Options

New Tool review(pretty short)

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I listened to the new album all day, yesterday, for around 10 hours. Needless to say I am hooked. Here is a review.

Vicarious-It fits on the album, but doesnt necesarily sound like anything else. Most people have heard it, they know the deal. I wont bore you with my opinion

Jambi- Maybe the most in your face song since Undertow. Rockin with a crazy time sig. Rockin the talkbox in the solo

Wings for Marie(part 1)/10,000 Days(part 2)- Maybe the most epic beatiful piece of music they have ever done. Itsa journey. Get in the right mind set and get lost in it. Adam Jones' fave Tool song ever

The Pot-Crazy vocal right of the bat threw me for a loop, but the song kicks ass in an Undertow sorta way. Goodness

Lipan Conjuring- Skip it. Indian chants. Might be neat to find the meaning, but other than that its horrible

Lost Keys(Blame Hoffman)/Rosetta Stoned- First half is a trippy number with some recorded nurse/doctor dialog. Rosetta Stoned is what comes of it and it doesnt disappoint. These 2 together are amazing, but still middle of the road compared to the rest of the album

Intension-A cool song. Reminiscent of a few mellower, older Tool songs. Solid.

Right In Two- Right behind the 10k days combo. Amazingly powerful. Just builds and builds. So good.

Vigneti Tres- Sorta like Faaip de Oiad, kinda scary, trippy piece, very abstract

All in all the album blew me away. There is more than what can be taken in with just a few listens. The whole album is very busy. With the right listening environment, it could cause sensory overload.

4.95/5*'s - Its as close to a perfect album as you can get. Take away Lipan Conjuring and Vigneti Tres and fill it in with actual songs, and the album would be perfect.

One thing, I wanna add is that Tool didnt waste any peaks on this album. Somethin I thought they did Lateralus.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Thanks a lot for the review!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I find the new album to be extremely lackluster. I almost fell asleep during Wings For Marie. I love Tool...but c'mon. While the music is very good and complex, for Tool it just doesn't go anywhere. If it were another band I would consider the album amazing, but it is very standard fare for Tool.
  • Options
    i haven't listened to it all the way through yet. it seems like most tool albums where there are some amazing moments and a lot of instrumental filler. i still dig their stuff though.....

right now i like vicarious although it's pretty reminiscent of a lateralus tune. but jambi and the pot are totally kicking my ass. pure metal bliss
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    Thanks a lot...really looking forward to it....wish i could listen to 2 albums at the same time....10k days and PJ
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    Nice review.

Like I said yesterday, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned kinda feels like the follow up to Faaip de Oiad, it sort of picks up where the guy on the phone left off in Faaip.

I seem to find myself replaying Vicarious, The Pot and Rosetta over and over right now. And I can't seem to shake Vicarious out of my head. I like it, not like anything else, but then again its not supposed to be right.

Wings of Marie/10,000 Days is a very personal song upon reading the lyrics and getting a little background on Maynard's family.
  • Options
    Happy JackHappy Jack Posts: 207
    someone please hook me up with a link to this.
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
    8/23/09
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    LBC1076 wrote:
    Nice review.

Like I said yesterday, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned kinda feels like the follow up to Faaip de Oiad, it sort of picks up where the guy on the phone left off in Faaip.

I seem to find myself replaying Vicarious, The Pot and Rosetta over and over right now. And I can't seem to shake Vicarious out of my head. I like it, not like anything else, but then again its not supposed to be right.

Wings of Marie/10,000 Days is a very personal song upon reading the lyrics and getting a little background on Maynard's family.

I made that connection with FdO and LK/RS, thought that was cool.

The Pot really surprised me with that vocal at the beginning. My buddy said it sounded like Maynard tryin to do Justin Timberlake.

WoM/10kD, while I cant make out alot of the lyrics, some of the lines really stick out. Very heavy lyrics imo. I'm sure some people will say cheesy, pretentious etc. etc. etc. Unlike other long drawn out instrumental segueways by Tool, this actually feels like it goes somewhere. The sound effects were a nice touch too.
  • Options
    Wings For Marie (Part 1):

You believed.
    You believed in moments not conceived.
    You believed in me.

Patient in spirit,
    Uncompromise.
    Without us in your heart.
    A light in your eyes that,
    Ends all lies.

Vacant, broken
    Fell at the hands of those moments that I wouldn’t see.
    Cause you, you pray for me too.
    What have I done to be a son to an angel?
    What have I done to be worthy?

Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence.
    Difficult to see you in this light.
    Please forgive this selfish question, but
    What am I to say to all these ghouls tonight?
    She never told a lie,
    Well, might of told a lie.
    But never lived one.
    Didn’t have a life.
    Didn’t have a life.
    But surely saved one.
    Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

10,000 Days (Wings Part 2):

Listen to the tales and romanticize,
    How we follow the path of the hero.
    Boast about the day when the rivers overrun.
    How we rise to the height of our halo.

Listen to the tales as we all rationalize,
    Our way into the arms of the savior.
    Fading all the trials and the tribulations,
    None of us have actually been there.
    Not like you.

Ignorant fibbers in the congregation.
    Gather around spewing sympathy.
    Spare me.
    None of them can even hold a candle up to you,
    Blinded by choices hypocrites won't seek.

But nothing but the collective Judas'
    Who could deny you were the one who would have made it.
    You'll have a piece of the divine.

This little light of mine,
    The gift you passed onto me.
    I'll let it shine,
    To guide you safely on your way.
    Your way home.

What are they going to do when the lights go down?
    Without you guide them all to Zion?
    What are they going to do when the rivers overrun?
    Other than tremble incessantly.

High as a wave but I’ll rise on up on the ground.
    You were the light, and the way, that they will only read about.
    I only pray, heaven knows when to lift you out.
    Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough.
    You're going home.

You're the only one who can hold your head up high.

Shake your fist at the gates saying:
    I have come home now.
    Fetch me the spirit.
    The son, and the father.
    Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
    It's time now, my time now.
    Give me my, give me my, wings.

Give me my,
    Give me my wings.

You are the light, a way.
    That they will only read about.

Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance.
    Burning all through tossed upon non-believers.
    You were my witness.
    My eyes, my evidence.
    Judith Marie, unconditional one.

Please forgive this bold suggestion...
    Should you see your maker's face tonight.
    Look him in the eye
    Look him in the eye, and tell him.
    I never lived a lie, never took a life.
    But surely saved one, hallelujah.
    It's time for you to bring me home.
  • Options
    scrapplescrapple Posts: 5
    i have the cd as well..

i give it 7.5/10

like 4 songs are just background junk music.....

the other 7 are great... but not as good as the old stuff.... THE POT is a great song though....
    -=9=-
  • Options
    scrapple wrote:
    i have the cd as well..

i give it 7.5/10

like 4 songs are just background junk music.....

the other 7 are great... but not as good as the old stuff.... THE POT is a great song though....

4? four? 2, yes, but how do you get 4? Lost Keys? jeez that's one of my favourites. that guitar and the persistent feedback. it sounds so good. and fits with the subject too. as in this doctor emergency thing. that feedback sounds sort of like some alarm/siren. ambulance blues. and what's the other one? the rest are definitely "songs". how do you get 4 then?
  • Options
    cool review, thanks...can't wait to hear Jambi and The Pot, I've been hearing nothing but praise for those two the most. Waiting till May 2nd
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • Options
    checking those lyrics ... keyed on "..Patient in Sprit"

checked out The Patient (dominant live) and this too could involve his mom.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    Tool has made their Riot Act

the merciless dick sucking by their fans will surely still continue however.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Tool has made their Riot Act

the merciless dick sucking by their fans will surely still continue however.

Hahahahaha!

I would say it is a little better than Riot Act, but I am not super keen on what I've heard. I haven't heard anyone who isn't a predeclared Tool maniac say it was a masterpiece, strangely enough
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    October22 wrote:
    sorry, tool is my second favorite band but vicarious isn't really this mind blowing track most are making it out to be. so many parts of the song sound EXACTLY like lateralis. it's a cut and paste job IMO
    The whole cd is like that .

I give the album a

6 out of 10

The Wings for Marie duo is already way overrated.
    Most of these songs lead to nowhere and when they do get somewhere im already disinterested in the song.
    About 3 solid songs all throughout.
    Every song has some wonderful parts but none i fine great as a whole.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    Vicarious is just a bunch of random riffs to me, some good and some not so good. The thing is, to me Tool can never pull off a good melody with a cool rhythm. If the melody's good, its straight up time, which is fine and all. But then, if they do some awesome crazy time breakdown or whatever, its just got the palm mute chugga-chugga power chords. Like the breakdown in Vicarious, where Danny keeps adding to the drum part and its sounding pretty cool, but all the guitar and bass are doing are "duh duh, duh duh, duh duh".
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    LBC1076 wrote:
    Nice review.

where can i find some lyrics for these new super tunes?
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    vedhead10vedhead10 Posts: 40
    more so than with other albums, this one takes quite a few listens to get into some of it...

Yeah, Vicarious-Jambi-The Pot are the "singles" off the album. And they fucking rock.

I know it doesn't make sense to some people that you need to spend time listening to something you don't like in order to like it, but if you think about it, the best things in life usually come that way.

If you "got it" right away, how would you grow?

I think TOOL is all about expanding your self imposed limitations...

Hard to compare to PJ, but I think these new albums show that both bands are in a similar stage in their careers. Changing just enough to make it fresh again.
    "I had a false belief, I thought I came here to stay...We're all just visiting...All just breaking like waves."
    10/19,20/96 11/15/97 7/16/98 10/30,31/99
    10/30,31/00 10/20,21/01 6/1/03 10/25,26/03
    7/13,15,16,18/06 4/5,7,8/08, 8/28/09, *7/9,11,12/11*
    www.fearedandloathed.com
  • Options
    where can i find some lyrics for these new super tunes?

In this thread here http://10000-days.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1016 brother.
  • Options
    ADogNamedPilateADogNamedPilate Texas, USA Posts: 291
    LBC1076 wrote:
    Wings For Marie (Part 1):

You believed.
    You believed in moments not conceived.
    You believed in me.

Patient in spirit,
    Uncompromise.
    Without us in your heart.
    A light in your eyes that,
    Ends all lies.

Vacant, broken
    Fell at the hands of those moments that I wouldn’t see.
    Cause you, you pray for me too.
    What have I done to be a son to an angel?
    What have I done to be worthy?

Please forgive this selfish question, but
    What am I to say to all these ghouls tonight?
    She never told a lie,
    Well, might of told a lie.
    But never lived one.
    Didn’t have a life.
    Didn’t have a life.
    But surely saved one.
    Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

10,000 Days (Wings Part 2):

Listen to the tales and romanticize,
    How we follow the path of the hero.
    Boast about the day when the rivers overrun.
    How we rise to the height of our halo.

Listen to the tales as we all rationalize,
    Our way into the arms of the savior.
    Fading all the trials and the tribulations,
    None of us have actually been there.
    Not like you.

Ignorant fibbers in the congregation.
    Gather around spewing sympathy.
    Spare me.
    None of them can even hold a candle up to you,
    Blinded by choices hypocrites won't seek.

But nothing but the collective Judas'
    Who could deny you were the one who would have made it.
    You'll have a piece of the divine.

This little light of mine,
    The gift you passed onto me.
    I'll let it shine,
    To guide you safely on your way.
    Your way home.

What are they going to do when the lights go down?
    Without you guide them all to Zion?
    What are they going to do when the rivers overrun?
    Other than tremble incessantly.

High as a wave but I’ll rise on up on the ground.
    You were the light, and the way, that they will only read about.
    I only pray, heaven knows when to lift you out.
    Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough.
    You're going home.

You're the only one who can hold your head up high.

Shake your fist at the gates saying:
    I have come home now.
    Fetch me the spirit.
    The son, and the father.
    Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
    It's time now, my time now.
    Give me my, give me my, wings.

Give me my,
    Give me my wings.

You are the light, a way.
    That they will only read about.

Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance.
    Burning all through tossed upon non-believers.
    You were my witness.
    My eyes, my evidence.
    Judith Marie, unconditional one.

Please forgive this bold suggestion...
    Should you see your maker's face tonight.
    Look him in the eye
    Look him in the eye, and tell him.
    I never lived a lie, never took a life.
    But surely saved one, hallelujah.
    It's time for you to bring me home.
    Thanks for the lyrics, really means a lot to me!
    LBC1076 wrote:
    Thanks!
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Hahahahaha!

I would say it is a little better than Riot Act, but I am not super keen on what I've heard. I haven't heard anyone who isn't a predeclared Tool maniac say it was a masterpiece, strangely enough

Honestly, I AM a Tool maniac, and thus far I'm not hearing what would make this album a masterpiece, there's six song on the album.
  • Options
    first let me preface that i have not heard 10,000 days...

with that, in repsonse to a prior post, lateralus also had only 6 songs (grudge, patient, shcism, parobol(a), T&L, lateralus) plus the instrumental DRT (which could be one long song in itself).

with vicarious, one thing that stands out to me is that the single and first song of the album breaks right into song absent the pre-song filler present on other albums. in addition top that, it opens with a lateralus feel (which is forgotten by the end of the song). it is like they are telling us that this is a continuation of the story started in lateralus ... and this part of the story starts with death (vicarious).

in the past 5 years, we have learned about MJK and his mom (See APC's Judith and her death last year). in addition to that, we received more info the past week with the lyrics to 10,000 days .

with this new information, i am now listening to lateralus thinking of the relationship between maynard and his mom.

and on may 2nd, i am going in with open ears, but i may be thinking 10,000 days is the continuation of that relationship starting with her passing.

i nowhere near confident in my theory for 10,000 days needs to be listened to and lateralus needs to be listened to over and over and over again, but i thought i would throw it out there. hope it makes sense, but probably not since i too am still trying to put the pieces together.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    i'd be glad if this album wasnt a masterpiece, i'd like to see all the tool heads reactions and see just how loyal they can be. I love tool, moreso a casual fan but this strikes me as annoying

6 years since lateralus and "vicarious" is the single we get? dont get me wrong, i'm sure the rest of the album is much better but vicarious just drags... and drags... I know maynard was dealing with APC and all but come on.. and like you guys said, noones really come with the opinion that this is a masterpiece.. and now i'm reading it's their "Riot act".. oh man..

• Options
    lateralus also had only 6 songs (grudge, patient, shcism, parobol(a), T&L, lateralus) plus the instrumental DRT (which could be one long song in itself).

6??? what about reflection????

• Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    first let me preface that i have not heard 10,000 days...

with that, in repsonse to a prior post, lateralus also had only 6 songs (grudge, patient, shcism, parobol(a), T&L, lateralus) plus the instrumental DRT (which could be one long song in itself).

with vicarious, one thing that stands out to me is that the single and first song of the album breaks right into song absent the pre-song filler present on other albums. in addition top that, it opens with a lateralus feel (which is forgotten by the end of the song). it is like they are telling us that this is a continuation of the story started in lateralus ... and this part of the story starts with death (vicarious).

in the past 5 years, we have learned about MJK and his mom (See APC's Judith and her death last year). in addition to that, we received more info the past week with the lyrics to 10,000 days .

with this new information, i am now listening to lateralus thinking of the relationship between maynard and his mom.

and on may 2nd, i am going in with open ears, but i may be thinking 10,000 days is the continuation of that relationship starting with her passing.

i nowhere near confident in my theory for 10,000 days needs to be listened to and lateralus needs to be listened to over and over and over again, but i thought i would throw it out there. hope it makes sense, but probably not since i too am still trying to put the pieces together.

Grudge, Patient , Schism, Parabol + Parabola (Linked but i count them both )
    Lateralus , Ticks and Leaches, Reflection , Disposition

Each one is an awesome song = 9

10kd is not a great album. Jambi and the Pot are the only one i truly like. The rest really sound too rehashed.

I an unsettled by this album because i can put at least 2 older songs together and have one of these new tracks...which is very un-Tool.

Vicarious- Schism + Jimmy
    Jambi- Cold+Ugly + Eulogy
    Wings for Marie- Sweat + x-files(Haha)
    10kdays- Lateralus + Sweat +Xfile
    The Pot- Has its own thing going for it and i love it.
    Rossetta Stoned- Patient+ reflection (is a good song towards end)
    Right in Two- Right in Two is pretty good but it basically Push it(especially like the lioveversion on salival) with a 46 & 2 brigde.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    I've yet to hear any of it yet unless I've heard the single in passing.

I go a long way back with Tool (Lollapalooza 93 where I caught them twice on the second stage and three times when they moved to the main stage) and it took me quite a while to appreciate Lateralus and even Aenima for that matter. I was not initially impressed with Aenima's singles but eventually was bowled over by about 3/4 of the album.

Lateralus grew on me slowly as I played it quietly at my desk at work and the shows I caught on that tour were all amazing.

I'm gonna give it time and hope the live versions help to win me over.
    I was lucky as hell to obtain tix to the upcoming Tower Theater show in a couple weeks so we'll see how it goes over there....

I'll try and report back then.