Portishead is eerily depressing and beautiful

evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
edited October 2007 in Other Music
I've been listening to Portishead's two albums and some of the music is just brutally moody and depressing. Songs like Biscuit, Glory Box, Only You, Over and Wandering Star sound like something from a doomed world. It's all really incredible and unique (listen with a good set of headphones for maximum effect). It's a total shame the band has been MIA since about 1999.
Any props for Portishead?
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
-Christopher Walken

you're=you are
your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
-Stephen Colbert
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Beth Gibbons's vocals are amazing.
    heard they have been recording their 3rd album since late 06
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • evenflow82 wrote:
    I've been listening to Portishead's two albums and some of the music is just brutally moody and depressing. Songs like Biscuit, Glory Box, Only You, Over and Wandering Star sound like something from a doomed world. It's all really incredible and unique (listen with a good set of headphones for maximum effect). It's a total shame the band has been MIA since about 1999.
    Any props for Portishead?

...and sour times, of course :) great songs! i don't really find their music depressing, but i would call it mood music. to set a mood or to listren to while in a certain mood. i find the songs stay with you in your head...hauntingly beautiful.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    "Hauntingly beautiful" is definitely the PERFECT way to sum up PORTISHEAD.

This is hands down one of my fav bands EVER! "Love" doesn't even seem to come close to describing how I feel about them. :o This sound, this style, just the entire feeling that they capture and create...you just cannot compare it to anything else out there. You just can't. And Beth's voice is one of the greatest blessings this world has ever known. Words can't describe the power, pain and emotion that pours outta of this gorgeous force! It's like she's in a constant state of mourning, singing every song on her fuckin deathbed. It's beyond powerful and so eery...but once again, beeeeeeautiful. Unique sounds all around here and yes, music that makes you feel. It just completely sucks you into another world.

Alright, this praising could easily go on forever. :p Basically, HELL YES to this post evenflow82. This band owns a huge part of me that no one else can come close to touching!

Here's to the majorly, majorly super highly anticipated release of the next album. They currently have the date set for APRIL 2007!! :D Please god let it be so!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    wow, a new Portishead sounds very exciting. Count me in as a fan of this band, although Sour Times is way better than their self-titled IMO. Do you like any other bands that sound similar like Morcheeba, Lamb, Esthero ?

"Cause nobody loves me, it's true..........not like you do"
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    "Hauntingly beautiful" is definitely the PERFECT way to sum up PORTISHEAD.

This is hands down one of my fav bands EVER! "Love" doesn't even seem to come close to describing how I feel about them. :o This sound, this style, just the entire feeling that they capture and create...you just cannot compare it to anything else out there. You just can't. And Beth's voice is one of the greatest blessings this world has ever known. Words can't describe the power, pain and emotion that pours outta of this gorgeous force! It's like she's in a constant state of mourning, singing every song on her fuckin deathbed. It's beyond powerful and so eery...but once again, beeeeeeautiful. Unique sounds all around here and yes, music that makes you feel. It just completely sucks you into another world.

Alright, this praising could easily go on forever. :p Basically, HELL YES to this post evenflow82. This band owns a huge part of me that no one else can come close to touching!

Here's to the majorly, majorly super highly anticipated release of the next album. They currently have the date set for APRIL 2007!! :D Please god let it be so!

i love love adore portishead. listen to those two albums as much as any i have. my only questin is where have yall been. i've started a couple threads in the past about portishead and never got a single response from anyone. oh well, i've found several great live songs of their on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-pQU0Ey6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imrfo-uRjcE
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Oh man I know.. I need to get more Portishead.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • the live disc at roseland is a perfect proof of what this band is about...an unique athmosphere...an unique sound...sometimes you really want to be sad
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    the live disc at roseland is a perfect proof of what this band is about...an unique athmosphere...an unique sound...sometimes you really want to be sad

Tell me about it. I did a youtube search and found 'Biscuit' set to a pictoral about gaffiti in Pripyat (a town a couple of miles from Chernobyl). If that isn't sad, I don't know what is. Check out how the mood of the song just fits the decomposing vacant world of this once inhabitable city. Freaky as shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkT4Xxuk9EQ
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • evenflow82 wrote:
    Tell me about it. I did a youtube search and found 'Biscuit' set to a pictoral about gaffiti in Pripyat (a town a couple of miles from Chernobyl). If that isn't sad, I don't know what is. Check out how the mood of the song just fits the decomposing vacant world of this once inhabitable city. Freaky as shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkT4Xxuk9EQ

great song that is so true to life.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Portishead is just amazing. Great vocals, great tones, great mudes. Analog at its best.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • So I downloaded Glory Box and Biscuits and I have to say, I really dig this! That youtube vid of GB is amazing.

Recommend me a few other songs.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    LOVE them. the unplugged cd is just amazing. they were my favorite of the trip hop era. (old sneaker pimps was good too until they ditched the chick).

I liked portishead more than Bjork. i thought their songs were easier on the ears. and beth's voice is hypnotizing!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
    Dick Jones wrote:
    So I downloaded Glory Box and Biscuits and I have to say, I really dig this! That youtube vid of GB is amazing.

Recommend me a few other songs.

anything off dummy!

really, this is a band where you won;t find any really bad tunes.
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Roseland NYC Live (1999) is my favorite..maybe some would like Massive Attack as well. Portishead along with Massive Attack and Tricky were considered the trident of Trip-Hop. Shame that Tricky couldn't keep delivering good albums as the other two.
    portishead didn't get the love they deserved. i thought they blew bjorks music out of the water. the sheer beauty of it.