Options

The new Beatles Capitol Records Box Set

gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Volume 2 is coming out this Tuesday (4/11), and contains "The Early Beatles", "Beatles VI", "Help!" and "Rubber Soul". Both mono and stereo versions of all four albums. BUT.....read this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060408/music_nm/beatles_dc_2

Basically, initial production runs of the box are "screwed up".

BTW, anybody know why between Vol. 1 and now Vol. 2 they haven't released "A Hard Day's Night"?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    A Hard Day's Night wasn't released because the album was not released on Capital, but on United Artists.

From Peter Brown's book "The Love You Make":

"Neither EMI or Capital thought to cover movie soundtracks in their contracts with the Beatles....United Artists were less interested in making a movie than they were in making a soundtrack album; even if the movie was a flop, U.A. would almost certainly make a profit from record sales." (p. 121)
  • Options
    A Hard Day's Night wasn't released because the album was not released on Capital, but on United Artists.

From Peter Brown's book "The Love You Make":

"Neither EMI or Capital thought to cover movie soundtracks in their contracts with the Beatles....United Artists were less interested in making a movie than they were in making a soundtrack album; even if the movie was a flop, U.A. would almost certainly make a profit from record sales." (p. 121)

After I posted the question, I thought to look through my vinyl collection to find that the record was released by UA. Interestingly enough, the singles from the album/soundtrack were released by Capitol, which probably had more to do with EMI than anything else
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Oh how i love the Beatles:)
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    What a random collection to release. Who wants the US version of any of their albums? VI and Early Beatles are both just bastardized versions of much better albums. Capitol sucks, this set will be outrageously priced and it is useless.
  • Options
    CM1847 wrote:
    What a random collection to release. Who wants the US version of any of their albums? VI and Early Beatles are both just bastardized versions of much better albums. Capitol sucks, this set will be outrageously priced and it is useless.

I think that this is being released for those who grew up listening to the (inferior) American releases of the Beatles albums. I know that I'll probably get both boxes (try to get 'em used, they'll be cheaper), since when it comes down to it, I got into the Beatles listening to the old vinyls my best friend's mom had. It'll be cool to hear the Capitol "stereo" versions again. It's a nostalgia thing. Yeah, I've got all the CD album releases, but these will be different.

Or, maybe I should just listen to my vinyls. Just difficult to do in the car, you know. :)
    -John Lennon