Are The Drive By Truckers a good live band?

evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Hey all. The Drive By Truckers are rolling into Minneapolis later this month and I was wondering if they're a solid live act. I have all their albums and dig their sound. Are they worth spending 20 dollars on? How long is their set (on average)? Any info would be great! Thanks.
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
-Christopher Walken

you're=you are
your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
-Stephen Colbert
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• one of the best
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Hell Yes......as a headliner they rattle out a good two hour plus set...like PJ, they don't play the same set list show after show....saw them Saturday....they rock....seriously. In fact, I will see them twice with two weeks.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    You can't spend $20 a better way - don't hesitate and go..you'll enjoy yourself no doubt
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I'd drive to a show from Toronto if I could, but any possibe close shows are during the week, and weekend shows are at least 12 hours away.

What a bummer
  • one of my fav. bands. if not my most fav. i was disappointed jason isbell left the band though..anyone know where i can find a torrent of his album?
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    I have seen them 5 times... once was a festival but the other 4 times were all over 2 hours, with two of the shows topping out at 3. They don't even make a setlist they just play what they want, so you could hear almost anything from their catalog.

Don't even hesitate, they are one of the best live bands anywhere.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Yes. One of the best live bands out there, well worth catching live.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Does shit come out of your arsehole?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    They don't even make a setlist they just play what they want, so you could hear almost anything from their catalog.

Don't even hesitate, they are one of the best live bands anywhere.
    We stood just behind the sound board on Saturday night....and you are right. No pieces of paper indicating a set list.

Speaking of hearing anything from their catalog......I suspect that we heard at least five or more NEW songs on Saturday night....stuff from the forthcoming album.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    We stood just behind the sound board on Saturday night....and you are right. No pieces of paper indicating a set list.

I asked Jenn on the Nine Bullets board about this after I saw them in Feb '06...I was right in front of Jason and didn't see a setlist.

She said they go "off-the-cuff".

I enjoy seeing them live as much as Pearl Jam (maybe a little more these days).

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    I asked Jenn on the Nine Bullets board about this after I saw them in Feb '06...I was right in front of Jason and didn't see a setlist.

She said they go "off-the-cuff".

I enjoy seeing them live as much as Pearl Jam (maybe a little more these days).

PBM
    Sometimes they are so "off-the-cuff" that they don't play anything from their most recent album. :eek: No ABAAC songs on Saturday night.
    tybird wrote:
    Sometimes they are so "off-the-cuff" that they don't play anything from their most recent album. :eek: No ABAAC songs on Saturday night.

They haven't been playing that one much lately... when I saw them in April, they didn't play anything from it (out of 28 songs!). And looking over their setlists, there are only about 4-5 that seem to be popping up.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Are they still doing the "Dirt Underneath" tour? I seem to remember something about focusing on older material for that tour.

They may be burnt out on ABAAC after touring behind it last year.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Are they still doing the "Dirt Underneath" tour? I seem to remember something about focusing on older material for that tour.

PBM

Yeah there are a few regular shows as well right now, but the bulk of the current tour is still "Dirt Underneath." So that maybe explain the lack of that material. And also if you think about it, that record had 11 songs, subtract Isbell's 2 and you have 9. Two of those were almost never played (Little Bonnie and A Blessing and A Curse). So that leaves 7. And out of that 7, 3 wouldn't really work acoustically (Aftermath, Wednesday, Feb 14) so in all reality, there aren't a lot of songs that they could be playing from that record right now.

(The above is what happens when I am really bored at work: hardcore over-analysis of DBT setlists. I used to do it for Pearl Jam, but you know... I'm from the South, so it is kind of hard to keep caring.)

Also I just don't think they were as happy with that record as they could have been... it wasn't bad, but it was certainly a step down from the previous three, in my humble opinion.
    Are they still doing the "Dirt Underneath" tour? I seem to remember something about focusing on older material for that tour.

PBM
    The show here on the 12th is a Dirt show.

Last Saturday night was a "Rock" show.
  • GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    Great live show!
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • tybird wrote:
    The show here on the 12th is a Dirt show.

Last Saturday night was a "Rock" show.

Just out of curiosity...are they playing any Jason songs?

PBM

• jason is no longer a part of DBT. Pretty sure they announced a few weeks...months?? ago that they were going their seperate ways. Which is unfortunate because Jason's songs were my fav. anyone wanna send me Jason's solo album? pm me
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
    Just out of curiosity...are they playing any Jason songs?

PBM
    Nope.