Miles Davis...

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Anyone? Anyone?

Not to sound like the male nanny from Jerry Maguire, but Miles Davis was extraordinary.
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've got about three thousand jazz albums, and for some reason or other, he's my least favourite of all the "greats". I still can't nail why.
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    he's truly one of the greats! 'Kind of Blue' is simply a legendary album!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I've got about three thousand jazz albums, and for some reason or other, he's my least favourite of all the "greats". I still can't nail why.
    I've never felt that Miles was instrumentally all that incredible. Sure, he knew his way around a horn pretty damn well but I always felt he was a better band leader than an instrumentalist. I mean, few Miles solos affect me emotionally. Now TRANE, he was a musician :)

But I still do like Miles a fair bit. He's just no Dolphy, Coltrane or Mingus.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Huge Miles fan here, and an overall jazz fan. I like all kinds of jazz ranging from pre-Miles jazz to fusion jazz.

And to the guy who sais "few Miles solos affect me emotionally": Have you heard "In A Silent Way"? When Miles comes in after the intro section, that is absolute bliss.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I've never felt that Miles was instrumentally all that incredible. Sure, he knew his way around a horn pretty damn well but I always felt he was a better band leader than an instrumentalist. I mean, few Miles solos affect me emotionally. Now TRANE, he was a musician :)

But I still do like Miles a fair bit. He's just no Dolphy, Coltrane or Mingus.

Aye.
    BinFrog wrote:
    Huge Miles fan here, and an overall jazz fan. I like all kinds of jazz ranging from pre-Miles jazz to fusion jazz.

And to the guy who sais "few Miles solos affect me emotionally": Have you heard "In A Silent Way"? When Miles comes in after the intro section, that is absolute bliss.
    Of course I've heard In a Silent Way :) I don't make these comments without knowing what I'm talking about. My favourite aspects of all of Miles' albums are always the other musicians. Coltrane on Kind of Blue, McLaughlin on Jack Johnson etc.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • this is weird. me and a friend were just talking about "kind of blue" a couple days ago. im going to download it right now.
    this is weird. me and a friend were just talking about "kind of blue" a couple days ago. im going to download it right now.

Buy it on disc. You need the sound quality.
  • Miles is amazing. I posted a favorite Miles album on here a couple of days ago.

It was his later work that I find the best.
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Miles is amazing. I posted a favorite Miles album on here a couple of days ago.

It was his later work that I find the best.
    How late are you talking about?
    SLH916 wrote:
    I was just thinking that :p Are we talking Bitches Brew/Jack Johnson etc or are we talking Tutu? Sure hope it isn't the latter.
  • SLH916 wrote:

In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Tribute To Jack Johnson.
    In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Tribute To Jack Johnson.

So mid-era. Late 60's and early 70's.
  • BinFrog wrote:
    So mid-era. Late 60's and early 70's.

Yes.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I love Miles, although I do kind of agree that he is more important as a band leader/idea man than an actual player. I do love his solo on So What though. It's just pure, simple blues, phrased brilliantly, and it's absolutely perfect. You have to respect a guy who changed the entire course of jazz music at least 3 times in his career (I'm thinking Birth of the Cool, Kind Of Blue, and Bitches Brew). I love his fusion stuff too. I highly recommend the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions box set to anyone who wants to hear some of the best musicians of all time just kicking ass and taking names. John McLaughlin is just fucking scary on it.
  • eoboeobo Posts: 102
    Miles knew a lot about the groove and how to make music flow. he was an awesome band leader.

His later albums, like Do Wop and Tu Tu disappointed me though. Although I didnt listen to them at the time they came out, I just can't understand how that music can be seen as good, especially compared to his work in the 50s and 60s
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Now Ornette Coleman, he was a great musician - FREE JAZZ!!!
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    I highly recommend the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions box set to anyone who wants to hear some of the best musicians of all time just kicking ass and taking names. John McLaughlin is just fucking scary on it.

I want that so bad, but only on vinyl and I can't find it anywhere. I have the complete In A Silent Way sessions on vinyl and it's fucking amazing.