tracks left to hear... so we shall see.

The 2nd time I listened to this new song, the main bass line stood out more. But NOTHING ELSE STANDS OUT.

Given that the title is "Far Cry" there are a lot of very easy jokes I could make.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kenny Olav wrote:
    It was just released yesterday at http://www.rush.com

I was hoping for something more original, and also for Alex Lifeson to let loose, but basically it's a continuation of Test For Echo and Vapor Trails, which I doubt any Rush fan would consider the zenith of their career (that zenith seems to have passed in the late 70s/early 80s). I did grow to enjoy those last two albums, particularly Vapor Trails, but I was hearing things like 'a return to Hemispheres' and such, and this ain't even worthy of Grace Under Pressure.

OK... there's many tracks left to hear... so we shall see.

The 2nd time I listened to this new song, the main bass line stood out more. But NOTHING ELSE STANDS OUT.

Given that the title is "Far Cry" there are a lot of very easy jokes I could make.

i think the song is pretty cool, especially in the begining with the cool main riff, but the chorus is a little lame. it's like, the song builds up and sounds pretty alternative, but then it's like..lalala, open hi-hat, closed hi-hat..but i don't know, i can dig it.

i'm curious to hear the rest of the album. i can't wait for the tour, either. i'm a HUGE neil peart fan.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    i think the song is pretty cool, especially in the begining with the cool main riff, but the chorus is a little lame. it's like, the song builds up and sounds pretty alternative, but then it's like..lalala, open hi-hat, closed hi-hat..but i don't know, i can dig it.

i'm curious to hear the rest of the album. i can't wait for the tour, either. i'm a HUGE neil peart fan.

oh i am definately psyched for the tour. i've only seen them once before (in '02) and it was a genius performance.

the new tune... it ain't bad... it just ain't anything special. One Little Victory was a better lead single.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    disappointing? this song sounds fantastic. like a combination of vapor trails and counterparts. can't wait for the album or the tour.

to say rush's zenith was in the late 70's/early 80's is wrong. that dismisses hold your fire, presto, roll the bones, power windows and counterparts as weak albums, which they most certainly are not. test for echo is possibly one of their weaker albums but the strain of constant recording and touring was showing at that point. their enforced lay-off was probably the best thing that could have happened for the group at that point as it made the re-evaluate. vapor trails is one of their strongest albums imo and they are a group that never stands still or looks backwards.
    Arctangent wrote:
    disappointing? this song sounds fantastic. like a combination of vapor trails and counterparts. can't wait for the album or the tour.

to say rush's zenith was in the late 70's/early 80's is wrong. that dismisses hold your fire, presto, roll the bones, power windows and counterparts as weak albums, which they most certainly are not. test for echo is possibly one of their weaker albums but the strain of constant recording and touring was showing at that point. their enforced lay-off was probably the best thing that could have happened for the group at that point as it made the re-evaluate. vapor trails is one of their strongest albums imo and they are a group that never stands still or looks backwards.

i didn't mean to imply that those are weak albums. i don't think they have a weak album... (well, uh, except for Presto)... I think Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Counterparts are excellent. but for me, their best albums are 2112 up to Moving Pictures... that shit is awesome.

you say this new song sounds like counterparts mixed with vapor trails... well i like those albums, but i don't want to hear them again!!! i want Rush to kick my ass again.
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    not my favourite rush song, but i'll hold off further judgement until i hear it as part of the new album.
    OK, so the new song has grown on me a lot. After about 15 listens I can confidently say it does indeed jam. I bought the mp3 from iTunes after about 6 or 7 listens. Something about the melody and the flow of the chord progression made me want to keep coming back to it. Plus, who can't relate to the lyric "It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit"? And now that I understand the full anatomy of the song, I can tell that a blistering Lerxt solo would overpower rather than accentuate. Besides, I hear the new album has THREE instrumentals, so there's plenty of room for Alex Lifeson to show us what he's made of, not to forget Geddy Lee and The Professor!!

Did I rush to judgement? (*groans at own pun*). Yes.
  • gummogummo Posts: 14
    I've been pretty much disappointed by everything Rush has put out since Signals, with the exception of Feedback.