Steve Vai...

RrVwMirrorRrVwMirror Posts: 50
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Any fans out there?

If so, what album(s) would you recommend getting as a gift for someone who can truly appreciate great guitar music, yet is not familiar with Steve Vai?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm not familiar with his solo work, but he was totally out control when he played with Frank Zappa (his first big break). Zappa would write EXTREMELY DIFFICLUT parts for him to play and he would nail them every time. It's too bad there isn't one particular Zappa CD that showcases his talent. I believe that Steve put out a box set that includes some of his work with Zappa - you might want to start there, granted it covers his entire career, but I'm not familiar with the contents.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Start with Passion and Warfare...
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!................................................................................

Sorry I must have nodded off while that Steve bloke metaphorically tugged his bellend on his fretboard for what seemed like an eternity!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Anyone interested in Steve Vai should check this guy out:
    http://www.johnnya.com

He's on Vai's music label, and he's quite possibly one of the best guitarists out there right now, just gaining some notoriety as of late. He's opened for BB King as well. I learned of him through my dad's friend who played in a band with him once, and is now a techie for him.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Steve Vai is a redonkulous fucking musician, he has to be on acid at all times...has to be.
  • RrVwMirror wrote:
    Any fans out there?

If so, what album(s) would you recommend getting as a gift for someone who can truly appreciate great guitar music, yet is not familiar with Steve Vai?

Thanks!

Have them go rent Crossroads....Vai as the Devil's guitar player rocks!
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    redrock wrote:
    Start with Passion and Warfare...

I concur - Sex and Religion is cool too.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm inclined to find that seeing is as important as hearing when trying out a new artist, so the DVD's of G3 are a place to start. I prefer the one with Eric Johnson to the one with Malmsteen, but both are good for seeing Vai play, and you get some Satchmo as well. The sections are not overly long though.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Alien Love Secrets is pretty stripped down and has some great songs.

He has a cd out called the 7th song......every track 7 on a vai album is always the big bopper and pretty amazing. this would be the album to get. Includes a few bonus tracks and Warm Regards as a hidden track........in my opinion Warm Regards is one of the most expressive instrumentals i've ever heard from a gutiarist.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I like a lot of his stuff! I still listen to Flex-able... it's a low budget recording but quite diverse -- You get Zappa-type arrangements to all out rockers -- Attitude Song to Little Green Men to Lovers Are Crazy. Don't forget he played guitar on PIL's 'Album' release from '85 (I think that was the year). The last few tracks on that one he lets go pretty nice -- Not the type of band you'd expect him to be associated with!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Is it Steve Vai who did a song with a guy Devlin?? And they had to learn the song backwards for the music video??
    Anyway that song fukin owned!! i think it was him :o
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Is it Steve Vai who did a song with a guy Devlin?? And they had to learn the song backwards for the music video??
    Anyway that song fukin owned!! i think it was him :o
    yeah, Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad) was the guy.

I have to think Passion and Warfare is the best place to start though the G3 mentioned above is awesome.