8 years ago tonight - the night Woodstock '99 went to hell

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
edited July 2007 in Other Music
[Version 2.0]

This thread is dedicated to everyone who had the misfortune of witnessing firsthand what was became a horrid antithesis of a counterculture movement. Allow me to ruminate on what made it so awful... Was it just the heat? Or was it the outrageous prices for food and water, the bizarre assortment of musicians that ranged from Sheryl Crow to Creed to the Insane Clown Posse, the unsanitary conditions, the lines for showers so long it was impossible to get clean without wasting your day away, the destruction of private property, the rapes? Surprisingly, there were no murders.

The air field (or army base?) that the festival was held on was HUGE... it seemed to take forever to get back to one's campsite, or to walk from one stage to another. Fortunately, my tent was on a hill and didn't get sucked into the flood of mud/human waste.

And shit, I left early the next morning (Sunday the 25th) and only heard about the next night when things got worse. Two nights was all I could take (it was actually three if you count Thurs night). I'm glad my friend and I had the good sense to get the fuck out of there. Actually, we had no choice because we couldn't afford anymore food.

Pretty much everyone there was in a pissy mood - you couldn't help it. I smoked a good deal of weed that weekend and I was still pissed off. The best part (and pretty much only good part) of the event was Rage Against the Machine followed by Metallica on Saturday night. The anger in the music fit the mood perfectly. However, it should have been anger directed at the larger society outside of the festival, but instead was felt towards the fuckers who put the gig together.

HOW THE FUCK do you have the Tragically Hip (another rare highlight) followed by Kid Rock???

I tried to get into Limp Bizkit just to release some anger, but once I realized other people were releasing their anger by going apeshit, I realized that I am at least a higher order of monkey and watched calmly as my fellow monkeys tore shit up, set it on fire and then beat the shit out of each other. Monkey King Fred Durst encouraged his monklings' behavior by demanding that a thick slice of wood ripped from the speaker tower be used as his platform to ride over the monkling crowd, uncaring if the sharp corners of the plywood might gouge out an eye or two. Unfortunately, none of the rapist apes seemed to get hurt in the process.

Fuck, what an awful time. Is it too late to file a class action suit to get our money back?

Anyone else who was there care to share? Group counseling is in order, is it not?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    This thread is for those unfortunate souls who attended this horrid antithesis of a counterculture movement. Let's ruminate on what made it so awful... Was it just the heat? Or was it outrageous prices for food and water, a bizarre assortment of musicians that ranged from Sheryl Crow to the Insane Clown Posse, unsanitary conditions, lines for showers so long that made it impossible to get clean without wasting your day away, destruction of private property, theft and rape? Surprisingly, there were no murders.

The air field (army base?) that the festival was held on was HUGE... it seemed to take forever to get back to one's campsite, or to walk from one stage to another. Fortunately, my tent was on a hill and didn't get sucked into the flood of mud/human waste.

And shit, I left early the next morning (Sunday the 25th) and only heard about the next night when things got worse. Two nights was all I could take (it was actually three if you count Thurs night). I'm glad my friend and I had the good sense to get the fuck out of there. Actually, we were simply broke because we couldn't afford anymore food.

Pretty much everyone there was in a pissy mood - you couldn't help it. I smoked a good deal of weed that weekend and I was still pissed off. The best part (and pretty much only good part) of the festival was Rage Against the Machine followed by Metallica on Saturday night. The anger in the music fit the mood perfectly. However, it should have been anger directed at the larger society outside of the festival, but instead was felt towards the fuckers who put the gig together.

What the fuck were Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock even doing there? HOW THE FUCK do you have Tragically Hip (another highlight) followed by Kid Rock??? How it is that Bush was the headliner on Friday???

Gawdamn, what an awful time.

Unfortunately, I don't have any really good stories, but I'm sure some of you out there do, and I'd love to hear them.

I almost went to it. So glad I didn't, such a sad ending.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I've done my best to try to forget the whole event ever happened. Never have I been more miserable in my life, and never have I had more buyer's remorse. What should've been a camp-like experience turned into a $1000 wasted, and I've always felt dumber because of it.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Yeah, I remember the National Guard coming in as we were coming out of the end of the RHCP playing Hendrix's 'Fire'...when speaker towers were on fire, as people were looting the ATMs, and vendor trucks (tents, sleeping bags, kegs, glow sticks). As we were getting gas in Rome on our way out the gas station kid told us the Stones were supposed to close out the show and they wouldn't go on stage...ah, the memories that maybe could have been...
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!