Neil Young Toronto Massey Hall Shows

Green Di$ea$eGreen Di$ea$e Posts: 158
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I figured the shows would sell out, but didn't realize it would be instantly like it was this morning, managed to get tickets to Tues/Thursday shows.

Happy to see Neil and get tickets, but still have an uneasy feeling about paying $200.00 for 1 seat...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I figured the shows would sell out, but didn't realize it would be instantly like it was this morning, managed to get tickets to Tues/Thursday shows.

Happy to see Neil and get tickets, but still have an uneasy feeling about paying $200.00 for 1 seat...

Is that on the stage for that price. I was going to try and get tix then I heard the prices and thought different about it. I don't like sitting at the back of Massy Hall and I sure wasn't going to pay the money just to be in the building. And they didn't announce if Crazy Horse was playing with him. Big decision to see him without the band. Huge!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • tues, seats are gallery row a, thursday balc row e
  • I got a pair in balcony as well...probably last time he will go on tour..hes getting up there in age..so couldnt pass it up.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    snagged a pair for $300. Gallery row C off to the left. Him playing Massey hall had a big influence on me paying that money. Would never pay that price for an ACC show.
  • mikesbri wrote:
    I got a pair in balcony as well...probably last time he will go on tour..hes getting up there in age..so couldnt pass it up.

I highy doubt this will be Neil's last tour...
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    I'll be at the Mon and Thurs show...Mon flr center row 9....Thurs not sure where they are yet..my dad got them.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    $150 per ticket is too much, even for Neil. I've never seen him before, but if the tickets for the Tower shows are going to be anything like the Massey Hall shows, it's going to stay that way.

Why is he charging so much? Come on now.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    I know its pretty insane. No ticket should cost that much, but sadly paying that price is the only way to be able to see some of these fossilized acts. $100 should be the max for any show, unless of course lennon and harrison are resurrected. These high ticket prices just allow for scalpers to cash in big time, i.e. craiglist had a pair of tickets for $700 about an hour after the tickets went on sale. sickening.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    DOSW wrote:
    $150 per ticket is too much, even for Neil. I've never seen him before, but if the tickets for the Tower shows are going to be anything like the Massey Hall shows, it's going to stay that way.

Why is he charging so much? Come on now.

Supply and demand...all 3 Massey Hall shows sold out in no time...ya it does suck that you can't go to 20 concerts during the summer w/o digging deep into your pocket, but I guess that's the nature of the business.

You also have to look at it this way. Many bands use to make a lot of $ form selling their albums (most bands made more from albums than touring), but with all the free downloading bands have to make $ another way.
    WES wrote:
    These high ticket prices just allow for scalpers to cash in big time
    Wouldn't high ticket prices prevent scalping?
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    WES wrote:
    I know its pretty insane. No ticket should cost that much, but sadly paying that price is the only way to be able to see some of these fossilized acts. $100 should be the max for any show, unless of course lennon and harrison are resurrected. These high ticket prices just allow for scalpers to cash in big time, i.e. craiglist had a pair of tickets for $700 about an hour after the tickets went on sale. sickening.

One of the goals of higher ticket prices is to make it less likely that a scalper can "cash-in".

No matter what the face value is, the secondary market will only bear the true market value, so higher ticket prices just mean that the band makes additional profit, and the scalper makes less.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Supply and demand...all 3 Massey Hall shows sold out in no time...ya it does suck that you can't go to 20 concerts during the summer w/o digging deep into your pocket, but I guess that's the nature of the business.

You also have to look at it this way. Many bands use to make a lot of $ form selling their albums (most bands made more from albums than touring), but with all the free downloading bands have to make $ another way.

Good Point!.....this is why EVERYONE pays the price when people "steal" music online from well established acts.
    Red Lukin wrote:

i think Neil has a comfortable amount of cash to sit on now. I do agree that touring is important for smaller bands to make their money to compensate downloads.

It seems that these older acts are taking advantage of the generation which were into them from the start of their careers. Supply and demand, yes, but wtf over $100/seat. Thats almost as bad as ticketmasters rape charges.

You would think higher prices would deminish scalping but it seems it still going strong even though the high initial cost of tickets. I'm sure Neil could still sell out another 3 shows at massey and people would still be buying from scalpers.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    WES wrote:
    i think Neil has a comfortable amount of cash to sit on now. I do agree that touring is important for smaller bands to make their money to compensate downloads.

It seems that these older acts are taking advantage of the generation which were into them from the start of their careers. Supply and demand, yes, but wtf over $100/seat. Thats almost as bad as ticketmasters rape charges.

You would think higher prices would deminish scalping but it seems it still going strong even though the high initial cost of tickets. I'm sure Neil could still sell out another 3 shows at massey and people would still be buying from scalpers.

I understand what you're saying; it does suck to pay that much for a concert. But most things these days cost $100 anyways. I mean people go downtown to bars, pay $15 cover, plus $7 a drink..it adds up quickly. You wanna go to a Leafs game (assuming you're able to get tix) it's at least $100 per ticket (except purple). People go to plays, theatre etc...those tix aren't cheap either.

Plus with small shows like Massey Hall there isn't much money to be made after paying out the set up crew, paying all the traveling costs, buy new technology etc.

I try to hit small cheaper shows myself. I find a lot of young artists have it in them to put on a great show at the start of their career...plus I love the intimate setting. On the other hand I'm willing to go to a few shows a year and pay a premium. Assume the average person makes $40k/yr...you go to 4 premium concerts a year for $100 (heck maybe a show or two costs $200), percentage wise it's not a huge hit if you love music.

Next time the Drive by Truckers are in town pay the $20 to see them. One of the best shows I saw last year and I didn't walk away asking myself if I got my $ worth.
    ^ well said. The main reason I paid that premium price was because it was a smaller venue, which is rare for a big name artist such as neil.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Red Lukin wrote:

The supply and demand excuse is bullshit. Plenty of bands (including Pearl Jam) could sell as many tickets as they want to but still keep ticket prices reasonable. It's greed. Plain and simple. And a lot of it is attributable to the artist.

The decrease in album revenue is much smaller than the increase in ticket prices.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Neil Young is geared towards an older crowd, people with more money in there pockets and willing to spend it. So they can charge it and people will buy.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • I suppose I can blame Neil for those CSNY ticket prices too :)

Bottom line is he's super rich and yet still decides to charge $200(with s/c)

I understand it's what the market will bear but there are other ways of shutting out the scalpers, or having them make less $, if that is the concern there...

IMHO he should have had a 2 ticket min and made tickets p/u at will call day of the show only...how could he not know the demand was going to be huge for this?

As a longtime loyal fan I'm pissed off I got shut out of seeing these shows.
  • If the purpose of the high prices were to shut out the scalpers, it's not happening...pair of floors are going for a grand on ebay.

I'll be RCB row I for the Tuesday show.
    Canada, says Ament, holds a special place in the band's heart because of its international policies and its decision to stay out of the war in Iraq.

25 May 2005
    The Canadian Press
    if anything scalping has increased with things like ebay and craigslist. The older crowd that can afford these ticket prices can also afford scalper prices.

edit, here is one for ya.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-NEIL-YOUNG-FLOOR-TICKETS-TORONTO-MASSEY-HALL-11-26_W0QQitemZ190154088960QQihZ009QQcategoryZ16122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    augustwest wrote:
    I suppose I can blame Neil for those CSNY ticket prices too :)

Bottom line is he's super rich and yet still decides to charge $200(with s/c)

I understand it's what the market will bear but there are other ways of shutting out the scalpers, or having them make less $, if that is the concern there...

IMHO he should have had a 2 ticket min and made tickets p/u at will call day of the show only...how could he not know the demand was going to be huge for this?

As a longtime loyal fan I'm pissed off I got shut out of seeing these shows.

I know eh...about CSNY...and he said that it still "cost" him to play a tour with CSN. I've seen Stills solo and it was $32 and I'm sure CSN is fairly cheap too.

You got shut out of all three??? Maybe some will come up thru Massey Halls site?
    Stills doesnt nearly enough of the credit he deserves. Stuck behind that huge shadow neil seams to cast.