Options

Science

offhegoes09offhegoes09 Posts: 327
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Not that I'm complaining about the poppier route that Incubus has taken in their past 3 albums, but in my mind SCIENCE is far superior to Make Yourself, Morning View, and Crow Left of the Murder...I miss the hard rocking with all of the sampling and turntable effects.
And I'm also not real keen on Brandon Boyd taking his shirt off sex symbol shit every show. IT just gets under my skin a bit. Any opinions?
"The whole world will be different soon"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    You could take the best tracks off everything but SCIENCE and SCIENCE itself would be a better disc. It is beyond superior to everything else they put out.

I don't mind their new direction either, I just don't listen to much of it.
  • Options
    jimmy pjimmy p Posts: 71
    Incubus haven't taken the poppier route at all. Buy the Halo 2 soundtrack and tell me they're pop. They get better with each album. Incubus were never metal, and they still have plenty of turn table effects.
    And he's always taken off his shirt, even in the science days.
  • Options
    jimmy p wrote:
    Incubus haven't taken the poppier route at all. Buy the Halo 2 soundtrack and tell me they're pop. They get better with each album. Incubus were never metal, and they still have plenty of turn table effects.
    And he's always taken off his shirt, even in the science days.

You don't believe that their studio albums have become more poppy? I'm not comparing them to Britney Spears or Maroon 5, but since SCIENCE and Fungus Amongus, they have become softer and more acoustic...and far less experimental with each album. Granted there are the rockier tunes on each one, but as a whole...they've become more poppy and commercial friendly. I don't see how 1 song on a soundtrack can argue that point.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Fungus and Enjoy Incubus are awesome, but S.c.i.e.n.c.e. is far and away their best work, and I agree 100% about then getting to poppy after that. I think Make Yourself had some moments, but they lost me after Science for the most part. I got into them a few months before Science came out, and when I first heard it I was blown away. I thought I was onto something big. I am glad for them that they are huge now, but I just don't dig the music anymore. They deserve to be where they are, I just wish they'd have kept being as innovative.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    You don't believe that their studio albums have become more poppy? I'm not comparing them to Britney Spears or Maroon 5, but since SCIENCE and Fungus Amongus, they have become softer and more acoustic...and far less experimental with each album. Granted there are the rockier tunes on each one, but as a whole...they've become more poppy and commercial friendly. I don't see how 1 song on a soundtrack can argue that point.

I like acoustic songs. No offence, but you sound like a 14 year old.
    Go buy the Halo 2 soundtrack and tell me they've become less experimental. Do it and you shall eat your words.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834

You don't consider A crow left of the murder to be experimental? In terms of their previous work, I'd say a lot of it is pretty different and experimental. Their recent music is certainly more melodic at times, but that's just the band evolving, I'm sure they will return to some heavier stuff when they are ready to - this is one of the things I like about Incubus, they are in it for the long run.
  • Options
    Yeah, Mike said on their podcast that a new song called "Dig" is "by far the heaviest" song they've ever done.
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Science and Make Yourself are definitely my favorites, not sure which one I like more.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    jimmy p wrote:
    I like acoustic songs. No offence, but you sound like a 14 year old.
    Go buy the Halo 2 soundtrack and tell me they've become less experimental. Do it and you shall eat your words.

I sound like a 14 year old because I'm stating my opinions? I think that name calling is a bit like how I'd settle an argument when I was 14...
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Science is my favorite Incubus album too. I think it was after that album that the DJ left and they brought in the guy who is currently with them, i prefer the older DJ's work.

But i think make urself gets ragged on cause 'Drive' became such a massive international hit for them and the die hard fans hated that it wasnt 'their band' anymore.
  • Options
    Incubus has always been my favorite band and forever will be the first real band that I have had a serious connection with. I am the typical stereotype of an incubus fan, a fifteen year-old girl, but I am a die-hard fan. I own every single one of there cd's from fungus to ACLOTM and I can see where each one of your viewpoints come from. Almost everyone I know considers incubus as sell-outs. NOT TRUE, but you know who I blame for the huge success of the band BRANDON BOYD. His hotness has drawn millions to incubus (for the wrong reasons). I read an interview with Mikey (guitarist for incubus) once saying that one day he was walking outside of TRL and some girl had a poster w/ incubus in huge letters, so he decided to walk in front of her. This person was totally oblivious to the fact that the guitarist of the band she was literally screaming about was feet away, and you know why this teen was a fan? Brandon Boyd, enough said. Supposedly this is one of the reasons why Dirk Lance (Alex) the former bassist of incubus left. Allegedly he thought that incubus was becoming more main stream, and not the band he joined in high school. Yes, incubus has become much mellower, but ACLOTM was experimental. Morning View in my opinion was the most main stream of their cd. If anything I think the writing process has excelled. Sorry Brandon, but lyrics on Fungus aren’t that good, even though they are entertaining (pshycosilocibin). The writing process has immensely improved. The new album is bound to be heavier a supposedly Dig is the heaviest song they have ever made. (They do cite Pearl Jam an influential band and even got the idea of bootlegs from them). So, if anything, it is re-invention - but incubus will always be under criticism b/c of Brandon’s good looks. And yes he does take the no-shirt thing a little too far sometimes. With every singe one of their albums there is a reinvention, even when they were an “underground” success from Fungus to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Each member of incubus has immense talent from Mikey with his distortion, Chris with his scratching abilities, Jose with his amazing drumming skills, Ben with his crazy bass lines, and Brandon with his powerful vocals. Why cant Brandon be ugly, that would make things a whole lot easier!
    An ounce of deception
    Kills a pound of pain