In between bands

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited October 2007 in Other Music
There are bands like PJ, Tool, Radiohead that can do their own thing, and still get alotta success, on the road or albums sales.

Then there is the opposite end of the spectrum. Nickelback, MCR, A7X that, it would seem, completely ignore their internal instincts and try to make songwriting a formula.

I would say bands like Velvet Revolver, RHCP, Coldplay are kinda in the middle ground. They make sure to get their hooks in, but their music still has its own character.

Where would you place these bands, or other bands, for that matter?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    All I have to say is Nickelback is one of the worst bands of all time. Right up there with Bizkit and the other nu metal bands of the late 90s
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    If it wasn't for the Tragically Hip and Rush, I would say we should bomb Canada for their horrible bands like Nickelback, the Barenaked Ladies, Theory of a Dead Man, etc.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • It's sad though cause RHCP used to be really, really good.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    If it wasn't for the Tragically Hip and Rush, I would say we should bomb Canada for their horrible bands like Nickelback, the Barenaked Ladies, Theory of a Dead Man, etc.

oh no....here we go again (doing my best to bite my tongue)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    yes im ashamed that nickelback are from canada... but look at all the crap bands from america...
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    It's sad though cause RHCP used to be really, really good.

They are still a really good band. Easily the best band that gets coverage. BTW has great songs besides the singles, and SA could cut off a few tracks. Maybe just enough to get it down to one disc.

Universally Speaking
    Dosed
    Don't Forget Me
    I Could Die For You
    Tear
    Out of Range
    Slow Cheetah
    Torture Me
    Especially In Michigan
    Wet Sand
    Desecration Smile
    Hard To Concentrate
    She Looks To Me
    Readymade
    If
    Animal Bar
    Turn It Again
    Death of A Martian

To anybody that judges RHCP by the singles, listen to these songs from the last 2 albums. They quit releasing the best songs on the albums as singles. BSSM has grown on me more recently, but I had to get into the newer stuff before I really cared about much off of it.

I Could Have Lied rules. As does Greeting Song.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Black Ox Orkestar
    Esmerine
    Et Sans
    Exhaust
    Fly Pan Am
    Fifths of Seven
    Hrsta
    Set Fire to Flames
    Shalabi Effect
    A Silver Mt. Zion
    Valley of the Giants

try any of those bands.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • If it wasn't for the Tragically Hip and Rush, I would say we should bomb Canada for their horrible bands like Nickelback, the Barenaked Ladies, Theory of a Dead Man, etc.

Please don't forget you will hurt Neil Young if you bomb Canada...

Please:(
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • If it wasn't for the Tragically Hip and Rush, I would say we should bomb Canada for their horrible bands like Nickelback, the Barenaked Ladies, Theory of a Dead Man, etc.

yeah, that neil young guy is a total wash-up...and matthew good...that guy is terrible...wintersleep is a bore...great lake swimmers are lo-fi versions of shit...i just cannot deal with shitty canadian music.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    matthew good is amazing, both his solo effort and stuff with his former band
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • orly?