the editors.

books+jealousybooks+jealousy Posts: 14
edited April 2006 in Other Music
hey, anyone hear "the back room" by the editors? if you like interpol and/or coldplay, you might want to check out songs like "munich" and "sparks." also, you might want to read my review maybe:

http://hippophooray.blogspot.com
words are a strange docile wheat, are they not?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rucchinrucchin Posts: 25
    ehhh, i mean, i dug interpol even though they sounded like joy division but i dont know if i can stretch it out 3 generations to a band sounding like interpol, sounding like joy division. I have my limits.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Editors are one of the best bands in England at the minute...

They were superb when I saw them live...

Leagues ahead of Interpol and they sound nothing like Coldplay....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

Oh thank god someone else dosen't hear Coldplay in them, cant stand Coldplay, took me a while to get into the Editors but kept seeing the video for Munich and it grew on me now I love em.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Oh thank god someone else dosen't hear Coldplay in them, cant stand Coldplay, took me a while to get into the Editors but kept seeing the video for Munich and it grew on me now I love em.

I dont hear Coldplay in them at all either. Not even that much Interpol although that can't be denied completely ;)

I think The BAck Room is a really strong album. They really strive on energetic and powerful drumming and music in general. I mean, listen to the first minute of Bullets, hits you in the face right away.

At first listen I thought it all sounded kinda similar, interesting riff at the beginning and a steady drumbeat to accentuate the chorus. But after a few listens I have to say that every song on that album is at least good, most great.

On a negative note, I'd have to mention the songwriting and lyrics. The lyrics because they don't really have that much, they really like to repeat stuff and get through the album with really few new lines. The song structures seem pretty stale as well.

But overall, it's a great record. I hope they don't get lost among the many British Indie bands that put out a dazzling debut and then can't back it up or dont get noticed when they put out their sophomore effort.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
    I dont hear Coldplay in them at all either. Not even that much Interpol although that can't be denied completely ;)

Coldplay to me sound like a cheaper version of U2.

Kind of like Famous Grouse to Glenmorangie.
    Coldplay to me sound like a cheaper version of U2.

Dont knock the Grouse... :D

Yeah Coldplay are kinda getting that way, but they didn't start out that way...

Man, 'Yellow' still takes me back...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Coldplay to me sound like a cheaper version of U2.

Haha, this gets difficult, I dont hear any U2 in Coldplay or vice versa, I think Death Cab For Cutie are the "better" Coldplay though - meaning they sound like Coldplay from Parachutes days (which is a good thing of course)
    Dont knock the Grouse... :D

Yeah Coldplay are kinda getting that way, but they didn't start out that way...

Man, 'Yellow' still takes me back...

The problem with my analogy was I aint a fan of Coldplay and dont like pretty much any U2 since Rattle And Hum, where as whisky I like both Famous Grouse and Glenmorangie just prefer the later.:)
  • The editors played at my uni and it was a tiny room that could only fit a few hundred people in so it was awesome. Also, we are scientists supported them and they were pretty good too.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    rucchin wrote:
    ehhh, i mean, i dug interpol even though they sounded like joy division but i dont know if i can stretch it out 3 generations to a band sounding like interpol, sounding like joy division. I have my limits.

Fuck that! Who cares? Editors is a very good band in their own and they will blow your socks of live.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174

They sound nothing like coldplay but id argue against them being leagues ahead of interpol, or even being that close to them. Suppose its your own opinion but i dont think their is a bad song on either of the interpol albums whereas i find some of the editors album a bit boring.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    The editors played at my uni and it was a tiny room that could only fit a few hundred people in so it was awesome. Also, we are scientists supported them and they were pretty good too.

I caught the same tour.... :)

Which Uni by the way?
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I heard one song by them the other day, and the guy sounds a lot like Ian Curtis from Joy Division. Was not a bad song at all though, I want to find out more about them.
  • Igottago wrote:
    I heard one song by them the other day, and the guy sounds a lot like Ian Curtis from Joy Division. Was not a bad song at all though, I want to find out more about them.

You can listen to 4 songs from the album here

http://www.myspace.com/editorsmusic
  • I caught the same tour.... :)

Which Uni by the way?

Loughborough