John Frusciante solo

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Umm, I caught a Chili Peppers show a while back, and John played a song, "How Can I Tell You That I Love You" seemed to be the name. Does anybody know where I can find a decent copy of him performin this song.

Also, does he have a more digestible solo album. All the ones I have heard seem to be kinda out there, or is that just his style.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I actually prefer his solo stuff to anything the Peppers have done. He's a much better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis. I'd start with Shadows Collide with People or The Will to Death. I haven't been able to listen to all of his albums though.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    boroff89 wrote:
    He's a much better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis.
    and singer (more recently. his first two albums were junked up but still occasionally brilliant) and person.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    frusciante should just ditch the peppers and go out on his own. he's a great songwriter, and the chili's best days are well behind them. Shadows Collide With People is a great album, better than anythin the Peppers have released for a LONG time
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Too bad he is atrocious live.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I just realized that the live cover I am looking for is "How Can I Tell You" by Cat Stevens. I have seen a few different vids of him playin the song, and it always seems to be during a RHCP show.
    edved82 wrote:
    frusciante should just ditch the peppers and go out on his own. he's a great songwriter, and the chili's best days are well behind them. Shadows Collide With People is a great album, better than anythin the Peppers have released for a LONG time

I don't think he should ditch the peppers. I think the peppers should ditch Keidis. Imagine if John could combine his extreme pop smarts with his more unpoppy stuff. My friends think I am ridiculous
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I don't think he should ditch the peppers. I think the peppers should ditch Keidis. Imagine if John could combine his extreme pop smarts with his more unpoppy stuff. My friends think I am ridiculous

It would be hard to see the peppers without Kiedis, seeing as he is an original member of the band along with Flea. But definitely there would be a lot of potential there without him - Chad Smith, Flea and Frusciante would be pretty much a dream band in today world!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Too bad he is atrocious live.

What on earth are you talking about? He's definitely had bad shows but hasn't everyone?
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
    I just finished d'ling his entire catalog. Don't worry, I will buy what I like.

Where should I start. I have listened to bits and pieces, but the stuff I have listened to is mostly instrumental. What songs are more towards "normal".

It's easy to see where he gets alotta the sound he uses on Chili Peppers records just from the small sampling I have got so far.
    edved82 wrote:
    It would be hard to see the peppers without Kiedis, seeing as he is an original member of the band along with Flea. But definitely there would be a lot of potential there without him - Chad Smith, Flea and Frusciante would be pretty much a dream band in today world!

True, but when you need to take a dump, do you just carry it around knowin how shitty it really is.

I am one of the few that likes the new Peppers more than the old stuff. Never been into the straight ahead funky stuff they do. I hate that their singles are shoved down our throats, and Anthony Kiedis's lyrics are soso, but imo Frusciante has blossomed into a something of a musical genius, and he is a stanout among outstanding musicians, just for his vision.

BTW, I love the quote. I was gonna use that same quote as my sig, but couldn't remember exactly what Bonzo said, and didnt wanna paraphrase.
  • disconnecteddisconnected Posts: 2,875
    In my opinion John is the person with the most influence on the RHCP since 1998... I believe John is the reason why the RHCP still excists.... Flea already mentioned in 1997/1998 he would stop playing if John didn't came back. Without John, the RHCP better can stop performing. They will not have that succes anymore like the have now...