Chili Peppers?

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Why do people bash them so much? I understand they have turned down the funk and turned up the pop. But its not like their music isn't original. There is nobody that sounds like them. And the only songs that sound similar are the funkier ones. Now they have almost a beatlesish sound. Their last 2 albums are amazing. You can't touch Frusciante's backup vocals.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Now they have almost a beatlesish sound.

That literally hurt my feelings to read.
  • They get bashed because they have found a boring generic sound that they know will sell to the masses and they've stopped trying to develop any further.

With earlier albums (right from the crappy first one up until Californication) they were always mixing it up and trying new things. Although they stayed vaguely within the confines of funk rock, each of their album had a very different and distinct sound and were interesting to listen to.
    With By the Way and more so with Stadium Arcadium they have started writing boring music and the majority of the songs on those two albums sound exactly the same. That's why I bash them, and it pains me to do it, because I used to love them so much.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    they suck !
    they didn't until one hot minute, but after that, they turned bad.
    every song of every album is the same, has the same sound.
    Maybe RHCP would be good with anotehr singer.
    Sorry. I used to love them a lot, but they've dissapointed me so much...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • They get bashed because they have found a boring generic sound that they know will sell to the masses and they've stopped trying to develop any further.

With earlier albums (right from the crappy first one up until Californication) they were always mixing it up and trying new things. Although they stayed vaguely within the confines of funk rock, each of their album had a very different and distinct sound and were interesting to listen to.
    With By the Way and more so with Stadium Arcadium they have started writing boring music and the majority of the songs on those two albums sound exactly the same. That's why I bash them, and it pains me to do it, because I used to love them so much.

Pretty much nailed it there. "Tear" though, from By The Way, is an incredible song.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Dont compare them to the Beatles... i hate the Beatles. :)

The music on By the Way and Stadium Arcadium is awesome, most notabily Frusciante's work, but Anthonys vocal/melody skills let them down.

For example, the guitar riff in Hey Ho, Snow is one of my favorite riffs ever.... then he goes and sings.... hey oh, listen what i say oh.... over it.
    Disappoints me greatly.
  • That literally hurt my feelings to read.

Not that they are even in the Beatles league, but they do the analog, tape manipulation, crazy synth stuff. Kinda old school Floydy/Beatles sound experiments.
  • chris01 wrote:
    Dont compare them to the Beatles... i hate the Beatles. :)

The music on By the Way and Stadium Arcadium is awesome, most notabily Frusciante's work, but Anthonys vocal/melody skills let them down.

For example, the guitar riff in Hey Ho, Snow is one of my favorite riffs ever.... then he goes and sings.... hey oh, listen what i say oh.... over it.
    Disappoints me greatly.

I am definitely on Frusciante's side of the fence. Pretty amazing stuff. I have said that they should just kick Keidis out and Frusciante can sing. His voice is strange. It almost sounds bad, but it sounds so good.
  • this is exactly what i was thinking and kiedis knows it too.

they had a bust up on stage at reading.

now that hes getting older, the looks dont do it anymore and people realised he cant sing very well...

bring on frusciante.

he's awesome, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Q_6I0018c
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    It almost sounds bad, but it sounds so good.

Thats the best description ive ever heard for JF's vocals, lol, its so true.

He's the best high pitched singer around though. (If You Have To Ask/Maybe/I Feel Love).

I heard that they had a bust up and the performance was full of tension. What happened exactly? I didnt see any of it.

P.S..... thats weird that i mention Maybe in my last post and you linked it up there, i was writing that last post before i saw yours lol.

When i got 'Live at Slane' a few years ago i watched this part over and over again.
  • i like this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkE9ZVqEE0o&mode=related&search=

I think kiedis ha gradually been losing it on the by the way/stadium arcadium era.

all the journalists want to speak to john, hes the star in the band now. flea and chad are the type of guys who would be comfortable with that, but i cant see anthony being so, especially as john is basically showing up anthony with his singing slots on the tours. the backup vocals sound better than the leads alot of the time.

at reading, i think it blew up coz anthony was sucking out and john was doing more vocally to cover for him, which he clearly didnt enjoy. watch the bbc sessions.

and whoever made that comment on snow was spot on!
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Why do people bash them so much? I understand they have turned down the funk and turned up the pop. But its not like their music isn't original. There is nobody that sounds like them. And the only songs that sound similar are the funkier ones. Now they have almost a beatlesish sound. Their last 2 albums are amazing. You can't touch Frusciante's backup vocals.

People bash them because their last 2 albums didn't sound exactly like BloodSugarSexMagik. They have become stronger songwriters who have a true gift for melody and all the headbangers and alternative types are close minded when it comes to anything that could be described as poppy. Newsflash - it takes much more talent to write a good catchy pop hook than just create a wall of sound by banging your instruments around.

These same people who claim they've "sold out" or "gone soft" also convienently ignore songs like Readymade, Torture me, and Turn It Again when they bash because these songs don't fit into the stereotype they want to make. Stadium Arcadium has funk, hard rock, almost jazzy tunes, and yes, pop, mixed throughout the album. It really is a testament to the range and talent of the Chili Peppers. It also has some of the best guitar work of any album released in 2006.

The people who say all the songs on Stadium Arcadium all sound the same must seriously be on crack. Readymade sounds the same as Charlie, or Snow, or Warlocks? Seriously? There are a few songs on Stadium Arcadium I find a little boring, and the production is a little bland, but to say all the songs sound the same just removes a person's musical credibilty in my opinion.

The Beatles comparison is right on. It's clear John has been strongly influenced by the Beatles and the Beach Boys in what he does with vocal harmonies. It's just more influences to add to the list that already includes Hendrix, P-Funk, Sly and the Family Stone, the Minutemen, and many others. All these influences are still readily apparent to any listener who is bothering to pay attention.
  • It's not that their music sucks; their music really kicks ass. Even Stadium Arcadium.

The problem is is their physical appearence and they just got way too mainstream!

I used to be a huuuuge Chili Peppers fan. I mean I fricken payed $250 to see them 4th row. Yeah. It was a great concert at the time, but now that I look back at it they played a 19-21 song set, 1 hour 45 minutes, and Anthony didn't even say one fucking thing (besides singing, of course). There was no crowd reaction. I mean and theres just too many people listening to them for the wrong reason. They are not pop, they are not supposed to be these froofy guys adored by depressed chicks and wanna-be guys. I mean I had gotten Stadium Arcadium before anyone else in my school started to listen to them (and I'm 15 now) and people just think they're fans because they have Stadium Arcadium.

Honestly, Stadium Arcadium is an amazing album. It has amazing songs, lyrics (I know AK doesn't have the best voice, but he does write some damn good lyrics), and musically is just amazing.

What I'm trying to say is that I believe AK is the one who's holding the band down. I mean anyone who went to one of their concerts this past tour probably knows what I'm talking about. Literally after they finished the last song of the set, AK ran off the stage. He even fucks the lyrics up! He's just not into it anymore and has lost his, well, "mojo."

Oh and also Stadium Arcadium, despite how good it is, destroyed their career and pre-SA fans. Guarentee anyone who's about 13-16 and say they're a huge Chili Pepper fan only have SA and songs like Scar Tissue, Otherside, Under the Bridge on their iPod. I've seen it before. It just pisses me off. And on a side note, those songs are most of the time not even spelled right. Cracks me up. I've seen Under the Bridge spelled as "Where I Drew Some Blood" and Scar Tissue "With Birds to Share." Cracks me up!
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Why do people bash them so much?

jealous of their popularity

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I understand they have turned down the funk and turned up the pop.

it happens. you can't do the same stuff forever. similar to Metallica turning away from thrash after And Justice for all

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    But its not like their music isn't original. There is nobody that sounds like them.

very true
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    And the only songs that sound similar are the funkier ones.

again, this is similar to Metallica. a lot of their old thrash songs sound alike
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Now they have almost a beatlesish sound.

HAHAHAHAHA what??!?!?!?! you're way off on this one

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Their last 2 albums are amazing.

they're good and fun to listen to...but nowhere near amazing
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    You can't touch Frusciante's backup vocals.

why would I want to touch his backup vocals?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    hendrix78 wrote:
    People bash them because their last 2 albums didn't sound exactly like BloodSugarSexMagik. They have become stronger songwriters who have a true gift for melody and all the headbangers and alternative types are close minded when it comes to anything that could be described as poppy. Newsflash - it takes much more talent to write a good catchy pop hook than just create a wall of sound by banging your instruments around.

These same people who claim they've "sold out" or "gone soft" also convienently ignore songs like Readymade, Torture me, and Turn It Again when they bash because these songs don't fit into the stereotype they want to make. Stadium Arcadium has funk, hard rock, almost jazzy tunes, and yes, pop, mixed throughout the album. It really is a testament to the range and talent of the Chili Peppers. It also has some of the best guitar work of any album released in 2006.

The people who say all the songs on Stadium Arcadium all sound the same must seriously be on crack. Readymade sounds the same as Charlie, or Snow, or Warlocks? Seriously? There are a few songs on Stadium Arcadium I find a little boring, and the production is a little bland, but to say all the songs sound the same just removes a person's musical credibilty in my opinion.

The Beatles comparison is right on. It's clear John has been strongly influenced by the Beatles and the Beach Boys in what he does with vocal harmonies. It's just more influences to add to the list that already includes Hendrix, P-Funk, Sly and the Family Stone, the Minutemen, and many others. All these influences are still readily apparent to any listener who is bothering to pay attention.

this is spot on. i 100% agree. the only thing wrong with the chili peppers now is that they release their worst songs as singles, probably because the majority of people that listen to the radio stations and tv channels that are playing mainstream music which the chili peppers are trying to appeal to, like the bad songs. snow was a horrible song, dani california was a bad and rather unoriginal song, humpty bump was garbage, anyway you get the point. stadium arcadium has some great music on it though if you actually take the time to listen to it. don't just write it off as some poppy generic crap rock, because of the singles that came from it. and don't just say what everyone says about how anthony keides can't sing, because i completely agree, but they still have a very unique and original band, that makes very good music. wet sand might be one of the best songs the band has every written.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    believe it or not, I actually became a bigger fan of theirs after seeing the RHCP on the Stadium Arcadium tour. I hear people bash their live show time and time again, but I thought they were great. Stadium Arcadium was a great record. I like alot of their older stuff too.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    wet sand might be one of the best songs the band has every written.

Agreed. That song is amazing.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:

i like them :)
    i like this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkE9ZVqEE0o&mode=related&search=

I think kiedis ha gradually been losing it on the by the way/stadium arcadium era.

all the journalists want to speak to john, hes the star in the band now. flea and chad are the type of guys who would be comfortable with that, but i cant see anthony being so, especially as john is basically showing up anthony with his singing slots on the tours. the backup vocals sound better than the leads alot of the time.

at reading, i think it blew up coz anthony was sucking out and john was doing more vocally to cover for him, which he clearly didnt enjoy. watch the bbc sessions.

and whoever made that comment on snow was spot on!

I watched the Reading performance last night. Yeah it wasnt the best performance ive ever seen of theirs, lol.

Ive never seen that second guitarist before, he must usually stand way in the background, looks like a young Frusciante.

... and i agree with the people who say AK's lyrics have really improved on certain songs on SA (apart from Snow :)).
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    I was down the front for the Reading gig and there was def tension between John and kiedis,i guess what with it being the last gig of the stadium arcadium tour they just wanted to go home. It was great to finally see them (i've been a fan since 91) but other bands over the weekend blew them away. John is some guitarist though.
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • I can't understand why people think Frusciante is such a good guitarist! Can someone please explain? Guitar solos are designed for two things:
    1. To show off.
    2. To add a new melody/develop the song.
    Very few Frusciante solos actually do anything like this. They usually consist of him bending one note for about 20 seconds whilst grimacing. Hardly virtuosic like every seems to think he is. I actually know people who have hated Chili Pepper gigs because of how awful his solos were (admittedly they were guitarists).

• why would I want to touch his backup vocals?

Maybe there was a persuasive wink or some sort of come on.:eek::p
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I can't understand why people think Frusciante is such a good guitarist! Can someone please explain? Guitar solos are designed for two things:
    1. To show off.
    2. To add a new melody/develop the song.
    Very few Frusciante solos actually do anything like this. They usually consist of him bending one note for about 20 seconds whilst grimacing. Hardly virtuosic like every seems to think he is. I actually know people who have hated Chili Pepper gigs because of how awful his solos were (admittedly they were guitarists).

I'm a guitarist - have been for 14 years and I can play. Frusciante is a great guitarist. Anyone who thinks his solos are awful has no sense of creating drama or musical tension with a solo. His improvisations with flea are mind blowing. He can play damn fast as well, although he's not the cleanest player out there. That doesn't bother me, because I like players who have a looser style.

Most live Frusciante solos I've heard do both of the things you list as reasons for a solo, but they do more. They take the song in new directions. I disagree with what you say solos are designed for, though. To me a solo is for the individual player to explore the groove of the song and to play off his band mates. To me, the best solos sound almost like a musical conversation between the band members, with each musician reacting spontaneously to what the other is doing. Frusciante is a master of this.
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Don't ever expect a new Blood Sugar Sex Magik..that was a masterpiece and probably won't happen again.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    this is exactly what i was thinking and kiedis knows it too.

now that hes getting older, the looks dont do it anymore and people realised he cant sing very well...

bring on frusciante.

he's awesome, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Q_6I0018c
    yes, yes, yes!!!

the only good moment at reading for the chilis was when kiedis shut the fuck up and John did his solo song. beautiful.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik was my fav, but ever since John re-joined it's been a downward spiral
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

because they
    s
    u
    c
    k

in the

u
    s
    a
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • LukinFan wrote:
    Jeff can
    The fuck he cant, and jeff he only has a few songs he does. I just think of Low Light and Do The Evolution in where he has a part. plus i cant even notice jeff doing backup vocals on anything whereas John is noticibly singing background on a majority of the songs on Stadium Arcadium.
  • The fuck he cant, and jeff he only has a few songs he does. I just think of Low Light and Do The Evolution in where he has a part. plus i cant even notice jeff doing backup vocals on anything whereas John is noticibly singing background on a majority of the songs on Stadium Arcadium.
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
    Backing vocals are just that. They're meant to add another layer, some depth to the sound of the song, but not completely take over.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me