New Patti Smith

hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Just got the email that the new Patti Smith album, "Twelve," is in stores today. Gonna pick up a copy on the way home .... anyone heard it yet?
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Isn't this a collection of covers? I've heard "Gimmie Shelter" on Sirius quite a bit. It's pretty good. :)
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    cutback wrote:
    Isn't this a collection of covers? I've heard "Gimmie Shelter" on Sirius quite a bit. It's pretty good. :)
    Yup, that's the one! I haven't heard any of it, but I'm always excited when she puts out something new.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    It's excellent. She somehow managed to redefine some classic songs.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    a good interview here where she talks about it. I plan on picking it up.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/42536-patti-smith-talks-new-lp-rock-hall-inspiration
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    transplant wrote:
    a good interview here where she talks about it. I plan on picking it up.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/42536-patti-smith-talks-new-lp-rock-hall-inspiration
    That was a really good interview, thanks for posting :)
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Just picked it up at Target. I was unaware when I went in, but Target's version has an extra track- Everybody Hurts.

Apparently there is also a limited 7" when you buy it at certain stores that has covers of Lou Reed's 'Perfect Day' and The Decemberists' 'Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect'.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    hippiemom wrote:
    Just got the email that the new Patti Smith album, "Twelve," is in stores today. Gonna pick up a copy on the way home .... anyone heard it yet?

I haven't heard it yet but I want to go get it.

I was so impressed by her at that awards ceremony. Just hearing her talk was fairly wonderful. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    AndySlash wrote:
    Just picked it up at Target. I was unaware when I went in, but Target's version has an extra track- Everybody Hurts.

Apparently there is also a limited 7" when you buy it at certain stores that has covers of Lou Reed's 'Perfect Day' and The Decemberists' 'Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect'.

Hey! Thanks for that tidbit. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I went to her show at Bowery Ballroom last night -- she played most of the covers from her new release. Her cover of Soul Kitchen was great, White Rabbit, too. But I have to say I wasn't into her version of Smells Like Teen Spirit.
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    I heard the 30-second iTunes clip of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and it was awful.
  • Clifwith1f wrote:
    I heard the 30-second iTunes clip of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and it was awful.

I couldn't stand the hellos or the yeah...
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Listening to the Helpless cover right now. Great arrangement, very fragile.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball