Tom Petty's new album review

aqua amesaqua ames Posts: 94
edited August 2006 in Other Music
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/entertainment/15147153.htm

Petty's third solo isn't a must-have
The appropriately titled "Highway Companion" is Tom Petty's third solo album. He and his band, the Heartbreakers, are celebrating their 30th anniversary this year with a huge summer tour.

But for this disc, Petty does the bulk of the work, with help from Heartbreaker Mike Campbell on lead guitar and Petty's Traveling Wilburys mate Jeff Lynne, who plays several instruments.

Despite a boisterous beginning, the 12-song outing is a frequently subdued affair, filled with ballads like the acoustic-based "Damaged by Love" and the sparse, slide-graced "Square One."

Wilburys echoes are heard here intermittently, most notably on the playful, up-tempo "Big Weekend" and the quietly beautiful "Deep South," which recalls vintage Bob Dylan with a melody reminiscent of the bard's "Love Minus Zero/No Limit."

There are a few too many lackluster tracks for this to be a must-have Petty album, but it's got its shining moments. One of the best occurs when he shifts gears for the pop-based "Flirting With Time Baby," which sits comfortably alongside his best.

— Kevin O'Hare, Newhouse News Service
2000: Seattle I & II
2003: Fargo, St Paul, Santa Barbara
2005: The Gorge & Thunder Bay
2006: Chicago I & II, St Paul I & II, Portland, The Gorge I & II,
Honolulu
2009: Seattle I & II, Portland
2011: Vancouver B.C.
2013: Wrigley Field Chicago & Seattle
2014: St. Paul
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Have u listen to it yet? I forgot that was out this wk...what's your opion on it? He's up next for me @ Darien Lake :)
  • I haven't heard the new album yet- I forgot it was coming out until I came across this review.

I went to the PJ / Petty shows in St Paul and I liked one of the new songs, "Saving Grace". I have always liked TP althought I'm not a huge fan, and I had never seen him before. Pretty good show, he plays with good musicians, but his set lists were almost exactly the same both nights.

Have fun at the show! :)
    Honolulu
  • ah, I take album reviews like movie reviews. With a grain of salt.

Sometimes its better not to read a review before hand, so you can go in with out any expectations of what's coming. Let's me have a more honest reaction, whether good or bad.
    Honolulu
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    aqua ames wrote:
    I haven't heard the new album yet- I forgot it was coming out until I came across this review.

I went to the PJ / Petty shows in St Paul and I liked one of the new songs, "Saving Grace". I have always liked TP althought I'm not a huge fan, and I had never seen him before. Pretty good show, he plays with good musicians, but his set lists were almost exactly the same both nights.

Have fun at the show! :)

Thanks! Yeah I've never seen Petty live before so it should be cool but he's "co-bill" (I know, we know what that means) w/ The Allman Brothers and that;s who I'm more going to see.

I'm gonna go p/u the album and I'll be back w/ my review:)
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I didn't read or hear anything about the album prior to getting it...I just got it. And I'm glad that I did.

I'm not the biggest TP fan but I do appreciate the music and have a few things of his. This album's definitely made for the road; the more open the road, the better. It feels good in the car and the songs do some emotional traveling of their own. Still contemplating things, but with a few more years under his belt. Don't know if he's planning on musically calling it a day in a few years but this album almost suggests it. Dig "Flirting With Time" and "Down South".

Nice chugging guitar in "Saving Grace" and I tend to tap the steering wheel a lot when this one's playing. "Square One" is just delicious. The soft acoustic and the slightly sad but sweet lyrics. I really like the simple, repetetive and slow drag of "Turn This Car Around". "Jack" had me at first listen and "Big Weekend" is as carefree as the album gets.

Perhaps it's so easy for me to like this CD because I don't have the burden of comparing it to any of his previous solo stuff. For me the album simply stands alone.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I think the review was dead on, I saw him in St. Paul and the stuff he played off the record sounded ok but when I put the cd on at work a few weeks ago once I noticed it waiting in the back room I was let down. It's just kind of boring.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    the album starts awesome and finishes good. worth getting and listening to repeatedly. IMO
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24