Alt Country...

bmwweirdoguybmwweirdoguy Posts: 228
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Any fans here? Am I alone??? Just picked up a great cd from a local band here in Seattle...North Twin. I've been listening to it all weekend and it rocks!
"Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    What do you mean by that term?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    alternative country - i think it means country music that doesn't suck haha it's the more contemporary stuff i think like wilco or ryan adams. I like most of it myself:) haven't heard north twin though.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I like Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson......and a few other legends

I like some country infused rock like The Eagles, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, The Byrds

Other than that, I hate all country with a passion
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yup i am a fan... i would put the likes of Neko Case, Drive by truckers, bottle rockets, old reliable and even modest mouse in this catogory
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    My Morning Jacket is considered alt. country, and I think they're brilliant.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Try listening to Ryan Adams, Sarah Harmer, and Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins.
    Cock Fight.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Any fans here? Am I alone??? Just picked up a great cd from a local band here in Seattle...North Twin. I've been listening to it all weekend and it rocks!

Just listening to some of their tunes on myspace, sound pretty damn good!

I love some Ryan Adams, and a mate just burned me some Bright Eyes stuff to listen to (do they count as alt-country?).
  • i hate the term alt-country.

and theres no way modest mouse should have been mentioned in this thread.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    i hate the term alt-country.

and theres no way modest mouse should have been mentioned in this thread.

I agree with both of these statements.

It's hard to explain to people though that you enjoy Country without them assuming you mean Toby Keith and Faith Hill.
    Cock Fight.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    I agree with both of these statements.

It's hard to explain to people though that you enjoy Country without them assuming you mean Toby Keith and Faith Hill.

i see your point, but i think people would look at me even weirder if i said i like "alt-country"
    i see your point, but i think people would look at me even weirder if i said i like "alt-country"

I use the term "old country not that new 'country' shit" Or "Twangy, toe tappin' Country"

Sometimes I just tell people that if they listen to it; I probably don't.
    Cock Fight.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    Sometimes I just tell people that if they listen to it; I probably don't.

haha, i'm gonna borrow that
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    i dont know but i think of horseback riding on acid many different times when listening to lonesome crowded west lol

issac is definitely country influenced.. maybe not as much anymore but in general for sure yes
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Any fans here? Am I alone??? Just picked up a great cd from a local band here in Seattle...North Twin. I've been listening to it all weekend and it rocks!
    Thanks for the North Twin suggestion. Just gave them a listen, not really my cup of tea.

Check out: Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Sera Cahoone, & The Wailin' Jennys (they do a great cover of Old Man)
  • bmwweirdoguybmwweirdoguy Posts: 228
    Also there's a great program every Thursday night here in Seattle on KEXP called "Swingin' Doors" and since they stream, you can listen anywhere in the world!
    http://www.kexp.org
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • I imagine I'm a fan as well. I'm not a fan of the term alt-country either. Two of my favorite bands might be considered alt-country though. The Avett Brothers and the everybodyfields!
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I love Jay Farrar in any form - Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, solo. I remember hearing Son Volt back when "Drown" got some radio play around '96 or so. I thought they were terrible. Now Jay is probably my favorite musician. If only it hadn't taken nearly 10 years for me to appreciate him!

I'm not normally one to limit the music I like to some silly sub-genre, but so many of the bands I've come to love the last few years tend to get the alt-country tag. Early Wilco, Gillian Welch, Neko Case, Kathleen Edwards . . .
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    soclose wrote:
    I love Jay Farrar in any form - Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, solo. I remember hearing Son Volt back when "Drown" got some radio play around '96 or so. I thought they were terrible. Now Jay is probably my favorite musician. If only it hadn't taken nearly 10 years for me to appreciate him!

I'm not normally one to limit the music I like to some silly sub-genre, but so many of the bands I've come to love the last few years tend to get the alt-country tag. Early Wilco, Gillian Welch, Neko Case, Kathleen Edwards . . .

Gillian Welch & Kathleen Edwards are great! I'd add Lucinda Williams & The Jayhawks to the list. Specifically early Jayhawks discs like Tomorrow the Green Grass, Blue Earth, and Hollywood Town Hall.

And you have to mention Golden Smog which has had Jeff Tweedy, a few guys from the Jayhawks, and some of Soul Asylum. among others over the years.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899

North Twin opened up for Flight to Mars this year.. and they rocked. I bought their CD at Easy Street while I was out there. Looking forward to other opportunities to see them in the future.

Peace
    Just me
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Some Jayhawks, older wilco, son volt, farrar solo, MMJ, DBT, Lucinda Williams

I like those guys. I think they are mostly considered alt country.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    I think you can include the newest Wilco in this category as well.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    DBT - Glad I got turned onto this wonderful group.

Slobberbone - Some of their stuff is hit or miss for me, but there are some great tracks there.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    What would fans suggest as THE best starter album for the Jayhawks?

I've heard most if not all of Hollywood Town Hall, and I've got Down By the Old Mainstream by Golden Smog, so they're not competely unfamiliar to me. I just can't decide which CD to start out with.
  • pjthom27pjthom27 Posts: 1
    Here is some stuff I listen to when Im in bluegrass, folk, county mood

Trampled by turtles, Greensky bluegrass, steppin in it, Joshua Davis, The Amity Front, Daisy May, Hackensaw boys.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Go buy a Slobberbone record. Or perhaps all of them.

And check out the Dexateens while you are at it, Patterson from DBTs produced their latest record.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    soclose wrote:
    What would fans suggest as THE best starter album for the Jayhawks?

I've heard most if not all of Hollywood Town Hall, and I've got Down By the Old Mainstream by Golden Smog, so they're not competely unfamiliar to me. I just can't decide which CD to start out with.

Well, I started out with Tomorrow the Green Grass, and that hooked it for me. Hollywood Town Hall is just as good though. After Tomorrow the Green Grass one of the lead singers, Mark Olson left the band, and took a lot of the harmonies with him. I like the later stuff as well, but it went away from the alt-country sound.

And hell, all the mentions of the DBT and Slobberbone (which both fit the bill nicely), I gotta add the Drams, who rose from the ashes of Slobberbone. Their one album Jubilee Dive is a solid record, one of my favorites from the last year.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    Tomorrow the Green Grass is now on my wishlist. Thanks!
  • i Love My Morning Jacket, and Bright Eyes is cool, and wilco is alright
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    It doesn't make immediate sense - but if you've heard Crackers last album I would definitely put them in that category too.
    Ain't gonna suck itself is hilarious.
  • Old 97s are a little more 'poppy,' but have some great songs.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.