The results of the experiment are in.(Radiohead)

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited October 2007 in Other Music
http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/radiohead_make_10_million_from_in_rainbows.html

Holy fuck.

I realize Radiohead popular, but does anyone else think this would make it possible for alot more people to make a living off of music.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/radiohead_make_10_million_from_in_rainbows.html

Holy fuck.

I realize Radiohead popular, but does anyone else think this would make it possible for alot more people to make a living off of music.
    it does mention that this figure was multiplied up from a poll of 3000 people so who knows how accurate it is? but still, if the figure is anywhere in that ball park, that's incredible and they are pretty much marketing geniuses. the only problem is that the idea is out there for everyone now.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    it does mention that this figure was multiplied up from a poll of 3000 people so who knows how accurate it is? but still, if the figure is anywhere in that ball park, that's incredible and they are pretty much marketing geniuses. the only problem is that the idea is out there for everyone now.

So? It's a win-win situation : we pay our albums half the price (or what we deem they're worth which is even better) and the artists earn more money because they have less middle-men. What is the problem with that?
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Yeah, now that they seen that it works pretty good, they can set a super low price.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Kann wrote:
    So? It's a win-win situation : we pay our albums half the price (or what we deem they're worth which is even better) and the artists earn more money because they have less middle-men. What is the problem with that?
    I mean it's a problem for Radiohead :) as it stands at the moment, they can make so much more money by cutting out the record label middle man, just from selling the same amount of records as another band who rely on distribution by a label. after this though, a lot more bands will use the same idea and it won't be so revolutionary.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • So this isn't Radiohead actually coming out and reporting how much they've made? When will that happen? Thats when we'll know how successful this truely was. The few people I know that listen to radiohead paid $0 for the download, but paid close to $80 for the discbox.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Another thing............. Will it be possible for them to foot the bill for cd production, or will a 3rd party have to get involved? I mean, how do you order a few million cds.

I wonder how much different albums will look w/o all the record co. bullshit printed on em.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I mean it's a problem for Radiohead :) as it stands at the moment, they can make so much more money by cutting out the record label middle man, just from selling the same amount of records as another band who rely on distribution by a label. after this though, a lot more bands will use the same idea and it won't be so revolutionary.

That's a bit like saying the telephone isn't revolutionary anymore after - who was it - Alexander Graham Bell(?) invented it. Everyone uses telephones now; doesn't mean Bell wasn't a pioneer. Radiohead will always be pioneers of this scheme.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Wow, give a point to Radiohead.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    great idea from a great band.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Now, if they only didn't sell out on tour in 30 seconds I would be a happy camper.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Seeing as how they came to the number, I don't think it can be all that accurate. It would be great if it was. I also think there are a lot of people that went out and downloaded it b/c they could. It's something completly different. If it was the norm, I don't think the numbers would have been near as high.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Kann wrote:

But the thing is bands still need some decent cash to record their albums so it will only be bands in the unique position like radiohead who can do this (Rich, popular band with no label) It doesn't mean every band is going to be able to do this.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • The thing about it is nearly every band with national or global recognition could not be in their position with out initial support from a record label.
    It's not like every unsigned band out there can go and do this and make money.

It's a very cool idea and it seems to have worked for them but I don't think there's gonna be a huge change in the way the industry works.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Poll after poll has shown that most people feel cd's are overpriced. This just shows that if something is priced correctly or people can pay what they feel is fair, you sell much more. I'm not surprised. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Now here's the rub...

even more groups will now be coming out of the cracks to regulate the internet.

They're going to try to continue to scare us with the internet hacker fear that's been so popular lately.
    the Minions