missed the boat...

pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
edited September 2007 in Other Music
...Modest Mouse's...

absolutely love the chorus and how they sing it! can relate to some of the lyrics as well. do you think I should just download this song or are there other songs on the album that make it buy-worthy?

While we're on the subject
Could we change the subject now?
I was knocking on your ears
Don't worry, you were always out
Looking towards the future
We were begging for the past
Well, we know we had the good things
But those never seemed to last
Oh, please just last

Everyone's unhappy
Everyone's ashamed
Well we all just got caught looking
At somebody else's page
Well, nothing ever went
Quite exactly as we planned
Our ideas held no water
But we used them like a dam

Oh, and we carried it all so well
As if we got a new position
Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell
Saying, "Yes, this is a fine promotion"
Oh, and I laugh all the way to hell

Of course everyone goes crazy
Over such and such and such
We made ourselves a pillar
But we just used it as a crutch
We were certainly uncertain
At least I'm pretty sure I am
Well, we didn't need the water
But we just built that good goddamn

Oh, and I know this of myself
I'd assume as much for other people
Oh, and I know this of myself
We've listened more to life's end gong
Than the sound of life's sweet bells

Was it ever worth it?
Was there all that much to gain?
Well, we knew we'd missed the boat
And we'd already missed the plane
We didn't read the invite
We just danced at our own wake
All our favorites were playing
So we could shake, shake, shake, shake, shake

Tiny curtains open and we heard the tiny clap of little hands
A tiny man would tell a little joke and get a tiny laugh from all the folks
Sitting, drifting around in bubbles and thinking it was us that carried them
When we finally got it figured out that we had truly missed the boat

Oh, and we carried it all so well
As if we got a new position
Oh, and we owned all the tools ourselves
But not the skills to make a shelf with
Oh, what useless tools ourselves
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I am a big fan of that song as well. I dont think the album is their best work, but I definitely think the album is buy worthy.
  • It's definitely buy-worthy. It isn't The Moon and Antarctica, but it is pretty damn good.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i love the palm muting (i think) during the one verse near the end of the song, this part:

we didn't read the invite....we just danced at our own wake
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    this song must finally be a single now?

always liked this one

all the tracks with mercer from the shins turned out really nice
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    great album. buy it - no brainer.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    bharQ wrote:
    this song must finally be a single now?

always liked this one

all the tracks with mercer from the shins turned out really nice
    yeah, florida is a sure fire single
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    Parting of the Sensory is my favorite track on the album overall though... I would say it's up there with Doin the cockroach and Tiny cities made of ashes as far as favorite songs from a long time modest fan go.... something about it.. its the perfect mix of their old sound and new sound... when the fiddles kick in i love that part
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • It's what got me into them. I love the part where Isaac sings "We knew we had the good things but those never seem to last....oh please just last". AWESOME, gives me chills all the time.

The CD itself has some catchy shit on it and I'm happy Isaac is half sober now but their older (pre-GNFPWLBN) albums are better.
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    Definetely worth buying their latest!

Spitting Venom, Parting of the Sensory, and Dashboard are my favourites from this album.

Saw them again Monday night in a small venue in London (better than the Royal Albert Hall gig in May, for me).

They played mainly songs from the new album though, and only just over an hour and a half (PJ spoils it for everyone else! :)) ... still, fantastic gig! They were totally into it. Great night of live music for sure.
  • :)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i like me some Modest Mouse :p
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This is a great album.

Parting of the Sensory and Spitting Venom are two of my favorite songs i've heard this year from any band.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • thanks you all

I actually just got the cd with Missed the Boat on it from the library today because my a*s is poor. I like the title--We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank---a little dose of some morbid haha. Haven't checked out the whole album yet but looking forward to it.
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited May 2016
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • I love the part where Isaac sings "We knew we had the good things but those never seem to last....oh please just last". AWESOME, gives me chills all the time.

That's a great line. I like that part too.
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited May 2016
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
    I've only heard these songs once so far but can definitely hear their appeal. People as Places as People also stuck out for me too. I want to read all the lyrics--they have some really great lyrics.

Missed the Boat, by far, is my favorite and I absolutely love every bit of it!

Being a non-native English speaker I find myself drawn to songs in the first place as a mixture of sound and words. Basically, it is only at a later stage that I catch some of the lyrics from listening non-stop to a song, and of course in the process create my own version/interpretation of it. Then if the music really appeals to me, I get to the trouble of reading up the full lyrics, to see what they're actually supposed to be about! :D

Having said that, I am really into Modest Mouse so now I am keen to understand what they sing about.

And talking of MM songs... what's Doing the Cockroach all about?? Love the song but really have no clue! Anyone that can share some light? Thanks! :)
    lgt wrote:

And talking of MM songs... what's Doing the Cockroach all about?? Love the song but really have no clue! Anyone that can share some light? Thanks! :)

the feeling i get from that song is Horseback riding on acid.... really picture that while you're listening to the part "Well, late last winter..Down below the equator
    They had a summer that would make you blister...." when it kicks in. let me know what you think

as for the lyrics there.... skys the limit :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    lgt wrote:

I have always felt doin the cockaroach was about surviving life. The craziness that is life from the little things on up to the big things.

Isn't there some old saying that after a nuclear attack the only thing alive is a cockaroach or something crazy like that? You can stomp on them but somehow they still escape adn stuff.

Kind of like life is a whirlwind spinning you around and you just try to survive all the shit that gets thrown at you the best you can.

I could be way off base but that is what i always took from it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I have always felt doin the cockaroach was about surviving life. The craziness that is life from the little things on up to the big things.

Isn't there some old saying that after a nuclear attack the only thing alive is a cockaroach or something crazy like that? You can stomp on them but somehow they still escape adn stuff.

Kind of like life is a whirlwind spinning you around and you just try to survive all the shit that gets thrown at you the best you can.

I could be way off base but that is what i always took from it.

I can see this point, and wow, this interpretation would be really apt for me right now! Yup, definitely.

Thanks! :)
    bharQ wrote:
    the feeling i get from that song is Horseback riding on acid.... really picture that while you're listening to the part "Well, late last winter..Down below the equator
    They had a summer that would make you blister...." when it kicks in. let me know what you think

as for the lyrics there.... skys the limit :)

lol, not sure I can picture a horseback riding on acid! But I'll give it a shot next time I play the song! :)

Thanks for your input! :D
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i might be the only modest mouse fan who doesn't like doin the cockroach. i always felt it was one of the weakest songs on that album.

the new album is probly the best of the year so far for me.
  • i might be the only modest mouse fan who doesn't like doin the cockroach. i always felt it was one of the weakest songs on that album.

the new album is probly the best of the year so far for me.

We agree once more. I don't get the love for this song.

The album is my second or third favorite of the year.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.