Bands that change(or don't change) setlists

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I have been to 30 or so shows in my life. I am kinda picky but I go to a few every year. I have seen bands that change every show(PJ,Crowes,Moe), band that stay exactly the same, or swap a couple songs in and out each show on 1 tour(Velvet Revolver, David Gilmou),2 tours(Tool)3 tours (Tom Petty). I can't say that I really prefer one way over the other. I mean, PJ has a great light show but it can't compare to Rush or Tool b/c they have it completely planned out before the tour starts, and rehearse it night after night. And the Crowes chattin between songs, seemingly tryin to decide what to play next, isnt anymore off the cuff than Jimmy Page breakin off in to some unheard territory when I seen Page/Plant in '98.

So in short, What do you prefer?

It's almost a straight split for me. Maybe a little on the spontanaiety side since very few bands do that anymore.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    I prefer bands that change their setlists. That's one of the reasons I love Pearl Jam. The way I see it, you don't know what songs Pearl Jam will play and that makes it more exciting to me. Every show is different and you never have the same experience twice with them.

That's not to say that I wouldn't go see a band that plays the same setlist night after night. I would only go to one show though. I don't think I could go to multiple shows of a band that does the same thing every night and continue to enjoy it as much. It would become monotonous after about the second show and I'd want some variety.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i dont know how anyone could prefer bands that keep the same setlist. but i saw rush and their light show and videos on screen were awesome. i can picture rush changing their setlists at each concert but im not sure.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    There has to be a certain amount of change in the music to go to repeat shows, except for a select few. As long as they have some songs that can be jammed out or rearranged in some way it's cool. With PJ you get they best of both worlds. But Zeppelin, for instance, wouldnt change a whole lot of songs from show to show but each time they were played drastically different.

The last time I seen Tool they changed one song from the tour before and dropped Aenima off the end of their set. I was basically a perfected version of the show I seen the tour before. I admit it got a little absurd, knowing what kind of musicians they are, but it was still and excellent show
    i dont know how anyone could prefer bands that keep the same setlist. but i saw rush and their light show and videos on screen were awesome. i can picture rush changing their setlists at each concert but im not sure.

Every show is identical, and that is my point. It's hard for me to decide. An amazing show is an amazing show. I have seen Rush and I know that their setlist is almost identical every time out, but I would go see them a couple times without even thinkin about it.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    it all depends on if you go to multiple shows per tour...which is one of the reasons pearl jam is the touring force they are...much like Dave Matthews, and 311...they change it up so much that its fresh every night!
    "It's all happening"
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    I don't care either way.

Honestly, I think all the obsessive comparison of setlists has gotten completely out of control. It makes me mad when I read about people knocking a particular show just because the setlist wasn't, in their eyes, as good as another one. I think it can kind of ruin the experience for someone. Imagine if you went to only one show of a tour, and then came on here and had to listen to 80 nerds--most of whom were not even there--bitch about how the set was too predictable and boring. :rolleyes:

I remember back during PJ's 03 tour. I was talking to a former bf about how I had managed to get front row seats to one of the shows I went to on that tour. (It was Camden night 2.) The setlist was a little more predictable than some other set lists from around that time. So, my douchebag former bf was like "oh, well, I wouldn't have even wanted to be at that show because the set list sucked so much..."

Pearl Jam is this guy's favorite band. Back then, at least, he completely obsessed over them. He decorated his home with tons of their posters and collected bootlegs like a fiend. It was pretty much his only hobby. And yet, a so-called subpar setlist would be enough to make him happy he wasn't at a particular show? Give me a fucking break. :rolleyes: I hate that attitude.

Oh, and I saw Tool for the first time this summer...and I could have watched the same show over and over again for like 20 hours, because it was so awesome. I'm really just getting into this band, and I feel like I can't get enough of them!
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    Honestly, I think all the obsessive comparison of setlists has gotten completely out of control. It makes me mad when I read about people knocking a particular show just because the setlist wasn't, in their eyes, as good as another one. I think it can kind of ruin the experience for someone. Imagine if you went to only one show of a tour, and then came on here and had to listen to 80 nerds--most of whom were not even there--bitch about how the set was too predictable and boring. :rolleyes:
    I do agree with you about that though. It has gotten way out of control. I haven't been to a PJ show in 4 years (come to the South damnit! ;)) and if I am able to go to another show in the future, I would avoid all threads about that show because of the reasons you just mentioned.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    There are a few reasons why I went to over 30 Phish shows... and one of them is because of their everchanging setlist. You could follow them for a week and only hear about 5 repeats... and they were playing 2 set shows plus multiple song encores! It was always great trying to predict what they were going to play.. :D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    There has to be a certain amount of change in the music to go to repeat shows, except for a select few. As long as they have some songs that can be jammed out or rearranged in some way it's cool. With PJ you get they best of both worlds. But Zeppelin, for instance, wouldnt change a whole lot of songs from show to show but each time they were played drastically different.

I agree with this. I don't care if the set list is the same as long as their is some improvisation to change it up every night. This is why I always disagree with people who complain about Red Hot Chili Peppers setlists. Even when they don't vary the setlist much (and I would argue that they vary it more than most bands), they jam out on many songs, making the show a different experience every night. I'm much more interested in seeing a band create something new on stage than in hearing a particular song.

I can't stand going to see bands that just play their songs note for note they way they are on the album. What's the point in going to the show of there's nothing new to hear?
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    When I go to a show all I want is a great night out and to hear some greta, passionate music. If that can be delivered I don't care if it was the seme setlist they played in south west Omaha 4 nights ago or not. I make sure I do not do a search for setlists prior to the show so everything I hear is new to me.

The only bands I've roadtripped to see play multiple shows are U2 and PJ. U2 play nearly the identical set every night but take a very organic way of changing the way the song is played to the crowd. In back to back nights I heard a 5 minute version of Pride (In the Name of Love) and a 10 minute version that was turned into a huge sing a long.

Really, to me it's about the passion being poured out and the rapport with the audience than with the songs played.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    surferdude wrote:
    Really, to me it's about the passion being poured out and the rapport with the audience than with the songs played.

Disclaimer - Surferdude, this is not directed specifically at you. I'm just using your comment as a launching pad for a point I want to make and I may be misrepresenting what you meant. End Disclaimer.

That's another thing I take issue with. The whole "rapport with the crowd" thing. I understand wanting to feel a connection to the music, but I've often seen complaints of shows I thought were amazing because the beand didn't "interact with the crowd" enough. I don't understand why people give a crap if the band says "Hello Cleveland" or what ever.

I almost prefer the way jazz musicians like Coltrane did it where they barely spoke to the audience and just let the music do the talking. To me, the best music comes when a musician is totally absorbed by the music to the point that the crowd may as well not even be there to them.

Maybe it's because I prefer to approach music as art rather than just entertainment. I don't mean mean to sound snobby or pretentious, I just mean that I go to a show solely for the music, so the light show, etc. means nothing to me. Going to a concert purely for entertainment is fine, it's just not what I personally look for in a concert. To me, interaction with the crowd is more about entertainment than art.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Disclaimer - Surferdude, this is not directed specifically at you. I'm just using your comment as a launching pad for a point I want to make and I may be misrepresenting what you meant. End Disclaimer.

That's another thing I take issue with. The whole "rapport with the crowd" thing. I understand wanting to feel a connection to the music, but I've often seen complaints of shows I thought were amazing because the beand didn't "interact with the crowd" enough. I don't understand why people give a crap if the band says "Hello Cleveland" or what ever.

I almost prefer the way jazz musicians like Coltrane did it where they barely spoke to the audience and just let the music do the talking. To me, the best music comes when a musician is totally absorbed by the music to the point that the crowd may as well not even be there to them.

Maybe it's because I prefer to approach music as art rather than just entertainment. I don't mean mean to sound snobby or pretentious, I just mean that I go to a show solely for the music, so the light show, etc. means nothing to me. Going to a concert purely for entertainment is fine, it's just not what I personally look for in a concert. To me, interaction with the crowd is more about entertainment than art.
    To me the rapport can be purely musical. I saw Joe Perry solo many years ago. He opened with 15 minute or so version of Train Kept A Rollin' and he did about a ten minute guitar solo where the band didn't play. He had full rapport with the audience through the whole solo. In fact my buddy and I didn't even notice the band had stopped playing until they started up again. Draw me into the music, let me get lost in it.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    surferdude wrote:
    To me the rapport can be purely musical. I saw Joe Perry solo many years ago. He opened with 15 minute or so version of Train Kept A Rollin' and he did about a ten minute guitar solo where the band didn't play. He had full rapport with the audience through the whole solo. In fact my buddy and I didn't even notice the band had stopped playing until they started up again. Draw me into the music, let me get lost in it.

I'm with you on that 100%. That is the experience I want from a concert. I couldn't have described it better myself.
    hendrix78 wrote:

To me a good light show is part of the artistry, esp. when you know a band has a big hand in what else goes on besides the music.

If you are goin to a jazz concert, the musicians have to have maximum concentration. Jazz/rock is like martial arts/street fighting. Jazz guys have to be in a zone, where as rockers tend to get lost and play more by emotion.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    To me, interaction with the crowd is more about entertainment than art.

I agree. I think there are times when interaction can certainly add to your experience at a show, but that's not why I go to a show. I don't need to hear them make a joke about the local sports team or some other bullshit.
  • cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 238
    The question reminds me of an article I read in the Washington Post a few years ago about how the music critic went to an Aerosmith show and at one point Steven Tyler swung over the audience hanging from a pole or something. He later went to another show (can't remember if it was the same tour or different) and in the exact same part of that song, the same thing happened. It was the introduction to a column the writer did on how rock should be spontaneous, not overly rehearsed. I wish I could find the article.

My take is that once a band has a few albums - bands with a small catalog get a pass - you should mix things up. It is fine to have staples at every show, but if I go to two shows on one tour, I want at least a handful of the songs to be different.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimore; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY; 23-St Paul1&2, Chicago1; 24-Chicago2, NY1, Baltimore
    cbbjr wrote:
    The question reminds me of an article I read in the Washington Post a few years ago about how the music critic went to an Aerosmith show and at one point Steven Tyler swung over the audience hanging from a pole or something. He later went to another show (can't remember if it was the same tour or different) and in the exact same part of that song, the same thing happened. It was the introduction to a column the writer did on how rock should be spontaneous, not overly rehearsed. I wish I could find the article.

My take is that once a band has a few albums - bands with a small catalog get a pass - you should mix things up. It is fine to have staples at every show, but if I go to two shows on one tour, I want at least a handful of the songs to be different.

That's so cheesy....

I do agree that should be spontaneous most of the time. But I wouldn't expect anything different from Aerosmith these days. ;) And seriously, what the fuck is someone doing going to more than one Aerosmith show? (Or even just the one? ;) )
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    LISTEN TO CLUTCH

their sets go in a rotation. every night a different member writes the setlist so every night it's different and amazing.

Springsteen mixes it up all the time (except the first few nights of the Rising tour-they were all the same).

i've seen Lamb of God and i believe they play mostly the same set every night. same w/ Ministry. it just annoys me to no end.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Either way is fine with me.

Pearl jam does play more of their catalog than most bands. That's a great thing, but it's not necessarily a different setlist every night. There are always a few repeats in the set plus the staples (E flow, Corduroy, ). Pearl jam does a great job with their sets I think (but my friend pointed out that they do play alot of the same songs just in a different order). Theyplay such an extensive catalog though, it doesn'y really matter. "Corduroy could be song #3 one night and #10 the next, so the cool thing is you never know whats coming next, but you can expect those somewhere.

Bands that play the same setlist everynight is fine for me cause I don't usually attend multiple shows for those bands. So, the set doesn't get boring but for someone that does it may get boring. Also the videos are the biggest factor, cause of all the pre- programming like for bands like the who, Tool ect. The video aspect is very cool too especially when you see a band do that for the first time.
    I don't however like rearrangements with the music like the counting crows or Bob Dylan. That can come off as terrible and I love both of those artists.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • About two months ago, I've seen Placebo for the sixth time (first time seen them in 2004 I think, then one year break, after that 5 times from June 06 till June 07).
    They were the band that got me into the whole alternative-stuff, I simply loved them. But now I couldn't be arsed to go to another show, at least not at the very moment. Why? Because out of 6 times I've probably seen them 5 times with the same setlist, only minor changes.
    Everything's so rehearsed, I can actually move the exact same way as Brian (singer) does. I know when he's pointing at his "watch", I know when he's shrugging, I think I do actually know when he's having a cigarette on stage. They sometimes look bored themselves onstage, which isn't necessary.

On the other hand, I've seen I AM X (electro indie shmindie stuff) for the sixth time two weeks ago (first time seen May 06). They didn't have a lot of changes in their setlists, some songs are in that weren't in before, they've changed for a festival and they don't play Kiss & Swallow as a second song anymore. Nevertheless, every, and I say EVERY show is different, and I'm looking forward to reach the 10-gigs-mark this year.

It always depends on what the band/artist makes out of it.

That being said, if a band never ever changes their setlist the chance that you get to hear a specific song is very little. But one gotta live with that.

I'm a gig-addict. I don't care what they do, as long as they do it well.
    The only difference is that if I KNOW that the setlist is being changed every night I feel the need see the band even more often than I would usually.
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,059
    For Pearl Jam or anyone else I may see more than once, I prefer mixing it up. When PJ plays 100 songs on a tour, they screw up some lyrics, etc. Part of the fun for someone like myself who goes to 3 to 5 shows per tour. However, I understand how someone at their only show could care less and would rather see them not miss a note.

In 1996/1997 I saw Stone Temple Pilots twice. Once in Milwaukee and once in Madison. 80 miles apart and 4 months apart. Identical setlist. That was a disappointment. After that, any band that does that, I just see once.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.