Led Zeppelin question

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Is the Led Zeppelin album with track listing: Black Dog, Rock And Roll, The Battle Of Evermore, Stairway To Heaven, Misty Mountain Hop, Four Sticks, Going To California, When The Levee Breaks...called Zoso, or is it Led Zeppelin IV?
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    It is actually untitled, but most commonly referred to as "IV."
  • yes i call it "IV"
    I admit it...what's to say......
    I'll relive it...without pain......
    Backstreet lover on the side of the road
    I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I call it "not as good as the other three."
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    I call it "not as good as the other three."

it's a lot better than II
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014

Eh, I don't think so. The first five tracks of II is good shit. I'm not a fan of the songs on IV except for Stairway and When The Levee Breaks. Black Dog is the most overrated Zeppelin song for me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • My zep album ranking (take into consideration I'm not a huge huge fan, but I do love the zep a lot.)

1. II
    2. Houses of the Holy
    3. Physical Graffiti
    4. Led Zeppelin I
    5. III
    6. IV
    7. Presence
    8. In Through The Out Door
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • its the 4th album so thats why people call it "IV", however since its untitled and the inside of the album has the Zoso logo, it is often called that as well - Zeppelin fans will know what your talking about either way, they can basically be used interchangeably
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • I don't think people actually "call" it Zoso verbally, sometimes in print. It's universally known as Led Zeppelin IV, or just 4. Sometimes it's referred to as "Runes". I'm trying to decide i I like this album as much as II. It does have When The Levee Breaks, a top 3 zep song.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    why even debate if they played any songs from any of the albums you guys who have never seen this band would be blown away ,i'm talking from experience blown away this is the best rock band ever ever ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • DOSW wrote:
    Eh, I don't think so. The first five tracks of II is good shit. I'm not a fan of the songs on IV except for Stairway and When The Levee Breaks. Black Dog is the most overrated Zeppelin song for me.

Well I subscribe to the 'to each his own' rule and don't get me wrong, I love Zep II....but there's just such an epic feeling to songs like Levee Breaks, Battle of Evermore, and Four Sticks. I think this album and Houses of the Holy are the best Zep albums as far as "painting pictures" goes. I, II, and III are great but they seem real straight forward compared to IV. I like how Black Dog and Rock N Roll start off the album in the usual Zep tradition of loud, raunchy hard rock. but after those two songs, you're really off on a trip. I prefer Houses of the Holy to it though. and I probably like the first album more as well.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i recently found in through the out door in my house and ripped it onto my mp3 player. i was like damn, they sure as hell don't play these ones on the radio. that album is pretty crappy, although it was their last. the best songs are the first one (in the evening?????could be totally wrong) and all my love.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • "In the Evening" is an awesome song. The middle part of "Carouselambra" is good, but the song has too many keyboards for my taste. When I saw Page/Plant on their "No Quarter" tour, they added the middle section of "Carouselambra" into the middle of "In the Evening." It was great.

"Fool in the RAin" is another great one from that album. "Im Gonna Crawl" is ok. The solo is the best partof it.
    i recently found in through the out door in my house and ripped it onto my mp3 player. i was like damn, they sure as hell don't play these ones on the radio. that album is pretty crappy, although it was their last. the best songs are the first one (in the evening?????could be totally wrong) and all my love.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    "In the Evening" is an awesome song. The middle part of "Carouselambra" is good, but the song has too many keyboards for my taste. When I saw Page/Plant on their "No Quarter" tour, they added the middle section of "Carouselambra" into the middle of "In the Evening." It was great.

"Fool in the RAin" is another great one from that album. "Im Gonna Crawl" is ok. The solo is the best partof it.

oh duh... forgot that song. fool in the rain is good.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • ClariceClarice Posts: 256

I agree.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    II is my least favorite.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    My zep album ranking (take into consideration I'm not a huge huge fan, but I do love the zep a lot.)

1. II
    2. Houses of the Holy
    3. Physical Graffiti
    4. Led Zeppelin I
    5. III
    6. IV
    7. Presence
    8. In Through The Out Door

for me:

Physical G
    III
    IV
    II
    ITTOD
    Houses of the Holy
    Presence
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Isn't "Zoso" a band member's sign...it think Page's one,or?
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • googoo Posts: 226
    luxpjamer wrote:
    Isn't "Zoso" a band member's sign...it think Page's one,or?

right
  • luxpjamer wrote:
    Isn't "Zoso" a band member's sign...it think Page's one,or?

All about the signs, runes, or whatever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_IV (scan down a bit)
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • All about the signs, runes, or whatever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_IV (scan down a bit)

thank you
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    The symbols

Each member of the band chose a personal emblem for the cover. Left to right, their members and meanings:

* Jimmy Page's symbol is generally referred to as "ZoSo", though its symbols have nonalphabetic connotations. It was designed by Page himself.[2]
    The four symbols on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV, representing Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, and Robert Plant (from left to right) respectively. Although the symbols are sometimes referred to as "Runes", only the middle two are runes; the other two are sigils.
    The four symbols on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV, representing Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, and Robert Plant (from left to right) respectively. Although the symbols are sometimes referred to as "Runes", only the middle two are runes; the other two are sigils.
    The source of the ZoSo symbol itself is no longer a mystery but the meaning of it still is; it originated in 'Ars Magica Arteficii' (1557) by Gerolamo Cardano (also known as J. Cardan), an old alchemical grimoire, where it has been identified as a sigil consisting of zodiac signs. The sigil is reproduced in "Dictionary of Occult, Hermetic and Alchemical Sigils" by Fred Gettings, published in 1982 by Routledge & Kegan Paul (see here). The symbol used to represent the planet Saturn for purposes of magic. Page is a Capricorn, a sign ruled by Saturn, and the Z-like symbol is distinctive as a common astrological mark for Saturn. The oSo portion is similar to the alchemic symbol for mercury, also associated with Saturn. In cabalistic or hermetic study, knowledge seekers look to the god Mercury (Hermes, see Hermes Trismegistus and the Hermetica) for guidance and light, more or less the scene that unfolds in the drawing on the inside cover of the album and later acted out by Page in the concert film The Song Remains the Same. This part of the symbol is also strikingly similar to the Lucifer script ciphered by Aleister Crowley in his book The Equinox; and the symbol as a whole strongly resembles characters of the "alphabet of the Magi", a seventeenth century text used for fashioning magical talismans. What it means personally to Page is unknown, as he has never publicly revealed its meaning. His interest in Aleister Crowley, however, is widely known. The guitarist owns many of Crowley's original manuscripts and other effects, including (until the mid-1980s) Crowley's former home on Loch Ness, Boleskine House. In the 1970s Page owned the occult bookshop The Equinox in London, also an enterprise for publishing rare manuscripts.
    * John Paul Jones' symbol is a single circle intersecting 3 vesica pisces (a triquetra). Taken from a book of runes, it symbolises a person with confidence and competence.[2]
    * John Bonham's symbol, the three interlocking rings, represents the trinity of mother, father and child. It could also depict an aerial view of a drum kit. It does in fact represent the pagan idea of trilogies and trios, and, more commonly, is a Christian symbol for the Trinity. In the 1990 Bonham tribute radio special, "It's Been A Long Time", son Jason Bonham stated that the symbol was chosen as a representation of man, woman, and child. Jones's and Bonham's symbols fitting together -- one to the other inside out, inverse images -- is no accident. In jazz music which inspired Led Zeppelin, the bassist and drummer form interlocking parts of a rhythm section. In reality the symbol originally appeared as the emblem of Ballantine beer, which happened to be Bonzo's favorite so when choosing symbols he decided to borrow this one.[2]
    * The symbol for Robert Plant is the feather of the Egyptian goddess Ma'at, representing truth, justice, fairness and writing, encapsulated by an unbroken circle representing life. According to Egyptian mythology, Anubis, the god of judgment and death, would take the heart of those who died and put it on a balance with the feather of Ma'at. If the heart outweighed the feather, the person's soul would go to hell, but on the other hand, if the heart was lighter than the feather, the soul would go to heaven.[2]

There is also a fifth, smaller symbol chosen by guest vocalist Sandy Denny representing her contribution to "The Battle of Evermore"; it appears in the credits list on the inner sleeve of the LP, serving as an asterisk.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09