Neil Young set to release archives on Blu-ray

vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
edited May 2008 in Other Music
http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/neil-youngs-archive-coming-out-on-bluray/2008/05/07/1209839705190.html

American rocker Neil Young said today he is teaming up with Sun Microsystems to release a music video archive on Blu-ray DVDs.

Young unveiled the collaboration at a JavaOne conference in San Francisco, giving a high-profile endorsement Sony's high-definition DVD technology that was recently crowned victor in format wars with Toshiba's HD DVD.

He said the high-definition format allows high quality music reproduction to be blended with rich graphics in a manner that does his works justice.

"It is important for me that the user experience the high resolution music along with the archival visual material," Young said.

"Previous technology required unacceptable quality compromises. The technology had not yet evolved to that capability. I am glad we waited and got it right."

HD DVD's fate was sealed by a series of setbacks, with Hollywood titan Warner Brothers and US retail giant Wal-Mart both throwing their weight behind Blu-ray earlier this year.

Blu-ray and HD DVD both offer cinematic-quality images and multimedia features, but movie studios were eager to see the emergence of just one standard, while many consumers had been reluctant to buy a machine that might become obsolete.

The first Neil Young Archive release will be a ten-disc set, powered by Java technology, released late this year. It will contain his music from 1963 to 1972.

"Sun is thrilled to be working with Neil Young on what will surely be the most innovative release of any artist's material and the start of a new genre of content," said Sun chief executive Jonathan Schwartz.

The Neil Young Archive promises to be a biography of the musician's career showing movies, letters, manuscripts, videos and a chronology of music released and unreleased.

AFP
2003 - Sydney x3,
2006 - Reading Festival,
2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
2010 - I watched it go to fire!
2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    oohhh this is great, ive always wanted to say this: here goes, ahem

WELCOME TO SIX DAYS AGO!!!

yes.....!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    TEN DISC SET.

WOW!

Thanks for posting, even if it was a repeat. This is the first I had heard of it.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020