Need some help with GUIDED BY VOICES

frank_blackfrank_black Posts: 156
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I just got alien lanes...sounds great...i have a very limited understanding slash appreciation of GBV...can someone give me some direction for other records...PLEASE :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    well it only took me 12 years to appreciate, but Bee Thousand is one to check out. If I had a nickel for every time I sang along to I Am a Scientist, I'd be retired.
  • So you probably would need around 200 000 to 400 000$ to retire...lets say 400 000$...that means that you sang that song 8 million times!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    So you probably would need around 200 000 to 400 000$ to retire...lets say 400 000$...that means that you sang that song 8 million times!
    It's that good :D
  • haha cool

you know i have heard of this record...it was right before alien lanes correct?

It's just one of those bands that i always said i would check out but never did...now i feel bad.

However i was there for pavement, so i'm thankful for that :)
  • i never listened to them either - but picked up bee thousand in june '05...now i own about 10 of their cd's.

Bee Thousand is hands down your next pick-up. they put out a remastered version last year, but many say the original is better (low-fi should be low-fi - whatever). either way you can't go wrong.

then after that - i'd get any of these. i put them in order of best to worst IMO:

Under The Bushes Under The Stars (maybe MY favorite - even though alien lanes and bee thousand are better. Big Boring Wedding and It's Like Soul Man are two of my favorite songs ever)

Mag Earwhig! (strong album - I Am a Tree and Not Behind the Fighter Jets are AWESOME songs)

Propeller (actually older than bee thousand and alien lanes - this has more of low fi sound - my previous two selections are more polished - first track on this album is kinda like the GBV fan fav...they open shows with it alot)

Isolation Drills

Earthquake Glue

Do The Collapse (not a great album, but just for teenage fbi it is probably worth it)
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i would get human amusements at hourly rates, and then some solo robert pollard, not in my airforce. i enjoy them ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • beautiful thanks
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I agree with what kdpjam said. start out with Human Amusements....that has a good mix of new and old GBV.

eventually you're going to wind up spending all of your money on Robert Pollard.

Here's what I personally recommend:

Box - A box set of their first 4 records and a outtakes disc that is totally brilliant. Some amazing stuff on here. You can find it for like 30 - 35 bucks usally too.

Propeller - This was supposed to be the final GBV record. Bob threw all the best songs he had written up to that point on it. It's in my top 5 favorite Pollard releases. "Over the Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox" is incredible.

Bee Thousand - of course. everyone needs this record.

Under the Bushes - B000 and Alien Lanes make up the firsrt part of this trifecta. UTBUTS was my favorite for a while.

Isolation Drills - This is their best hi-fi record.

Half Smiles of the Decomposed - A very fitting last record. Some really great tracks on here. "Everybody Thinks I'm a Raincloud (When I'm not Looking)", "Girls of Wild Strawberries" (which is Eddies favorite GBV song) "Huffman Prairie Flying Field"

If you want to check out some of the old out of print EP's let me know. I can probably upload them somewhere. just dont tell anyone.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    Propeller - This was supposed to be the final GBV record. Bob threw all the best songs he had written up to that point on it. It's in my top 5 favorite Pollard releases. "Over the Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox" is incredible.

Bee Thousand - of course. everyone needs this record.

Agreed. Over the Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox is one of my favorite GBV songs. I managed to find a copy of the Vampire on Titus/Propeller CD before it went out of print and got re-released as seperate albums.

And Bee Thousand is a definite if you're just getting into them. Very similar to Alien Lanes.

I have all the proper GBV records, and a couple of rarities, but Bob puts out so much damn stuff that it's really hard to keep up!
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • been listening to half smiles...girls of wild strawberries is AMAZING
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    been listening to half smiles...girls of wild strawberries is AMAZING

that whole record is excellent. I love "Huffman Praire Flying Field"

for farrrrrr tooooooo loooonnnnnggggggggg
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits